no address records (A or AAAA) for mx record

Joshua Frugé

Jun 27, 2008, 12:09:19 PM6/27/08
I have a zone defined with sub zones. The zone has mx records that
point to the sub zone.

Such as the mx records for lsu.edu

lsu.edu -> MX 10 smtp005.ocs.lsu.edu

smtp005.ocs.lsu.edu has an A record defined, but when I run
named-checkzone I get an error:
zone lsu.edu/IN: lsu.edu/MX 'smtp005.ocs.lsu.edu' has no address records
(A or AAAA)

everything is working fine, so I am just curious if I'm doing something
wrong. Everything is dynamic, and I'm having trouble creating MX
records with nsupdate, so I am wondering if this is related.

Running Bind 9.4.2 on freebsd 7

thanks,

--
Joshua Frugé
Information Technology Services

R Dicaire

Jun 27, 2008, 12:22:28 PM6/27/08
On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Joshua Frugé <jfr...@lsu.edu> wrote:
> lsu.edu -> MX 10 smtp005.ocs.lsu.edu

is ocs a separate zone?

--
aRDy Music and Rick Dicaire present:
http://www.ardynet.com

Joshua Frugé

Jun 27, 2008, 12:30:18 PM6/27/08

R Dicaire wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Joshua Frugé <jfr...@lsu.edu> wrote:
>
>> lsu.edu -> MX 10 smtp005.ocs.lsu.edu
>>

> is ocs a separate zone?

Yes, ocs is a separate zone.

Mark Andrews

Jun 28, 2008, 5:20:19 AM6/28/08

> I have a zone defined with sub zones. The zone has mx records that
> point to the sub zone.
>
> Such as the mx records for lsu.edu
>
> smtp005.ocs.lsu.edu has an A record defined, but when I run
> named-checkzone I get an error:
> zone lsu.edu/IN: lsu.edu/MX 'smtp005.ocs.lsu.edu' has no address records
> (A or AAAA)
>
> everything is working fine, so I am just curious if I'm doing something
> wrong. Everything is dynamic, and I'm having trouble creating MX
> records with nsupdate, so I am wondering if this is related.

You most probably havn't correctly delegated ocs.lsu.edu,
no NS records in the lsu.edu zone. named and named-checkzone
look at the zone in isolation and there are no A or AAAA
records in the zone. Add the NS RRset to delegate ocs.lsu.edu
and the error message will go away.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC