[SCMP] CIA grades anti-virus programmes; some don’t come out well

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 10, 2017, 11:32:43 AM3/10/17

CIA grades anti-virus programmes; some don’t come out well

Full story:
http://www.scmp.com/tech/enterprises/article/2077242/cia-grades-anti-virus-programmes-some-dont-come-out-well?cx_tag=recommend_desktop#cxrecs_s

Peppering the 8,000 pages of purported Central Intelligence Agency
hacking data released Tuesday by WikiLeaks are reviews of some of the
world’s most popular anti-virus products.

The hackers are quoted taking potshots at anti-virus firms, suggesting
the American intelligence agencies are keenly aware of flaws in the
products meant to be keeping us all safe online.

The data published by WikiLeaks isn’t systematic enough to draw firm
conclusions about the reliability of one product or another and the
uncertain dating means the CIA’s critiques provide more of a snapshot
than an overview.

Still, the posts show America’s top cyberspies aren’t always flattering
about commonly used security software.

* COMODO
* KASPERSKY LAB
* AVIRA
* AVG
* F-SECURE
* BITDEFENDER

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3

Jason

Mar 16, 2017, 7:33:37 AM3/16/17
In article <o9uk9s$24s$1...@dont-email.me>, toylet...@gmail.com says...

> * COMODO
> * KASPERSKY LAB
> * AVIRA
> * AVG
> * F-SECURE
> * BITDEFENDER

Symantec didn't make the list? Good for them :)

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 16, 2017, 8:18:36 AM3/16/17
I don't think CIA knows how to write programs. SO... :)

Jerry Stuckle

Mar 16, 2017, 9:03:12 AM3/16/17
On 3/16/2017 8:18 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
> On 16/03/2017 7:33 PM, Jason wrote:
>> In article <o9uk9s$24s$1...@dont-email.me>, toylet...@gmail.com says...
>>>
>>> * COMODO
>>> * KASPERSKY LAB
>>> * AVIRA
>>> * AVG
>>> * F-SECURE
>>> * BITDEFENDER
>>
>> Symantec didn't make the list? Good for them :)
>
> I don't think CIA knows how to write programs. SO... :)

The CIA is quite adept at writing programs.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 16, 2017, 10:06:02 AM3/16/17
On 16/03/2017 9:03 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

> The CIA is quite adept at writing programs.

Then tell CIA to rewrite Window$ 10 from scratch? :)

Jerry Stuckle

Mar 16, 2017, 10:59:43 AM3/16/17
On 3/16/2017 10:06 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
> On 16/03/2017 9:03 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>
>> The CIA is quite adept at writing programs.
>>

> Then tell CIA to rewrite Window$ 10 from scratch? :)

That's not their job. Why don't you tell Microsoft to do it? Or do it
yourself?

Ken Brody

Mar 16, 2017, 12:41:14 PM3/16/17
On 3/16/2017 10:06 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
> On 16/03/2017 9:03 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>
>> The CIA is quite adept at writing programs.
>>

> Then tell CIA to rewrite Window$ 10 from scratch? :)

Do they also get 33 years to do it?

--
Kenneth Brody

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 16, 2017, 12:59:33 PM3/16/17
On 16/03/2017 10:59 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

>> Then tell CIA to rewrite Window$ 10 from scratch? :)
>
> That's not their job. Why don't you tell Microsoft to do it? Or do it
> yourself?

Aren't Americans supposed to believe in and trust CIA more than
Micro$oft? ;)

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 16, 2017, 1:00:54 PM3/16/17
On 17/03/2017 12:41 AM, Ken Brody wrote:

>> Then tell CIA to rewrite Window$ 10 from scratch? :)
>
> Do they also get 33 years to do it?

They could confiscate others' properties including source codes from
Micro$oft, I supposed.... :)

Anyway, Window$ 10 had too many new features that many don't care about
nor need.

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 16, 2017, 1:04:05 PM3/16/17
On 17/03/2017 12:41 AM, Ken Brody wrote:

>> Then tell CIA to rewrite Window$ 10 from scratch? :)
>
> Do they also get 33 years to do it?

Also, 33 years of operation should have hoarded a lot of junk... :)

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 17, 2017, 9:53:45 AM3/17/17
On 17/03/2017 5:15 PM, K Wills (Shill #3) wrote:

>> Anyway, Window$ 10 had too many new features that many don't care about
>> nor need.
>
> So don't use them. Problem solved.

