Patient CD best practices for big studies

Paolo Gibellini

Feb 1, 2021, 3:58:25 AM2/1/21
Hello,
I need to produce a patient CD for a very big study which doesn't
fit on a single DVD. I'm not allowed to use the compression, for a
series of reasons that would take a long time to tell.

The physician expects to open the images using a viewer embedded on the
media (although this is not recommended practice - but I have no control
over the physician and his expectations).

I can characterize the preview so that it is clear which images are
contained in each media, but my DICOM Viewer cannot handle series
spanned across multiple disks, and this could be misleading for the
physician.

I can see three possible scenarios:

1. Put the DICOM Viewer on the first media and use operating
instructions that tell the physician to copy the contents of the various
media to a hard disk folder and start the viewer from there.

2. Find a new DICOM Viewer that is capable of handling images spanned
across multiple media. Do you know any such viewer? I am open to
suggestions.

3. Orientate to a solution other than the Patient CD (e.g. WADO access
to images).

Generalizing the problem, what could be the best practices for splitting
huge studies across multiple media?

Thank you in advance,
Paolo

David Gobbi

Feb 1, 2021, 12:46:25 PM2/1/21
So the study is too large to fit on a DVD, but can each series fit on a DVD? If so, It seems that there is a fourth option, which of course is a compromise:

4. Split the study across DVDs (ensure that each series remains whole), and put the DICOM viewer on each DVD.

Michael Onken

Feb 2, 2021, 4:29:24 AM2/2/21
On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 6:46:25 PM UTC+1, david...@gmail.com wrote:
> So the study is too large to fit on a DVD, but can each series fit on a DVD? If so, It seems that there is a fourth option, which of course is a compromise:
>
> 4. Split the study across DVDs (ensure that each series remains whole), and put the DICOM viewer on each DVD.

or 5. use an application profile that allows for different media, e.g. USB external hard drive or flash drive, if your software is able to write those?

Best,
Michael

Paolo Gibellini

Feb 3, 2021, 3:43:58 AM2/3/21
David Gobbi wrote on 01/02/2021 18:46:
> So the study is too large to fit on a DVD, but can each series fit on a DVD? If so, It seems that there is a fourth option, which of course is a compromise:
>
> 4. Split the study across DVDs (ensure that each series remains whole), and put the DICOM viewer on each DVD.

Thank you, David, as you say, it's a compromise, but i think i'll do so,
thanks for the suggestion,

Paolo

Paolo Gibellini

Feb 3, 2021, 3:49:03 AM2/3/21
Thank you, Michael,
the software is able to write on removable drives, but the problem
is that is difficult to enable writing protection (I need to release a
read-only media) on an USB stick for a generic Operating System.
I think I'll follow the suggestion of David.

Paolo