Re: CNAME restrictions

Matus UHLAR - fantomas

Aug 4, 2020, 1:35:00 PM8/4/20
to bind-...@lists.isc.org
On 04.08.20 17:29, Leroy Tennison wrote:
>I have a situation where, due to the system's location (IP subnet), its DNS
> name is <webserver>.<internal subdomain>.datavoiceint.com. We have a
> certificate for *.datavoiceint.com which we prefer to use

wildcard in certificates only covers one level of subdomains, so
*.datavoiceint.com will cover <internal subdomain>.datavoiceint.com but not
anything under it.

you will have to strip the <webserver> part or get other certificate.

Microsoft dick is soft to do no harm

Reindl Harald

Aug 10, 2020, 4:38:40 AM8/10/20
to bind-...@lists.isc.org

Am 04.08.20 um 19:34 schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
> On 04.08.20 17:29, Leroy Tennison wrote:
>> I have a situation where, due to the system's location (IP subnet),
>> its DNS
>> name is <webserver>.<internal subdomain>.datavoiceint.com.  We have a
>> certificate for *.datavoiceint.com which we prefer to use
>
> wildcard in certificates only covers one level of subdomains, so
> *.datavoiceint.com will cover <internal subdomain>.datavoiceint.com but not
> anything under it.
>
> you will have to strip the  <webserver> part or get other certificate

proper wildcard certifiocates are looking like this

X509v3 Subject Alternative Name: DNS:*.buildserver.thelounge.net
DNS:*.thelounge.net
DNS:thelounge.net

in other words: you have "*.domain.tld" and "domain.tld" in your SAN