I want them removable and erasable, not even a scratch is left!

anti...@math.uni.wroc.pl

Mar 17, 2017, 9:58:28 AM3/17/17
In comp.lang.c Mr. Man-wai Chang <toylet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16/03/2017 9:03 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> >
> > The CIA is quite adept at writing programs.
> >

> Then tell CIA to rewrite Window$ 10 from scratch? :)

Why should they? Window$ 10 is close to perfect for CIA.
Remember, their task is to retrive data that computer
owner tries to hide, not the opposite.

--
Waldek Hebisch

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 17, 2017, 12:43:52 PM3/17/17
On 17/03/2017 9:58 PM, anti...@math.uni.wroc.pl wrote:

> Why should they? Window$ 10 is close to perfect for CIA.
> Remember, their task is to retrive data that computer
> owner tries to hide, not the opposite.

I was expecting US Government to produce and manufacture a 100% secured
operating system for all mankind ... :)

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 18, 2017, 11:07:30 AM3/18/17
On 18/03/2017 5:17 AM, K Wills (Shill #3) wrote:

>> I was expecting US Government to produce and manufacture a 100% secured
>> operating system for all mankind ... :)
>
> Bwahahahahahahaha!

If they just could not make a 100% secured operating system, they should
just confess their sins. :)

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 18, 2017, 11:16:17 AM3/18/17
On 18/03/2017 5:18 AM, K Wills (Shill #3) wrote:

>> I want them removable and erasable, not even a scratch is left!
>
> Then make your own operating system with only the features you
> want. If you use an OS made by someone else, you're stuck with what
> they give you.

Few have the time nor resources to do that.

> And, of course, you're not obligated to use anything from
> Microsoft. I like Ubuntu and make use of it frequently, though not for
> Usenet.

I agree. Let's cut the wires? And the funding as well? :)

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 19, 2017, 7:07:49 AM3/19/17
On 19/03/2017 12:37 AM, K Wills (Shill #3) wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 23:16:15 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
> <toylet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> Stop making new threads for your replies. Either reply within the
> initial thread, or don't reply.

Could you write a 100% secured OS then? Don't just question and
challenge me. :)

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 20, 2017, 6:35:28 AM3/20/17
On 19/03/2017 8:53 PM, K Wills (Shill #3) wrote:
> I am happy with WIN 10, Ubuntu and Mint, so there is no need for
> me to do so. Not that it would matter. I lack the knowledge necessary
> to make an OS.
> I will question and challenge you. Contrary to your delusion, you
> have NO control over what others do.
> What is at the root of your belief that you have this authority
> over others?
>
> Your lack of evidence is noted. Since your claim is not
> true, you couldn't offer any.
> Make your own operating system. If you're not willing
> to do that, then just shut up about it.

That task will require eternal life and infinite time to do so, giving
the amount of time and resourced consumed by Micro$oft and other US
companies.

Shadow

Mar 21, 2017, 8:18:22 AM3/21/17
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 03:58:28 -0500, "K Wills (Shill #3)"
<comp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Completely irrelevant.
> Now make the OS you want or shut up.

You do realize you are replying to a crazy person ?
[]'s

PS please use the OT flag when posting off topic. OS's made by
magicians, black magic and ISIS (AKA NSA) are off topic here, even if
they are free.
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Wolf K

Mar 21, 2017, 8:52:21 AM3/21/17
On 2017-03-21 04:58, K Wills (Shill #3) wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 18:35:23 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
> <toylet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 19/03/2017 8:53 PM, K Wills (Shill #3) wrote:
>>> I am happy with WIN 10, Ubuntu and Mint, so there is no need for
>>> me to do so. Not that it would matter. I lack the knowledge necessary
>>> to make an OS.
>>> I will question and challenge you. Contrary to your delusion, you
>>> have NO control over what others do.
>>> What is at the root of your belief that you have this authority
>>> over others?
>>>
>>> Your lack of evidence is noted. Since your claim is not
>>> true, you couldn't offer any.
>>> Make your own operating system. If you're not willing
>>> to do that, then just shut up about it.
>>
>> That task will require eternal life and infinite time to do so,
>
> Not at all. Maybe a few years to code and test, but not a
> lifetime.
>
>> giving
>> the amount of time and resourced consumed by Micro$oft and other US
>> companies.
>
> Completely irrelevant.
> Now make the OS you want [...]

