BER encoding - must NULL be primitive?

jahhaj

Aug 15, 2006, 7:36:42 AM8/15/06
I'm having to write some new code to interpret ASN.1/BER produced by
another application. One thing I've noticed about the other application
is that it outputs a NULL value with a constructed encoding. In other
words it outputs (in hex) 25 00 for a NULL value, instead of the 05 00
that I would expect.

Is this legal?

Thanks,
John

Holmespundit

Aug 16, 2006, 9:24:46 AM8/16/06
No, it isn't really legal. Yes, "the encoding of a null value shall be
primitive." See ITU-T X.690, section 8.8, page 10.

--Holmespundit

--
Holmespun Solutions, LLC

jahhaj

Aug 16, 2006, 1:17:45 PM8/16/06
OK, thanks. The reason I ask is that snacc4j generated code fails when
NULL is not primitive. Looks like I'm going to have to write some code
to filter the bytes before they reach snacc4j.

John