Differences between Adaptec 1542 B and C ?

Holger Schemel

Dec 1, 1993, 2:56:49 AM12/1/93
Hello,

I want to buy an Adaptec 1542C, but my local computer dealer
told me that I can get the 1542B cheaper and that there are only
the following differences to the C:
- setup with jumpers instead of software setup
- no externel scsi connector

Are there other differences which will make the 1542C a better choice
than the 1542B ?

Thanks in advance for any hints or suggestions!

Holger

--
// Holger Schemel
\X/ q99...@pbhrzx.uni-paderborn.de

Thomas Baker

Dec 3, 1993, 3:01:55 AM12/3/93
In <q99492.7...@pbhrzx.uni-paderborn.de>
q99...@pbhrzx.uni-paderborn.de (Holger Schemel) writes:

% Hello,
%
% I want to buy an Adaptec 1542C, but my local computer dealer
% told me that I can get the 1542B cheaper and that there are only
% the following differences to the C:
% - setup with jumpers instead of software setup
% - no externel scsi connector
%
% Are there other differences which will make the 1542C a better choice
% than the 1542B ?
%
% Thanks in advance for any hints or suggestions!
%
% Holger
%
% --
% // Holger Schemel
% \X/ q99...@pbhrzx.uni-paderborn.de
%

I recently purchased a 1540B and I can tell you that it does have an
external SCSI connector....unless they took it off or some dumb stunt.
The ONLY difference between a 1540 and 1542 is that the 1540 lacks the
floppy controlling electronics. Otherwise it is the same.
The C is software configureable (drivers, program). The B is
hardware (jumpers only).

So the 1540 is strictly a SCSI controller... while the 1542 is a SCSI
controller with floppy electronics and connector (can be disabled, though)

I posted a question a little while ago asking the difference between the
B and C and along with answers I received personal experience info
from a couple people. Saying that they've had troubles with the 1542C's
but those disappear when connected to a 1540B.

From all this you can gather that if the 1540B has an external connector
then the 1542B most likely would.
The sales person is right about the C is software configurable and the
B being hardware only.
If you don't need a floppy controller don't bother with the 1542x.
The 1540x will do the SCSI job just as well.

Thomas Baker
t.b...@pro-haven.cts.com

Please forgive me if I underestimate your knowledge on the subject.
/ --- --- --- \
| Internet: t.b...@pro-haven.cts.com | "We Fremen have a saying: |
| UUCP: crash!pro-haven!t.baker | GOD created Arrakis to train |
| ------------------------------------ | the faithful. One cannot go |
| WAACKA WAACKA WAACKAAAA! | against the word of GOD." |
| | |
| -- Fozzy Bear | -- Paul Mua'd Dib "DUNE" |
\ --- --- --- /

Edward Starczewski

Dec 3, 1993, 9:58:34 AM12/3/93
In article <1993Dec3.0...@pro-haven.cts.com>,

Thomas Baker <t.b...@pro-haven.cts.com> wrote:
>In <q99492.7...@pbhrzx.uni-paderborn.de>
>q99...@pbhrzx.uni-paderborn.de (Holger Schemel) writes:
>
>% Hello,
>%
>% I want to buy an Adaptec 1542C, but my local computer dealer
>% told me that I can get the 1542B cheaper and that there are only
>% the following differences to the C:
>% - setup with jumpers instead of software setup
>% - no externel scsi connector
>%
>% Are there other differences which will make the 1542C a better choice
>% than the 1542B ?
>%
>% Thanks in advance for any hints or suggestions!
>%
>% Holger
>%
I don't really know the differences between the 1542B and c, but I do have

some knowledge (earned the hard way) between the two versions of the 1542C.

The 1542C is riddled with timing problems, if you do opt for the 1542C make sure

you get the 1542CF, according to Adaptec F stands for fast, I told the

Tech support guy I thought it meant fixed, alsa he didn't appreciate my

wonderful sense of humor :-)

Ed Starczewski

Rome LAboratory

--
The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information