Converting a single .dcm file to a dicomdir fileset

Boudewijn Rempt

Jan 19, 2005, 5:51:01 AM1/19/05
Our customers think that if I simply convert a .dcm file that contains a
lossless encoded XA movie to a dicomdir fileset they'll be able to view the
images with more viewers -- there are very few viewers that can show
the .dcm file.

I'm not sure whether they're right, or whether I'd need to do more
conversion along the way, but I am searching for a java-based tool to do a
simple conversion automatically to give me a chance at testing the
assumptions. But I'm turning up a blank -- does such a conversion tool
exist at all?

--
Boudewijn Rempt | "Geef mij maar zuurtjes."
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi

Marco Eichelberg

Jan 20, 2005, 8:26:39 AM1/20/05
Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Our customers think that if I simply convert a .dcm file that contains a
> lossless encoded XA movie to a dicomdir fileset they'll be able to view the
> images with more viewers -- there are very few viewers that can show
> the .dcm file.

This may very well be the case because many viewers, especially for
cardiac XA movies, have been designed mainly for reading DICOM CDs
which always contain a DICOMDIR.

> I'm not sure whether they're right, or whether I'd need to do more
> conversion along the way, but I am searching for a java-based tool to do a
> simple conversion automatically to give me a chance at testing the
> assumptions. But I'm turning up a blank -- does such a conversion tool
> exist at all?

I cannot speak about a Java tool, but the "dcmmkdir" tool from OFFIS
DCMTK will certainly do the job. Download at ttp://dicom.offis.de/dcmtk

PS: Before creating a DICOMDIR, make sure your DICOM XA file has a file
name that conforms to the restrictions the DICOM standard defines for
most storage media, i.e. max. 8 characters for the name, no extension,
only A-Z, 0-9 and underscore in the name.

Regards,
Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS

Boudewijn Rempt

Jan 21, 2005, 3:28:57 AM1/21/05
Marco Eichelberg wrote:

> I cannot speak about a Java tool, but the "dcmmkdir" tool from OFFIS
> DCMTK will certainly do the job. Download at ttp://dicom.offis.de/dcmtk

Thanks -- I'll be experimenting with that right away!

--
Boudewijn Rempt

dio...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2015, 12:50:53 PM8/3/15
Did it work for you? I have a dcm files and I want to create a DICOMDIR file from these files in order to open it in a software