Series filtering to rule out localizers/scout series

Quentin Plumier

Oct 27, 2022, 4:05:07 AM10/27/22

I have been trying to filter series by tagging them when they are localizers.
However, I realized the imagetype dicom field is not normalized when it comes to localizers.
I've been able to filter out series containing typed localizers as well as series that don't have major patient position/orientation (which I would call only one subserie) changes and are tagged as localizers in the series description dicom field.
Although I've been filtering out almost all cases of localizers, the one case where in some series, the first image is a localizer.

The question I wanted to ask is, can the manufacturer create rules concerning where the localizer is placed ? Also, can the image type label be normalized in some way to recognize a localizer ?

Thanks all