EDT for Linux

John Macallister

Sep 21, 2001, 11:39:11 AM9/21/01
I have to use Linux a lot these days and would like to have an EDT editor,
just plain old EDT and not necessarily TPU/EVE.
Anyone know of an EDT editor for Linux?

John

Jerry Leslie

Sep 21, 2001, 11:47:57 AM9/21/01
John Macallister (J.Macal...@physics.oxford.ac.uk) wrote:
: I have to use Linux a lot these days and would like to have an EDT editor,

: just plain old EDT and not necessarily TPU/EVE.
: Anyone know of an EDT editor for Linux?

There's ED, a freeware
editor with source:

http://clio.rice.edu/EDstuff/ED_Overview.txt

The source is available at:

http://clio.rice.edu/

--Jerry Leslie

LBohan@dbc.spam_less..com

Sep 21, 2001, 11:53:12 AM9/21/01

Look for JED, and XJED.

http://space.mit.edu/~davis/jed/

also, most (all?) emacs have a EDT mode.

Jim Agnew

Sep 21, 2001, 11:50:52 AM9/21/01
to John Macallister
http://www.ultranet.com/~anker/sedt/sedt_main.htm

is a home page for sedt, a lookalike I use for dos... I've tried to
compile it under linux, but was not able to do it (don't know c that
well)

but, emacs has an edt mode also. (or was it vi?)))

jim

Steven Whatley

Sep 21, 2001, 3:50:14 PM9/21/01

Emacs can also do EDT emulation.

Later,
Steven

Atlant Schmidt

Sep 26, 2001, 2:30:45 PM9/26/01
While it's true that most Emacsen claim to have an EDT mode, some of them
also explicitly claim that EDT mode is broken, and I find that to be
generally true whether they make the claim or not.

Ultimately, it's a question of "What do you want/need from an
EDT replacement?" If all you want is that the keypad work (so that you can
edit with fewer than nineteen simultaneous key-presses), and you can get used
to the missing DELW /UNDELW or DEL/UNDEL key on the keypad, then it's pretty
easy to coerce Emacs or XEmacs to do EDT emulation yourself. On some systems,
it also requires doing somethiing like xmodmap so that the "Num Lock" key can
act as the "Gold" key, but after that, it's pretty straight-forward.; a few
dozen defiitions in your Emacs resource file will do the job. Looking atthe
EDT emulation Lisp module will give you a good idea of how to go about this.
Plus you get to keep all the nice Emacs features (such as Syntax Coloring
that almost works), rectangular-region editing, etc.

However, if you want EDT's extended features (such as command definition,
line mode, etc.), then you're definitely going to be SOL with Emacs or doing
a *LOT* of programming.

I've adapted very well to being Solaris-based, but EDT and
$ SEARCH/HIGHLIGHT are the two things I miss about VMS.

Atlant

Lee Roth

Oct 10, 2001, 3:41:55 PM10/10/01
"John Macallister" <J.Macal...@physics.oxford.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<9ofn00$ca5$1...@news.ox.ac.uk>...

I've been a long-time fan of SEDT and used it successfully on DOS,
VMS, various Unix flavors: TruUnix, Solaris, Linux. Used it a bunch
within DEC, a bunch after DEC (long story of why SEDT is my favorite
editor omited).

SEDT editor is at: http://www.ultranet.com/~anker/sedt/sedt.htm

Now for my problem: The pre-compiled binary that comes in the 'linux'
SEDT tar set used to run fine under RedHat 6.2, but won't run under
RedHat 7.1 - example:

$ ls -l sedt
-rwx--x--x 1 roth roth 183210 Feb 5 1996 sedt
[roth@dev2 s]$ ./sedt
bash: ./sedt: No such file or directory
[roth@dev2 s]$

Odd stuff... newsgroup investigations suggest a rebuild might be in
order, so I decided to recompile SEDT, but that's a no go:

[roth@dev2 s]$ ./build
cc -O -DUNIX -DTERMCAP -DANSIC -DLINUX -c -o vars.o vars.c
vars.c:291: parse error before `My_UID'
vars.c:291: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
vars.c:293: parse error before `My_GID'
vars.c:293: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
make: *** [vars.o] Error 1

The offending code in vars.c is:

284 #if defined(UNIX)
285 char Defined_Terminal[80];
286 /*User supplied terminal type*/
287 int Org_Width=0;
288 /*Original width of terminal*/
289 int Same_Character=0;
290 int Saved_Character=0;
291 uid_t My_UID;
292 /*UID of current process*/
293 gid_t My_GID;
294 /*GID of current process*/
295 #endif

I've been playing around with the -I qualifiers to make the build look
in other directories for include files that may fix the definition of
uid_t and gid_t but haven't found the magic combination yet. I'm no
'C' giant, but I did manage to modify SEDT sources enough to get it to
build on Solaris a few years back. So far this one has me beat.

