questions for fortran programmers

Toma Sharple

Jan 30, 2012, 6:46:41 PM1/30/12
I have taken on a contract with a group of government scientists who
have been writing in Fortran for decades. There is a small
constellation of large Fortran programs that need to be absorbed, and
I'd like to do two things.

The most important thing, for me, is to absorb the existing codebase,
and I would like to do that by generating lots of good looking
documentation from the programs. The bosses that hired me could use
that.

The second thing is that I plan ahead to be doing maintenance and
development on these programs and to be writing new tools for them in
Fortran.

So . . . regarding what is out there that I can use . . .

For Fortran literate programming, I see only two things. One is a nice
collection of the current "language agnostic" tools like nu/no/funnel/
web, pretty well maintained because they use other languages. I have
done some useful work with them.

The other, it seems, is FWEB. Loaded with Fortran-specific stuff,
but ... is it abandonware? Last update was in the late 90s, last
tutorial or use of it on the web is about ten years ago, and last
mention of it in the literate programming groups was five years or so
ago. I have built it on Unix and am willing to try (where I've seen
others have failed) to build a Windows version on cygwin or msys.

One question I have, please -- What Do Fortran Programmers Use These
Days?

Again, I'd like to program in this stuff, but I also mostly want to
generate good looking documentation. I have fiddled with other
literate programming tools and Fortran and they're nice, but they
don't know Fortran.

I also work with FWEB, but it has its quirks and my build of it on
Unix retains a bug in the ratfor section and I could hammer it into
shape and put it on Windows . . . but is there something better out
there I've missed?

Finally, for Fortran documentation, there are some tools out there to
analyze Fortran code and they seem to duplicate FWEB's features: What
Would You Recommend?

Thanks, very kindly, in advance.