Ambiguity in Standard on first Coded Entry TID-4003

pierr...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2021, 7:30:23 AM12/8/21
Hi,
in standard DICOM we can find the coded Entry :
EV (111034, DCM, "Individual Impression/ Recommendation")
https://dicom.nema.org/medical/dicom/current/output/chtml/part16/sect_TID_4003.html

But In the DICOM Controlled Terminology Definitions (Normative) the coded Entry is
"111034","Individual Impression/Recommendation"

https://dicom.nema.org/medical/dicom/current/output/chtml/part16/chapter_D.html#DCM_111034

I have seen many use of "111034","Individual Impression/Recommendation" but I also see one manufacter which writes of EV (111034, DCM, "Individual Impression/ Recommendation")
Which writing is the good one ?

Pierre

David Clunie

Dec 12, 2021, 7:04:38 PM12/12/21
The preferred code meaning would be without the space, i.e., "Individual Impression/Recommendation".

I will fix the standard so that a zero-width space is used consistently in all uses of DCM:111034, which will allow the columns to break after the slash when rendered and not be forced to be excessively wide (which was presumably why I put in the spurious space in TID 4003). The release notes describe that zero-width spaces may be encountered in the DocBook XML source and are intended to be filtered out before use.

Mathieu Malaterre

Dec 13, 2021, 2:46:26 AM12/13/21
On Monday, December 13, 2021 at 1:04:38 AM UTC+1, dcl...@dclunie.com wrote:
> The preferred code meaning would be without the space, i.e., "Individual Impression/Recommendation".
>
> I will fix the standard so that a zero-width space is used consistently in all uses of DCM:111034, which will allow the columns to break after the slash when rendered and not be forced to be excessively wide (which was presumably why I put in the spurious space in TID 4003). The release notes describe that zero-width spaces may be encountered in the DocBook XML source and are intended to be filtered out before use.

IMHO, it would also be nice to remind the audience about usage of zero-width spaces in each resp. `Conventions` section. Eg. part06 does not describes this use of zero-width spaces:

* https://dicom.nema.org/medical/dicom/current/output/chtml/part06/chapter_5.html

Copy/paste error could happen.

2cts