The Difference with Study-ID, Accession number and Study-UID

Take Funahashi

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

Hi, all.

I cannot understand the difference of meannig with Study-ID,Accession
number and Study instance UID.

Please tell me with the meanning of these IODs.

Best Regards,
Take Funahashi.
--
*-------------------------------------------------*
* Electricity, Biology, Seem to me it's Chemestry *

Al Belden

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

Take Funahashi wrote:

Hi, all.

I cannot understand the difference of meannig with
Study-ID,Accession
number and Study instance UID.

Please tell me with the meanning of these IODs.

Take,
The study id and accession number are information system generated
numbers. The accession number is supposed to uniquely identify the study
on the information system. The study id is sort of catch-all for any
number generated by the IS (other than the accession number) associated
with the study. It could be an order number, for example. The study uid
is usually generated by the modality on which the exam is done.

Al Belden
Shared Medical Systems

Steve Moore

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

Take Funahashi wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I cannot understand the difference of meannig with Study-ID,Accession
> number and Study instance UID.
>
> Please tell me with the meanning of these IODs.

These attributes allow implementations to use different identifiers
to refer to a study or order. The specifics are defined in
Part 3 of the standard, but I will paraphrase here with some
editorial.

Study ID is a machine generated or user generated identifier for
the study. This means it is probably generated at the
modality or typed in by the technologist.
Accession Number is generated by the HIS/RIS and identifies the
order for the imaging service. I like to believe that
there is a one-one correspondence between the order
for service and the study, but that is not necessarily
true. One order could lead to multiple studies.
Study Instance UID is generated by the modality or by the PACS
and is defined to be a globally unique identifier for
that study.

In the perfect world, these steps happen:
1. HIS/RIS generates order for imaging service.
2. HIS/RIS or PACS sees order and generates Modality Worklist entry
for the study. This entry will include the Study Instance UID
to identify the study.
3. Modality queries for Modality Worklist to obtain the Study
Instance UID as well as patient demographics and other information
needed for the study. This may also include the accession number.

In the less than perfect world:
1. HIS/RIS generates order for imaging service. This includes
something that can be thought of as an accession number.
I have opinions as to where to get this from the electronic
order, but I don't believe this is standardized.
2. Instrument does not have electronic link to IS. Either it
does not do modality worklist or HIS/RIS or PACS does not
do it. Instrument generates its own Study Instance UID.
Technologist may or may not enter something at the console
for the accession number. Instrument probably generates its
own Study ID.
3. Instrument sends images to workstation or PACS. PACS has to
figure out how to correlate the header information in the
image with what it finds in the original electronic order.

Some older information systems generate numbers that are thought
of as accession numbers that are not unique. They may reset to
0 after a particular count or maybe at midnight. I think
newer implementations will generate a number that is unique.

More opinion is that handling of these numbers that are related
to things from the HIS/RIS may require knowledge of how the local
site uses the information. We find the accession number very
important because it is a key number during the dictation
process. Other institutions may have other opinions.

Steve Moore
s...@wuerl.wustl.edu
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology