Zip Plus to SCSI (To anyone who try to connect ZIP Plus to SCSI)

Michal P. Bienias

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
To anyone who try to connect ZIP Plus to SCSI:

Text from Page 4 of the Zip Plus drive manual:

""""
Important SCSI Information! Because of its special SCSI/
parallel port AutoDetect capability, the ZipPlus drive requires a
dedicated SCSI connection. Do not attempt to chain other SCSI
devices with ZipPlus. Check “Data Connections for ZipPlus” on
page 22 for more information.
"""""

Text from Page 22 of the Zip Plus drive manual:
(read the last 2 lines of it)

""""
SCSI Compatibility

You can use your ZipPlus drive as the only connected device on any
SCSI connection that matches the AutoDetect cable. This includes
the standard built-in external 25 pin SCSI port on a Mac or Mac-compatible
computer, the Zip Zoom SCSI accelerator card, and other
PC SCSI adapters that have a 25 pin D-Sub female SCSI connector.

The ZipPlus drive supports standard SCSI connections. Do not use
cable converters or gender changers to connect the ZipPlus drive to
other SCSI connections, including 50 pin Fast-SCSI, 50 pin high
density Ultra SCSI, 68 pin Ultra Wide SCSI, 30 pin PowerBook
connections, or PCMCIA cards. The ZipPlus drive is not supported in
SCSI mode on any laptop computer.

To maximize system compatibility and protect data integrity, always
use the special blue AutoDetect cable and connect the ZipPlus drive as
the only drive on the SCSI connection. Do not chain the ZipPlus
drive with other SCSI devices.
""""""

If you need a manual for that drive, you can download it from here:
http://www.iomega.com/support/manuals/en351002.pdf

Bruce Lane

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:42:43 -0500, "Michal P. Bienias"
<confid...@usa.com> wrote:

>>To anyone who try to connect ZIP Plus to SCSI:
>>
>>Text from Page 4 of the Zip Plus drive manual:
>>
>>""""
>>Important SCSI Information! Because of its special SCSI/
>>parallel port AutoDetect capability, the ZipPlus drive requires a
>>dedicated SCSI connection. Do not attempt to chain other SCSI
>>devices with ZipPlus. Check "Data Connections for ZipPlus" on
>>page 22 for more information.

<snip>

<RANT ON>

Ya know... I've been using SCSI exclusively since 1990, and I've never
had any regrets about it. I use it because of its multitasking ability and
its flexibility in connecting multiple devices and multiple types of
devices.

The idea that any manufacturer would be stupid enough to build a
device which demands that one entire channel of a SCSI host adapter be
dedicated for its use, and ONLY its use, where said channel could normally
handle up to 7 devices, absolutely disgusts me.

This limitation, IMO, makes the Zip Plus no better than an IDE or
parallel port device. One more reason not to buy one (like I didn't have
enough already).

OK, I'm done. Pardon me while I go find a Zip Plus to use for target
practice.

</RANT ON>

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho,
Blue Feather Technologies -- kyrrin (at) bluefeathertech [dot] com
Web: http://www.bluefeathertech.com
"...No matter how we may wish otherwise, our science can only describe an object,
event, or living thing in our own human terms. It cannot possibly define any of them..."

Edmond Kwok

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
Yup. But the Zip+ has to be the only external SCSI device. Its internal
mechanism doesn't terminate or unterminate correctly, meaning you can't
connect a SCSI scanner or external scsi drive to the Zip+ in an external
scsi chain after the zip+.

For certain, you can connect the other 5 SCSI devices internally and not
have any problems.

Maybe if you need more than one external SCSI device, you can connect the
Zip+ at the end. But it will definitely give you problems if you connect
it in the middle of an external chain.

Good luck!

:
: Text from Page 4 of the Zip Plus drive manual:
:
: """"
: Important SCSI Information! Because of its special SCSI/
: parallel port AutoDetect capability, the ZipPlus drive requires a
: dedicated SCSI connection. Do not attempt to chain other SCSI
: devices with ZipPlus. Check “Data Connections for ZipPlus” on
: page 22 for more information.