Linus Torvalds did. For a course assignment originally, IIRC.

Have a good day,

--
Best,
Wolf K

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 21, 2017, 10:08:59 AM3/21/17
On 21/03/2017 8:52 PM, Wolf K wrote:

> Linus Torvalds did. For a course assignment originally, IIRC.
>
> Have a good day,

Secured? I don't think his assignment was about anti-malware....

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 21, 2017, 10:12:29 AM3/21/17
On 21/03/2017 8:17 PM, Shadow wrote:

> You do realize you are replying to a crazy person ?
> []'s
>
> PS please use the OT flag when posting off topic. OS's made by
> magicians, black magic and ISIS (AKA NSA) are off topic here, even if
> they are free.

Well, you don't know who's really crazy in a true, real world war!

May the Force and farces be with you! :)

Keith Thompson

Mar 21, 2017, 11:12:22 AM3/21/17
Shadow <S...@dow.br> writes:
[...]
> PS please use the OT flag when posting off topic.

Actually, please use the OT tag *and then don't post*.

Followups redirected

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) ks...@mib.org <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>

burfordTjustice

Mar 21, 2017, 12:09:42 PM3/21/17
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 08:12:14 -0700
Keith Thompson <ks...@mib.org> wrote:

> Followups redirected

Why, you afraid??

Richard Heathfield

Mar 21, 2017, 12:33:26 PM3/21/17
What of? A non sequitur? They're not particularly scary.

By the way, it's "Buford", not "Burford". Check the credits.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

James R. Kuyper

Mar 21, 2017, 1:21:27 PM3/21/17
On 03/21/2017 12:33 PM, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 21/03/17 16:09, burfordTjustice wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 08:12:14 -0700
>> Keith Thompson <ks...@mib.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Followups redirected
>>

>> Why, you afraid??
>
> What of? A non sequitur? They're not particularly scary.

In this context, you're right. In other contexts, they can be pretty
scary. Consider, for instance, non sequiturs heard at a major State
dinner, popping out of the mouth of someone with the power to authorize
a nuclear attack (no, I'm not referring to any actual recent events - I
just tried to construct the worst-case scenario - that it currently
seems significantly most plausible than it would have seemed a year ago
is just a coincidence).

Scott Lurndal

Mar 21, 2017, 1:25:23 PM3/21/17
Richard Heathfield <r...@cpax.org.uk> writes:
>On 21/03/17 16:09, burfordTjustice wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 08:12:14 -0700
>> Keith Thompson <ks...@mib.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Followups redirected
>>

>> Why, you afraid??
>
>What of? A non sequitur? They're not particularly scary.
>
>By the way, it's "Buford", not "Burford". Check the credits.

[alt.conspiracy removed]

That BTJ bot is one of the false-news posters that polluted
Usenet prior to the election. You're better off if you
simply ignore it. It has been traced back to a big
PR firm called Burston-Marsteller (whose output lives up
to their initials).

burfordTjustice

Mar 21, 2017, 2:18:25 PM3/21/17
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 16:33:23 +0000
Richard Heathfield <r...@cpax.org.uk> wrote:

> On 21/03/17 16:09, burfordTjustice wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 08:12:14 -0700
> > Keith Thompson <ks...@mib.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Followups redirected
> >

> > Why, you afraid??
>
> What of? A non sequitur? They're not particularly scary.
>
> By the way, it's "Buford", not "Burford". Check the credits.

Talk to my mum you girlie male.

burfordTjustice

Mar 21, 2017, 2:19:13 PM3/21/17
proof or are you just another dunk/drug mouth running??

Richard Heathfield

Mar 21, 2017, 3:26:16 PM3/21/17
I think that tells us everything we need to know. Bye now.

K Wills (Shill #3)

Mar 22, 2017, 4:49:11 AM3/22/17
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 08:52:15 -0400, Wolf K <wol...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>On 2017-03-21 04:58, K Wills (Shill #3) wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 18:35:23 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
>> <toylet...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That task will require eternal life and infinite time to do so,
>>
>> Not at all. Maybe a few years to code and test, but not a
>> lifetime.
>>
>>> giving
>>> the amount of time and resourced consumed by Micro$oft and other US
>>> companies.
>>
>> Completely irrelevant.
>> Now make the OS you want [...]
>
>Linus Torvalds did. For a course assignment originally, IIRC.

That sounds familiar.

