proper choice of (0018,0022) Scan Options of MR IMAGE MODULE for a simple MR sequence

Stefan Roell

Oct 5, 2021, 9:40:51 AM10/5/21
I am new to this group; I have tried to verify that this topic is not already covered below.

The Defined Terms of DICOM tag (0018,0022) Scan Options of an MR IMAGE MODULE list certain special case sequence features, none of which may be applicable in a simple MR sequence; in which case one would like to select “NONE”, which is however not listed as a Defined Term; not specifying the tag along the rule “Empty if Unknown” seems neither correct since it is KNOWN that none of the predefined terms apply. So how shall the tag be specified if none of its predefined terms is applicable?

Your help is appreciated!
Best, Stefan

Jörg Riesmeier

Oct 5, 2021, 1:59:53 PM10/5/21
Hi Stefan,

you could either define your own term (see definition if "Defined Term" in PS3.5) or use an empty value according to the following Note in PS3.5 Section 7.4.3:

"The intent of Type 2 Data Elements is to allow a zero length to be conveyed when the operator or application does not​ know its value or has a specific reason for not specifying its value. It is the intent that the device should support these​ Data Elements.​"

This is at least my interpretation of the standard text.

Regards,
Jörg

Stefan Roell

Oct 5, 2021, 4:50:12 PM10/5/21
Hi Jörg,
thank you so much for your thoughtful and prompt answer, which is hitting the nail.
Now I feel better leaving the Element empty.
Best regards,
Stefan