DICOM Toolkit Survey

SBSimon

Jul 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/18/96

I am in the process of putting together a survey of available DICOM
Toolkits (both commercial and public) as part of a consulting project.
Has anyone already done such a survey? Care to share your results? I am
particularly interested in finding out about ease of use and level of
support, since that information is harder to come by. Anyone have high
praise or frustrations with the toolkit they are using?

Sandy Simon
Trillium Technology, Inc.
E-mail: sbs...@aol.com

Greg Poole

Jul 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/18/96
to sbs...@aol.com

Sandy,

I and others have posted similar requests to this newsgroup and for some
reason no one replies. Maybe nobody wants to hurt the business prospects
of the vendors involved since this is still a fledgling business. I have
had some experience with a few toolkits and have found them to be all a
bit frustrating to use, but I don't place the blame on the toolkits. The
DICOM standard is still evolving and the toolkits are based on that
shifting ground. Also, the DICOM standard is not an easy document to
read or understand. Where questions arise, the toolkit implementors try
to give their all to interpreting the standard as best they can. If you
are not happy with a toolkit you are using, just remember that without
it you'd be doing it yourself from scratch. Then it starts to look much
better...

With all that said, here is at least a list of all of the DICOM toolkits
that I am aware of.

Merge-COM-3 Advanced Integrator's Toolkit
Merge Technologies, Inc.
1126 S. 70th Street, Suite N508B
Milwaukee, WI 53214-3151
414-475-4300 phone
414-475-3940 fax

AN/API (ACR-NEMA Application Programmer's Interface)
DeJarnette Research Systems, Inc.
401 Washington Ave, Suite 700
Towson, MD 21204
410-583-0680 phone
410-583-0696 fax

Mitra's DICOM Toolkit
Mitra Imaging, Inc.
115 Randall Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
N2V 1C5 Canada
519-746-2900 phone
519-746-3745 fax

KHIS (Kodak Health Imaging Systems) DICOM 3.0 Programmers Toolkit
Kodak Health Imaging Systems, Inc.
18325 Waterview Parkway
Dallas, TX 75252
This toolkit is no longer being marketed outside of Kodak :(

DICOM 3.0 Library
Duke University Medical Center
Department of Radiology
Box 3808
Durham, NC 27710
919-684-7643 phone
919 684-7834 phone

There are also some public domain implementations of DICOM avaiable via
the internet. The most widely known one is probably the Central Test
Node (CTN) of Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology at the Washington
University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri. It is a fairly
complete package containing upwards of 500 pages of documentation.

To gain access to all of the internet-avaiable DICOM packages, go to the
following address using a web browser:
http://www.xray.hmc.psu.edu/dicom/dicom_home.html

It is the home address for the DICOM 3.0 Standard and will give you more
information than you will ever want to know about DICOM.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

regards,

Greg

Greg Poole email: gr...@vitalimages.com
Vital Images, Inc. voice: 515-472-7726 x109
505 N. 4th Street fax: 515-472-1661
Fairfield, IA 52556 http://www.vitalimages.com

David Clunie

Jul 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/20/96

In article <31EEBB...@vitalimages.com>, Greg Poole <gr...@vitalimages.com> writes:

>I and others have posted similar requests to this newsgroup and for some
>reason no one replies. Maybe nobody wants to hurt the business prospects
>of the vendors involved since this is still a fledgling business. I have

I don't think this is entirely fair. Both my FAQ in Part 8, and the DICOM
Resource list that is hosted at Merge (now on behalf of the DICOM
Implementors' Workshop) listed various commercial and freely available
kits, though neither review the pros and cons of each ... that would be
a fine idea if someone has that much experience with them.

>With all that said, here is at least a list of all of the DICOM toolkits
>that I am aware of.

>Merge Technologies, Inc.
>DeJarnette Research Systems, Inc.
>Mitra Imaging, Inc.

>Kodak Health Imaging Systems, Inc.

>Duke University Medical Center

>There are also some public domain implementations of DICOM avaiable via
>the internet. The most widely known one is probably the Central Test

An obvious omission here are the UCDMC libraries, which also work on
the Mac and NT as well as various Unix flavours. Also worth looking at
are the Indianna University quick and dirty CGI utilities in C for doing
DICOM Q/R from web pages.

david
---
David A. Clunie (dcl...@flash.us.com)

at home: http://www.rahul.net/dclunie/html/
alt.image.medical FAQ: http://www.rahul.net/dclunie/medical-image-faq/html/
dicom3tools: ftp://ftp.rahul.net/pub/dclunie/dicom3tools/
PGP Public Key from: ftp://ftp.rahul.net/pub/dclunie/pgpkey.asc

Hans Helge Erbe

Jul 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/22/96
to dcl...@flash.us.com

Hi David,

I have some remarks for your FAQ. I took your list and asked about an
offer. Here are their reactions:

> >With all that said, here is at least a list of all of the DICOM toolkits
> >that I am aware of.
> >Merge Technologies, Inc.

Quick answer, fine.

> >DeJarnette Research Systems, Inc.

No reaction.

> >Mitra Imaging, Inc.

"Thank you for your interest. For now, we are limiting our sales
to the major manufacturers only. We just do not yet have the support
structure to handle more developers."

> >Kodak Health Imaging Systems, Inc.

First I tried to send a message to the email address you gave:
<c...@khis.com>, but got the following answer: <Returned mail: Cannot
send message for 3 days>.

So I tried <Dave.Best @ khis.kodak.com>. I've got his address from the
"Directory of DICOM Resources" which is available at
http://www.merge.com.

He wrote:

"Thank you for your interest in Kodak. Some time ago we were exploring
the possibility of offering a commercial DICOM toolkit. However, at
this time we do not have plans to offer one. Thus, I am sorry that we
cannot help."

> >Duke University Medical Center

Not tried.

Bye
Hans Erbe
--
Hans Erbe h...@ukrv.de
Virchow-Klinikum

SBSimon

Jul 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/22/96

Thanks to several of you who have given me some good toolkit information.
A quick followup to Hans Erbe's summary of responses:
1- I was able to get information from both DeJarnette and Mitra.
2- After talking by phone to Duke University, it appears they are not
ready to market yet, but are planning to sell a toolkit in the future.
--
Sandy Simon
Trillium Technology, Inc

Mueller Thomas Dipl.-Phys.

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

David Clunie (dcl...@flash.us.com) wrote:
[snip]
: An obvious omission here are the UCDMC libraries, which also work on

: the Mac and NT as well as various Unix flavours. Also worth looking at
: are the Indianna University quick and dirty CGI utilities in C for doing
: DICOM Q/R from web pages.

: david
: ---
: David A. Clunie (dcl...@flash.us.com)

Could you please post the appropriate URL for the CGI utilities?
Thanks in advance,

Thomas

Thomas Mueller, MZ fuer Nervenheilkunde - Abt. Neuroradiologie
Rudolf-Bultmann-Str. 8, D-35039 Marburg
Tel:(49) (0)6421 28 5241 email:
Fax:(49) (0)6421 28 8967 muel...@post.med.uni-marburg.de

David Clunie

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

In article <4t58c1$e...@surz03fi.HRZ.Uni-Marburg.DE>, muel...@papin.HRZ.Uni-Marburg.DE (Mueller Thomas Dipl.-Phys.) writes:

>Could you please post the appropriate URL for the CGI utilities?

From Part 8 of the FAQ:

http://foyt.indyrad.iupui.edu/medres/iurad2.html Sample gateway
ftp://foyt.indyrad.iupui.edu/pub Implementation
gcbr...@foyt.indyrad.iupui.edu Grover Browning

---