microphone

davide

Oct 25, 2006, 3:26:47 AM10/25/06
Hi all,
do someone know a software called MICROPHONE
used as communication tool via RS422 on Macintosh?
Tnx, Davide

Davide F.

Oct 25, 2006, 3:56:09 AM10/25/06

Davide Ferrari RE ITALY

isw

Oct 26, 2006, 12:25:30 AM10/26/06
In article
<davferraNOSPAMPLEA...@host158-164-dynamic.54-82-r.retai
l.telecomitalia.it>,
davferraNO...@tin.it (Davide F.) wrote:

> Hi all,
> do someone know a software called MICROPHONE
> used as communication tool via RS422 on Macintosh?

ISTR that was the name of a terminal emulator for Macs back about 1988
or so. It would have been used for a dial-up connection to a BBoard or
to a shell account on a UNIX host.

I think you mean "RS-232" instead of RS422, BTW.

Isaac

Mark Geary

Oct 26, 2006, 5:05:29 PM10/26/06
In article <isw-83F513.2...@newsgroups.comcast.net>,

isw <i...@witzend.com> wrote:
> In article
> <davferraNOSPAMPLEA...@host158-164-dynamic.54-82-r.retai
> l.telecomitalia.it>,
> davferraNO...@tin.it (Davide F.) wrote:
>
> > used as communication tool via RS422 on Macintosh?
>
> I think you mean "RS-232" instead of RS422, BTW.

Yes and no. Macs has RS-422 ports, but with the proper cable, it could
talk to an RS-232 port with no one the wiser.

Mark Geary

--
"It's going to be a tough one Sam...Ziggy hasn't got a clue and the
guy in the waiting room keeps asking me if I want a jelly baby."

Clark Martin

Oct 28, 2006, 1:48:20 AM10/28/06
In article <v6CdnfsCMt6EvtzY...@io.com>,
ge...@fnord.io.com (Mark Geary) wrote:

> In article <isw-83F513.2...@newsgroups.comcast.net>,
> isw <i...@witzend.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <davferraNOSPAMPLEA...@host158-164-dynamic.54-82-r.retai
> > l.telecomitalia.it>,
> > davferraNO...@tin.it (Davide F.) wrote:
> >
> > > used as communication tool via RS422 on Macintosh?
> >
> > I think you mean "RS-232" instead of RS422, BTW.
>
> Yes and no. Macs has RS-422 ports, but with the proper cable, it could
> talk to an RS-232 port with no one the wiser.
>
> Mark Geary

Mac serial ports meet no standards fully. They are part RS-422, part
RS-232, part RS-423 and part RS-485. Generally it will work for any of
those.

--
Clark Martin

glen herrmannsfeldt

Nov 1, 2006, 1:45:56 AM11/1/06
Clark Martin wrote:

(snip)

> Mac serial ports meet no standards fully. They are part RS-422, part
> RS-232, part RS-423 and part RS-485. Generally it will work for any of
> those.

Do they still have serial ports?

I always thought that they were supposed to be RS-422, but it doesn't
surprise me at all that they aren't standard.

Apple has always been just a little off. AAUI with a 5V power supply
instead of the 12V of AUI. SCSI with a 25 pin connector, removing
the advantage of twisted pair cabling. Direct driving a SCSI port
from the SCSI chip without any buffering.

-- glen

Clark Martin

Nov 1, 2006, 10:37:53 PM11/1/06
In article <z42dnaKJZIf339XY...@comcast.com>,
glen herrmannsfeldt <g...@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

Most of the oddball connectors were to make them fit along the back
panel.

no, serial ports were last seen on the G3 Beige Power Macs and the Pismo.

RS-422 is balanced, 0-5V.

RS-232 is +/- 6-12(??)V single ended.

RS-423 is single ended 0-5V

RS-485 is multidrop balanced 0-5V

Apple's serial port is balanced +/-4V.

Operating it single ended by using the "-" line will work with RS-232 or
RS-423.

Operating it as balanced will work with RS-422.

Operating it as balanced with the transmit and receive tied together
works as RS-485 and is used for LocalTalk.