DosFs/TFFS problem

Carsten Boeckmann

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00

we are using Tornado 1.0.1/VxWorks 5.3.1 on a PPC603 board and DOS FS
1.0/TFFS 2.0 with optional long file names for managing the onboard's
flash memory.

We have some problems with inconsistent FAT entries when using /RFA/ as
device for file operations. For example, files which have been deleted
before appear as file with empty content (so just its FAT entry seems to
be not fully deleted/recreated) when writing into a completely different
file.
We don't have these problems when using /tffs0/ as device for file
operations.

iosDevShow() and iosDrvShow() tell me that both devices are using the
same driver resp. driver routines.

Can anybody of you tell me what the difference between these two devices
is ?

Thanks in advance,
Carsten

-= Carsten....@eed.ericsson.se =-

Leonid Rosenboim

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
The problem is that the old DosFs long names are implemented with
double-size directory
entries, which are incompatible with MSFT, while TFFS pokes into the DosFs
structure to
optimize its wear-leveling algorythms. As a result, TFFS misunderstands the
file system
structure and messes it up completely.

There are a few solutions:
1. Switch to DosFs 2.0 (free upgrade) and use VFAT long names which wont
break MSFT compatbility
2. Dont use long names at all
3. There is a flag in TFFS telling it not to peek into or trust the file
system structure,
but this probably will reduce the wear leveling effeciency. This flag has
been mentioned
on this newsgroup couple of months ago by Andrei from M-Systems.

Leonid