Help with Toshiba SCSI

inter naughtfull

May 12, 2021, 5:54:52 PM5/12/21
inter naughtfull's profile photo
inter naughtfull
5:46 PM (1 minute ago)

I've got a Toshiba XM-3601B SCSI cdrom. I need an external
enclosure with a power supply so I can plug it into the wall.

These are hard to find. They all seem to be USB based now.

However, is there a way I can rig a cord from the cdrom
to the wall? It will be rarely used so having the cdrom in a
protected box really isn't that important. But I do need a
way to get power to it! I've checked AZ, Ebay, NewEgg, Goodwill.

Thanks,

itchy

Scott Lurndal

May 12, 2021, 6:19:40 PM5/12/21
Any standard PC power supply from an old system should
work. You just need the +12/+5 molex connector (the white
four-pin connector).

If it is single-ended, you'll need to terminate the bus.

Michael Bäuerle

May 13, 2021, 3:11:05 AM5/13/21
Scott Lurndal wrote:
> inter naughtfull <itchyne...@hotmail.com> writes:
> >
> > I've got a Toshiba XM-3601B SCSI cdrom. I need an external
> > enclosure with a power supply so I can plug it into the wall.
> >
> > These are hard to find. They all seem to be USB based now.
> >
> > However, is there a way I can rig a cord from the cdrom
> > to the wall? It will be rarely used so having the cdrom in a
> > protected box really isn't that important. But I do need a
> > way to get power to it! I've checked AZ, Ebay, NewEgg, Goodwill.
>
> Any standard PC power supply from an old system should
> work. You just need the +12/+5 molex connector (the white
> four-pin connector).

Just as warning:
Old power supply units for PCs may need a minimum load. I have tried
to use an AT-style power supply to test a single hard disk and the disk
failed to start its spindle motor. After a mainboard was connected to
the power supply, the disk worked.
In such cases it may be easier to use the whole PC and just pull out
a power-cable for the drive.

> If it is single-ended, you'll need to terminate the bus.

The XM-3601B should have sockets for resistor arrays on its controller
board.

inter naughtfull

May 14, 2021, 4:25:49 AM5/14/21
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 3:11:05 AM UTC-4, Michael Bäuerle wrote:
> Scott Lurndal wrote:
> > inter naughtfull <itchyne...@hotmail.com> writes:

[...]
Thanks guys I will follow up on this. Maybe the local computer shops will
have a power supply and cable. They all said no to the 'enclosure' but
they are bound to have a power supply laying around.

[...]