Has anyone successfully rebuilt SEDT under RedHat 7.1?

Thanks,

Lee (an old fart from DEC)

David J. Dachtera

Oct 10, 2001, 10:33:55 PM10/10/01
Lee Roth wrote:

> "John Macallister" <J.Macal...@physics.oxford.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<9ofn00$ca5$1...@news.ox.ac.uk>...
> > I have to use Linux a lot these days and would like to have an EDT editor,
> > just plain old EDT and not necessarily TPU/EVE.
> > Anyone know of an EDT editor for Linux?
> >
> > John
>
> I've been a long-time fan of SEDT and used it successfully on DOS,
> VMS, various Unix flavors: TruUnix, Solaris, Linux. Used it a bunch
> within DEC, a bunch after DEC (long story of why SEDT is my favorite
> editor omited).
>
> SEDT editor is at: http://www.ultranet.com/~anker/sedt/sedt.htm
>
> Now for my problem: The pre-compiled binary that comes in the 'linux'
> SEDT tar set used to run fine under RedHat 6.2, but won't run under
> RedHat 7.1 - example:
>
> $ ls -l sedt
> -rwx--x--x 1 roth roth 183210 Feb 5 1996 sedt
> [roth@dev2 s]$ ./sedt
> bash: ./sedt: No such file or directory
> [roth@dev2 s]$
>
> Odd stuff...

Rough guess - try:

$ chmod g+r,o+r sedt

...and try again. Don't ask me why that should mater. without seeing
your /etc/groups file (if there is one in Linux), it's a long shot, at
best.

Shot in the relative dark...

--
David J. Dachtera
dba DJE Systems

http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

jack_ho...@altavista.net

Oct 11, 2001, 1:40:12 PM10/11/01
On 10 Oct 2001 12:41:55 -0700, lee...@my-deja.com (Lee Roth) wrote:

>"John Macallister" <J.Macal...@physics.oxford.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<9ofn00$ca5$1...@news.ox.ac.uk>...
>> I have to use Linux a lot these days and would like to have an EDT editor,
>> just plain old EDT and not necessarily TPU/EVE.
>> Anyone know of an EDT editor for Linux?

you could use another editor with an EDT emulation? or does it have to
be the real thing...

jack
A life form's gotta do what a life form's gotta do

Ulf-Rainer Tietz

Oct 11, 2001, 5:21:55 PM10/11/01
In comp.editors Lee Roth <lee...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> "John Macallister" <J.Macal...@physics.oxford.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<9ofn00$ca5$1...@news.ox.ac.uk>...
[deleted]

> I've been playing around with the -I qualifiers to make the build look
> in other directories for include files that may fix the definition of
> uid_t and gid_t but haven't found the magic combination yet. I'm no
> 'C' giant, but I did manage to modify SEDT sources enough to get it to
> build on Solaris a few years back. So far this one has me beat.
>
> Has anyone successfully rebuilt SEDT under RedHat 7.1?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lee (an old fart from DEC)
Hello,
I have not rebuild it, I don't use redhat either. But the includes of the
latest glibc show:
pwd.h:# ifndef __uid_t_defined
pwd.h:typedef __uid_t uid_t;
pwd.h:# define __uid_t_defined
pwd.h: __uid_t pw_uid; /* User ID. */
pwd.h:extern struct passwd *getpwuid (__uid_t __uid) __THROW;
pwd.h:extern int getpwuid_r (__uid_t __uid,
pwd.h:extern int getpw (__uid_t __uid, char *__buffer) __THROW;
signal.h:# ifndef __uid_t_defined
signal.h:typedef __uid_t uid_t;
signal.h:# define __uid_t_defined
stropts.h:#ifndef __uid_t_defined
stropts.h:typedef __uid_t uid_t;
stropts.h:# define __uid_t_defined
unistd.h:# ifndef __uid_t_defined
unistd.h:typedef __uid_t uid_t;
unistd.h:# define __uid_t_defined
unistd.h:extern int chown (__const char *__file, __uid_t __owner, __gid_t
__group)
unistd.h:extern int fchown (int __fd, __uid_t __owner, __gid_t __group)
__THROW;
unistd.h:extern int lchown (__const char *__file, __uid_t __owner, __gid_t
__group)
unistd.h:extern __uid_t getuid (void) __THROW;
unistd.h:extern __uid_t geteuid (void) __THROW;
unistd.h:extern int setuid (__uid_t __uid) __THROW;
unistd.h:extern int setreuid (__uid_t __ruid, __uid_t __euid) __THROW;
unistd.h:extern int seteuid (__uid_t __uid) __THROW;