>Have a good day,

Thanks. I shall strive to do so.
But I make no promises.

--
Shill #3.
counselor.

David Brown

Mar 22, 2017, 5:44:59 AM3/22/17
On 22/03/17 09:48, K Wills (Shill #3) wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 09:17:24 -0300, Shadow <S...@dow.br> wrote:
>

>> PS please use the OT flag when posting off topic. OS's made by
>> magicians, black magic and ISIS (AKA NSA) are off topic here, even if
>> they are free.
>
> I don't know what group you're posting from, but almost nothing
> is off topic in alt.conspiracy.

That's fair enough - for alt.conspiracy. But it would be nice to keep
this sort of thread out of comp.programming and comp.lang.c. I can't
answer for alt.comp.freeware and alt-comp.os.windows-10.

(I haven't set the follow-up group, because I have no illusions that the
muppets, bots and and sociopaths in this group would follow it.)

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 22, 2017, 7:54:43 AM3/22/17
On 22/03/2017 4:48 PM, K Wills (Shill #3) wrote:

>> Well, you don't know who's really crazy in a true, real world war!
>> May the Force and farces be with you! :)
>
> To claim to KNOW you are crazy may be a bit much. However, your
> posts make it very clear you have some sort of mental illness. Or
> you've done an Oscar worth performance of someone who does.

In a war, confronting countries and people always accuse the other side
being mad. Are you and me in war?

I am NOT seeing you as enemy though. I also would NOT be surprised if
you, your teams, your city and your country declare wars on people like
me. :)

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 22, 2017, 7:56:10 AM3/22/17
On 22/03/2017 4:48 PM, K Wills (Shill #3) wrote:

> Yes.
> I find it entertaining.
>
> I don't know what group you're posting from, but almost nothing
> is off topic in alt.conspiracy.

IN that case, why did you accuse specific people from other races and
nationalities of being abnormal?

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 22, 2017, 7:57:15 AM3/22/17
On 22/03/2017 4:49 PM, K Wills (Shill #3) wrote:

> That sounds familiar.
>
> Thanks. I shall strive to do so.
> But I make no promises.

Are you interested in writing your own SECURED operating system? Should
we trust your claim and warranty? :)

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 22, 2017, 10:25:49 AM3/22/17
On 22/03/2017 8:33 PM, Shadow wrote:

> I'm reading this in alt.comp.freeware. The crazy person
> gradually increases the OT groups as the "discussion" progresses.
> If you enjoy his crazy "logic" just snip the irrelevant forums
> he adds. (as I just did - I even took off the OT flag)

I guess we have just found yet another *self-proclaimed* online
psychiatrist if not psychologist!

Or are they all the same person/team if not a computing machine under
different names and IP addresses? :)

Ken Brody

Mar 22, 2017, 11:30:57 AM3/22/17
On 3/22/2017 4:48 AM, K Wills (Shill #3) wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 09:17:24 -0300, Shadow <S...@dow.br> wrote:
[...]
>> PS please use the OT flag when posting off topic. OS's made by
>> magicians, black magic and ISIS (AKA NSA) are off topic here, even if
>> they are free.
>
> I don't know what group you're posting from, but almost nothing
> is off topic in alt.conspiracy.

Elvis is dead.

We landed men on the Moon.

TINLC.

--
Kenneth Brody

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 22, 2017, 11:56:34 AM3/22/17
On 22/03/2017 11:30 PM, Ken Brody wrote:

> Elvis is dead.
> We landed men on the Moon.

Let's end this thread and start something new. Thank you in advance! :)

K Wills (Shill #3)

Mar 22, 2017, 9:11:18 PM3/22/17
On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 19:56:09 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
<toylet...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 22/03/2017 4:48 PM, K Wills (Shill #3) wrote:
>>
>> Yes.
>> I find it entertaining.
> >
>> I don't know what group you're posting from, but almost nothing
>> is off topic in alt.conspiracy.
>
>IN that case, why did you accuse specific people from other races and
>nationalities of being abnormal?

When, in reality please, have I ever done such?
Your hallucinations will not be acceptable as evidence of your
claim.

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 27, 2017, 2:13:19 PM3/27/17
On 23/03/2017 9:11 AM, K Wills (Shill #3) wrote:

> When, in reality please, have I ever done such?
> Your hallucinations will not be acceptable as evidence of your
> claim.

Walk out of your psychology and psychiatry complexity syndrome! :)