DICOM image does not display. "Dicom dataset read failed" error message.

Howard Mann

Jan 10, 2022, 3:40:13 PM1/10/22

I'm trying to view a .dcm image in Osirix.

It does not display anything.

Using Dicom Validator, (in OsiriX) I see the following at the top:

___

(0xe000,0x104f) ? Error - Tag read failed - Implicit VR encoding even though supposed to be explicit
Error - Dicom dataset read failed

___

Any ideas what this means ?

Thanks!

Howard

Narendra Karanam

Jan 10, 2022, 10:43:13 PM1/10/22
Change preferred syntax to Implicit Little Endian and again. By default probably Osirix might be expecting Explicit Little Endian VR encoding.

Howard Mann

Jan 10, 2022, 11:46:58 PM1/10/22
On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 8:43:13 PM UTC-7, nar...@gmail.com wrote:
> Change preferred syntax to Implicit Little Endian and again. By default probably Osirix might be expecting Explicit Little Endian VR encoding.

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "Change preferred syntax to Implicit Little Endian *and again*"

When I inspect the metdata of the file and the TransferSyntaxUID Tag, I see: 1.2.840.10008.1.2.2 [BigEndian Explicit]

A different image file on the same patient has the same Tag value and displays properly.

Howard

David Gobbi

Jan 11, 2022, 6:41:20 PM1/11/22
One of the data elements in that particular file might have an incorrect offset (VL) to the next item. I say this because (0xe000,0x104f) is not a valid tag. No tags in the standard start with 0xe000. However, there is a tag ​(0xfffe, 0xe000) that marks the beginning of an encapsulated item (but that might be a red herring).

The BigEndianExplicit syntax is rare and was retired long ago. Files that use it are either very old, or the files were converted (by accident?) from a different syntax.

If you know where the files originated (maybe a PACS or another OsiriX?), it might be possible to re-export the files as little endian. Or if somebody sent you these files, politely explain the situation and ask them to re-send.

And sometimes glitches in the file's structure can be corrected with a hex editor. On macOS I've used xxd on the command-line. Not fun.