So check which files are included, if necessary use gcc -H flag and maybe use
feature makros like -D_SVID_SOURCE etc.

regards
--
Ulf-Rain...@wincor-nixdorf.com +49 30 3864 3337
Wincor Nixdorf GmbH

John E. Davis

Oct 11, 2001, 5:36:43 PM10/11/01
On 10 Oct 2001 12:41:55 -0700, Lee Roth <lee...@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>Has anyone successfully rebuilt SEDT under RedHat 7.1?

You might want to try jed's EDT emulation. EDT was one of the very
first emulations that I added to jed nearly 10 years ago. As such it
is very mature.

More information may be obtained from
http://space.mit.edu/~davis/jed/. A gif image showing jed in EDT mode
may be found http://space.mit.edu/~davis/jed/images/edt.gif.

Good luck,
--John

John E. Davis

Oct 11, 2001, 5:40:44 PM10/11/01
On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:30:45 -0400, Atlant Schmidt <atlant...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>I've adapted very well to being Solaris-based, but EDT and
>$ SEARCH/HIGHLIGHT are the two things I miss about VMS.

Jed (mentioned elsewhere in this thread) is distributed with a
recursive highlighing grep program called "rgrep". It will highlight
matches for you:

Usage: rgrep [options..] pattern [files ...]
-? additional help (use '-?' to avoid shell expansion on some systems)
-c count matches
-h highlight match (ANSI compatable terminal assumed)
-H Output match instead of entire line containing match
-i ignore case
-l list filename only
-n print line number of match
-F follow links
-r recursively scan through directory tree
-N Do NOT perform a recursive search
-B If file looks like a binary one, skip it.
-R 'pat' like '-r' except that only those files matching 'pat' are checked
-v print only lines that do NOT match the specified pattern
-x 'ext' checks only files with extension given by 'ext'.
-D Print all directories that would be searched. This option is for
debugging purposes only. No file is grepped with this option.
-W'len' lines are 'len' characters long (not newline terminated).
--version Print version
--help Print this help

'pattern' is a valid 'ex' type of regular expression. See the man page for ex.
It is best enclosed in single quotes to avoid shell expansion.

--John

jack_ho...@altavista.net

Oct 12, 2001, 1:23:03 PM10/12/01

barry's emacs has an EDT emulation and will run on Linux:

http://www.barrys-emacs.org/emacs7.html

jack
Not used. Pre-enjoyed.

Lee Roth

Oct 12, 2001, 6:14:34 PM10/12/01
> You might want to try jed's EDT emulation. EDT was one of the very
> first emulations that I added to jed nearly 10 years ago. As such it
> is very mature.
>
> More information may be obtained from
> http://space.mit.edu/~davis/jed/. A gif image showing jed in EDT mode
> may be found http://space.mit.edu/~davis/jed/images/edt.gif.
>
> Good luck,
> --John

Yes, I might jed's EDT if it will:

1) It supports learned key sequences like SEDT does (powerful stuff)
2) It does the 'find the matching curly brace/square
bracket/parenthesis' for writing code
3) Indenting of selected text (makes for better looking code)
4) Can create your own macros and bind them to a key
5) Can toggle between column-mode cut/copy/paste and line mode
6) Can toggle between overstrike/insert text mode
7) Can support 4 or more buffers

An old dog like me really hates to switch editors... I can use SEDT
without
having to even think about it - would sort of be like switching from
QWERTY
to one of those 'weird' keyboard layouts; I could do it but want to
avoid
if possible.

