Screeching APS

oldm...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2016, 5:17:07 PM2/11/16
I have a Nikon LS-50 (V ED) with the APS attachment. I recently resumed scanning in old films, and find that many of my APS cartridges screech when I run them through; sometimes, they can be scanned once but lock up if I try to re-scan them. My guess is that their was originally some lubricant that has dried up in the 15 years or so since I shot them.

Anyone know of a fix?

Kilgore Trout

Feb 11, 2016, 6:27:55 PM2/11/16
In article <7eed11fd-f08c-4918...@googlegroups.com>,
oldm...@gmail.com says...

> I have a Nikon LS-50 (V ED) with the APS attachment. I recently resumed scanning in old films, and find that many of my APS cartridges screech when I run them through; sometimes, they can be scanned once but lock up if I try to re-scan them. My guess is that their was originally some lubricant that has dried up in the 15 years or so since I shot them.
>
> Anyone know of a fix?

You could try silicone grease from the local plumbing / hardware store,
lubricating the touching parts with a toothpick. I've done that with other old
plastic hardware gizmos, and it usually works.

--
Al McCann
m a c 3 5 8 (at)-n e w s g u y-(dot) c o m