Issuing all 0's to a drive

rain_vvp

Oct 16, 2015, 5:44:55 AM10/16/15

I am a newbie and want to know how can I issue SCSI_WRITE & SCSI_WRITE_SAME to the drive with all 0s to erase the contents on the drive. This is going to be a scsi command directly through the drive and not through the host application.

Thanks

Michael Baeuerle

Oct 16, 2015, 6:43:39 AM10/16/15
On Linux you can use the SCSI generic interface for this purpose.
If you don't want to write the code yourself, look at the sg3_utils
package. There are tools like sgm_dd(8) and sg_write_same(8) for this
purpose.