Can I set up PVM in such way that master doesn't start own tasks?

Andrei

Sep 6, 2010, 4:13:22 PM9/6/10
We have a Perceus cluster (warewulf) consisting of 4-core master and a
number of 4-core nodes. I can start PVM on the master and then add all
nodes - it works fine. However, there are other guys who need this
master for their tasks, so I cannot overload it. I have tried to start
PVM on a node, but something goes wrong. First of all, PVM console
doesn't start correctly - it always freezes the first time I run pvm
command. Then I cannot add other nodes

libpvm [t40005]: pvm_addhosts(): Already in progress

But it is not true - I cleaned carefully /tmp/ and killed all pvm*
processes left from previous attempts.

So now I have the only way - to run from the master. Therefore I need
to set it in such way, that it will not run own tasks, but start tasks
on the nodes.

Can you help me with this?

Ignatios Souvatzis

Dec 14, 2010, 12:34:31 PM12/14/10
On 2010-09-06, Andrei <andrei...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you help me with this?

The obvious way is:

a) use a master of a different PVM_ARCH, and request PVM_ARCH
b) request by explicit node name

You might be able to write a short wrapper to read all hosts (after
all, the pvm console can do that, too), remove the master from the
list, and round robin the others.

Regards,
-is