Reverse lookup response format

Brad Stevenson

Aug 25, 2020, 10:29:44 AM8/25/20
to bind-...@lists.isc.org

Hello, I apologize if this has been discussed before. I tried to search the archives but couldn’t find anything.

I would like to have the behavior of the reverse lookup responses to only include the hostname, not the hostname with the reverse zone appended. So for example:

# nslookup 192.168.2.206

206.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa      name = server1.ctois.local

Instead of the way it is now:

# nslookup 192.168.2.206

206.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa      name = server1.ctois.local.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa.

Is this possible? Thanks in advance.

Warren Kumari

Aug 25, 2020, 10:57:07 AM8/25/20
to Brad Stevenson, bind-users
Yup -- you just need a period ('.') at the end of the name --
presumably in the zone file you have server1.ctois.local - that needs
to be server1.ctois.local. (without the period the server doesn't
know that the name is fully qualified and adds the zone name...

idea in the first place.
of pants.
---maf

tale

Aug 25, 2020, 10:57:15 AM8/25/20
to Brad Stevenson, bind-users
> Instead of the way it is now:
> # nslookup 192.168.2.206
> 206.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa name = server1.ctois.local.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa.

In your zone file be sure that the name that is the target of the PTR
records has a final dot. Without the trailing dot, the names are
interpreted as relative to the current origin.

Anand Buddhdev

Aug 25, 2020, 10:59:14 AM8/25/20
to Brad Stevenson, bind-...@lists.isc.org
On 25/08/2020 16:29, Brad Stevenson wrote:

Hi Brad,

> I would like to have the behavior of the reverse lookup responses to only
> include the hostname, not the hostname with the reverse zone appended. So
> for example:
>
> # nslookup 192.168.2.206
>
> 206.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa name = server1.ctois.local

In your zone file, append a dot to the server name, like this:

server1.ctois.local.

Regards,
Anand