: """""
:
:
: Text from Page 22 of the Zip Plus drive manual:
: (read the last 2 lines of it)

:
:
:

Aloke Prasad

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99

Bruce Lane wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:42:43 -0500, "Michal P. Bienias"

> <confid...@usa.com> wrote:
>
> >>To anyone who try to connect ZIP Plus to SCSI:
> >>
> >>Text from Page 4 of the Zip Plus drive manual:
> >>
> >>""""
> >>Important SCSI Information! Because of its special SCSI/
> >>parallel port AutoDetect capability, the ZipPlus drive requires a
> >>dedicated SCSI connection. Do not attempt to chain other SCSI
> >>devices with ZipPlus. Check "Data Connections for ZipPlus" on
> >>page 22 for more information.
>

> <snip>
>
> <RANT ON>
>
> Ya know... I've been using SCSI exclusively since 1990, and I've never
> had any regrets about it. I use it because of its multitasking ability and
> its flexibility in connecting multiple devices and multiple types of
> devices.
>
> The idea that any manufacturer would be stupid enough to build a
> device which demands that one entire channel of a SCSI host adapter be
> dedicated for its use, and ONLY its use, where said channel could normally
> handle up to 7 devices, absolutely disgusts me.
>
> This limitation, IMO, makes the Zip Plus no better than an IDE or
> parallel port device. One more reason not to buy one (like I didn't have
> enough already).
>
> OK, I'm done. Pardon me while I go find a Zip Plus to use for target
> practice.
>
> </RANT ON>

Well, it turned out to be this way by "accident". When Iomega
introduced the Zip Plus in early 1998, it did not have these
limitations. I bought one in Jan 98 and had been using it for almost an
year connected to my Microtek scanner which was connected to my 2940UW
via a 68 to 50 Centronics converter!

I was breaking all the (then unknown) rules of Zip Plus and still had no
problems. The problem with Zip+ in usual SCSI configurations was
discovered by Iomega in further testing in late summer of 1998. So, I
bet the problem was intermittent and on some systems, obviously not on
systems like mine.

For users like me who bought the Zip+ before all these caveats were
discovered, Iomega offered to exchange (within the 1 year warranty
period) the Zip+ for SCSI or parallel Zip drive + some Zip disks if that
was acceptable to the user. They even refunded the full price (minus
tax and shipping) if that was the only way. I waited till my one year
was almost up, and returned the Zip+ for a full refund (of $199) which I
received in 3 weeks.

I am surprised that Iomega is till selling the Zip+ without fixing this
limitation. Despite documenting these caveats, I believe that the Zip+
is a flawed device. Obviously people are buying it and paying the
premium for it. Hopefully they know what they are getting into....

Aloke
--
Anti-Spam: Please remove xyz from my Reply-to address
to send me e-mail

Miguel Tavares

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
I've been using a ZIP+ connected to THE END of a SCSI chain for about one
and a half year with no problems so far.
I certainly wouldn't recommend putting it in the middle of the chain...

Mark Dunlop

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
Miguel Tavares writes

>I've been using a ZIP+ connected to THE END of a SCSI chain for about one
>and a half year with no problems so far.
>I certainly wouldn't recommend putting it in the middle of the chain...

Same here.
Int. 2GbHD - Adaptec 2940 - ext. 4.3GbHD - HP4c scanner - Zip+
The external cables start from a 50 pin micro-D, go through a couple of
50 pin Centronics chunky connectors, and end up with the Zip+ blue 25
pin jobby. All works fine.

The Zip+ claims to auto-detect and auto-terminate the SCSI chain as
required, which could maybe cause problems if it didn't work as claimed,
or if it was in the middle of a chain and got confused.

The non-plus SCSI Zip seems a better deal; cheaper and less potential
problems. If your Zip+ is still within the 30 day limit, return it and
get the non-plus version.

I would have reservations about purchasing Iomega products in future.
IMO Iomega were a bit naughty bringing out the Zip+ without saying
anything about the potential problems - it just says 'requires Zip zoom
or other ASPI-compatible SCSI adapter' on the box. Having said that, it
works fine on my system, but then I'm not running UW SCSI or anything
fancy.
--
Mark Dunlop

Tj Henry

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
Same here too!
Using 2940UW connecting a Plexwriter 4x12 and Toshiba 32X CD Player
internally, and externally running a Microtek E6 scanner and the Zip
Plus. BTW, Iomega should have noted on the box about the Zip Plus not
working properly on a SCSI chain,. IMHO if they did the unit would not
have sold well at all. But so far so good.

BTW has anyone had problems with the Click-Of-Death on the Zip Plus.
I ran the TIP program and it told me my drive was failing but it seems
ok so far. Anyone?

Thanks, Tj