Nemonix & VSI Press release

abrsvc

Mar 26, 2015, 5:25:50 PM3/26/15
I thought all should know:

Bolton, MA (PRWEB) March 25, 2015

Nemonix Engineering, Inc. (Nemonix) announced today that it has partnered with VMS Software, Inc. (VSI) to provide OpenVMS-compatible hardware products and services. Nemonix will support all hardware platforms that run OpenVMS, from the latest Itanium-based blades to legacy VAX and Alpha servers. Nemonix is particularly adept at bridging the hardware gap between legacy and modern hardware systems. Since its founding in 1979, by a former DEC engineer, Nemonix has kept an unwavering focus on the OpenVMS market.

"We are happy that VSI is launching the latest version of OpenVMS this spring. With OpenVMS' future assured by VSI, we are looking forward to producing new, advanced products and services for that platform. Nemonix' hardware solutions for VAX, Alpha, and now Integrity, will help customers both maximize the stability and performance of their existing, older hardware, and enhance the capabilities of modern, PCIe-based servers--all while running the latest versions of VSI's OpenVMS operating system," says Nemonix founder and CTO, Daniel Bumbarger.

With the launch of VSI's OpenVMS 8.4-1H1 "Bolton" release, Nemonix will ensure that its new VMS hardware, including advanced 10 and 40-gigabit PCIe controllers, are compatible with VSI's latest Bolton release. Following VSI's spring launch, Nemonix will offer packaged hardware services that will also feature best-of-class consulting services from our network of OpenVMS partners, including VSI's Professional Services group. The Nemonix hardware bundle combines these partner services with Nemonix' own expert ability to stabilize, repair, upgrade and maintain OpenVMS-based servers. The bundled services will be offered as a yearly subscription service.

"We are thrilled that Nemonix will be releasing advanced, OpenVMS 8.4-1H1-compatible controllers for HP's latest Integrity rack mounts and blades. We are also looking forward to teaming up with Nemonix to provide VSI's professional consulting services as part of Nemonix' packaged hardware support offering. Customers will have a formidable team managing their OpenVMS hardware and software requirements," said Duane Harris, CEO of VMS Software, Inc.

About Nemonix
Nemonix provides solutions for mission critical applications and enterprise systems around the globe, including Fortune 500 and government entities. Nemonix' solutions address the entire hardware landscape--from legacy to modern--providing customers with a unique service that addresses the needs of every server in the VAX/Alpha/Itanium family. Nemonix doesn't just build new parts for legacy servers, though customers rejoice at 20x better network throughput on VAX, or faster SCSI-based storage systems based on Nemonix solid state SCSI drives. Nemonix also builds bridges between modern and legacy OpenVMS-based servers. Modern machines get access to legacy protocols, and legacy machines get access to modern IT infrastructure--all through advanced Nemonix hardware. For larger enterprises, Nemonix provides bundled OpenVMS hardware/software services for proactive care and maintenance of all OpenVMS-based systems. Nemonix is headquartered in Bolton, MA. http://www.nemonix.com

For all inquiries please contact:
info(at)nemonix(dot)com
(508) 393-7700

Dirk Munk

Mar 27, 2015, 9:14:48 AM3/27/15
abrsvc wrote:

Wow, even a hardware alternative for HP. It wouldn't surprise me to see
x86 hardware from them too in the future!

David Froble

Mar 27, 2015, 11:48:12 AM3/27/15
Is anyone really surprised by this ?

Jan-Erik Soderholm

Mar 27, 2015, 12:08:52 PM3/27/15
Wasn't it only some specific interfaces? And an PCIe card can
be for any server architecture, x86 or whatever...

I see it more as a complement to HP servers, not an alternative.

abrsvc

Mar 27, 2015, 1:10:19 PM3/27/15
Nemonix provided interfaces (that usually performed better) for VAX, Alpha and Itanium as well as "refurbishment" services which would replace aging components within the machines to extend their life. They also have replacement disk drives for aging systems using modern physical drives that appear to the systems as the "older" technology drives. In other words, they can provide RA type drives that are in reality currently available laptop type drives. These drives have the same exterior size and connections and appear as the type of drive that they replace. I have seen these and they work!!

Dan

Note: I am not associated with Nemonix in any way.

JF Mezei

Mar 27, 2015, 1:56:37 PM3/27/15
On 15-03-27 13:10, abrsvc wrote:
> In other words, they can provide RA type drives that are in reality currently available laptop type drives.

Ahhh, think about it. They can provide a SSD solution with 1 chip right
in the middle of the large RA-82 drawer to give you that 600 meg of
storage !

Huge advantage with less power draw, less heat and of course less noise.
Wonder if they have to leave all the fans in :-)

BTW, removing the steel "tabs" to which the RA82 components were bolted
(to make a nice clean drawer to store stuff in) was a real bitch. Those
RA drive drawers were built like tanks.

Bill Gunshannon

Mar 27, 2015, 2:30:56 PM3/27/15
In article <551599d3$0$41742$c3e8da3$5d8f...@news.astraweb.com>,
When I hear people talking about being careful to not shake their laptop
too hard so the drive doesn't break it makes me laugh. I remember driving
back from New Jersey with a dozen RA drives in the back of my Volvo Station
Wagon bouncing on the suspension stops because it was so overloaded. :-)
Oh yeah..... All of them still worked fine when I got them here. Some
may still be working today up in Bufallo.

I always suspected that I could have dropped one out the third floor window
and it would still have worked. Nobody built hardware like DEC.

bill

bill...@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include <std.disclaimer.h>

Bob Koehler

Mar 30, 2015, 9:13:39 AM3/30/15
In article <cnllut...@mid.individual.net>, bi...@server3.cs.scranton.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

> When I hear people talking about being careful to not shake their laptop
> too hard so the drive doesn't break it makes me laugh. I remember driving
> back from New Jersey with a dozen RA drives in the back of my Volvo Station
> Wagon bouncing on the suspension stops because it was so overloaded. :-)
> Oh yeah..... All of them still worked fine when I got them here. Some
> may still be working today up in Bufallo.
>
> I always suspected that I could have dropped one out the third floor window
> and it would still have worked. Nobody built hardware like DEC.

Every hard drive I've ever used has survived being shipped at least
in part in the back of an 18-wheel truck. So has just about
everything else I own.

They're just not quite as fragile as some folks think.