In many ways, SEDT was a superset of EDT... was just handy to use if
you
were already used to EDT but did a whole lot more than EDT ever did.
And I used
to hang out in the SEDT notesfile at DEC and converse with Anker the
author so there's a sentimental attachment as well (we both worked at
DEC back when SEDT was born and raised).

Re: change protection

Been there, done that- get same error message.

i.e. $ chmod 755 ./sedt
$ ./sedt ! gives 'file not found' message.

Thanks for the tips!

Will report any successes...

Lee

jack_ho...@altavista.net

Oct 13, 2001, 4:20:08 AM10/13/01
On 12 Oct 2001 15:14:34 -0700, lee...@my-deja.com (Lee Roth) wrote:

>> You might want to try jed's EDT emulation. EDT was one of the very
>> first emulations that I added to jed nearly 10 years ago. As such it
>> is very mature.
>>
>> More information may be obtained from
>> http://space.mit.edu/~davis/jed/. A gif image showing jed in EDT mode
>> may be found http://space.mit.edu/~davis/jed/images/edt.gif.
>>

>Yes, I might jed's EDT if it will:
>
>1) It supports learned key sequences like SEDT does (powerful stuff)
>2) It does the 'find the matching curly brace/square
>bracket/parenthesis' for writing code
>3) Indenting of selected text (makes for better looking code)
>4) Can create your own macros and bind them to a key
>5) Can toggle between column-mode cut/copy/paste and line mode
>6) Can toggle between overstrike/insert text mode
>7) Can support 4 or more buffers

the barry's emacs with EDT emulation will do all this and more:

http://www.barrys-emacs.org/

barry's emacs is also ex-DEC ex-VMS but these days runs on other
platforms.

>In many ways, SEDT was a superset of EDT... was just handy to use if
>you
>were already used to EDT but did a whole lot more than EDT ever did.
>And I used
>to hang out in the SEDT notesfile at DEC and converse with Anker the
>author so there's a sentimental attachment as well (we both worked at
>DEC back when SEDT was born and raised).

jack
another ex-DEC, ex-SEDT, ex-SEDT notes file user.

Brian W. Masinick

Oct 13, 2001, 1:52:35 PM10/13/01
I'm a text editing buff, too. Jack and I used to cross paths in various Notes
conferences when we worked at Digital. I've had a chance to try out Barry's
Emacs, and it works great, just as advertised. Actually, from my experience,
Barry's Emacs works even better than it did in the days we were at Digital -
probably for two reasons: much faster hardware today and continual
improvements on Barry's part.

SEDT was a pretty good editor in its day, too. I tried it out, not too long
ago on Tru64 UNIX and was able to get it to work. But in all honesty, not
much has been done with it recently (unless there has been a resurgence of
interest that I am not aware of).

Jed, (and its variants, Xjed and Wjed, are pretty good text editors, too.
Like Bemacs and SEDT, all three of them have a command language that
encourages easy modifications. All of them are easily extensible, which is a
good thing. Last I checked, Bemacs and Jed have kept ahead of SEDT, in terms
of keeping up with current systems, current editing features, and active
development. That said, if you have a copy of any of these editors --- and
they still work, any one of them is quite powerful.

Anker Berg-Sonne (author of SEDT), John E. Davis, (author of Jed), and Barry
Scott (author of Bemacs) have done credible jobs with their editors. I'd
have no hesitation using any of them.

The Mas

Martin Vorlaender

Oct 14, 2001, 5:00:24 AM10/14/01
Brian W. Masinick (masi...@yahoo.com) wrote:
> I'm a text editing buff, too.

Me too.

> Anker Berg-Sonne (author of SEDT), John E. Davis, (author of Jed), and
> Barry Scott (author of Bemacs) have done credible jobs with their editors.

May I add Daniel M. Lawrence (author of MicroEMACS) to that hall of fame?

It's been a while since work has been done on that editor (IIRC, the
latest version 4.0 dates from March 1996) but IMHO this also is a great
cross-platform editor - there even is an SMG version for VMS.

I use it all the time (on VMS, Linux, Tru64, WinXX, OS/2, and DOS).
The sources and binaries for Alpha and VAX can be downloaded from
ftp://ftp.pdv-systeme.de/vms/ue400dev-vms.zip, ue400axp.zip, and
ue400vax.zip, respectively.

Right now, I don't have the original URL to the sources handy, but if
anyone is interested, drop me a note - I'm sure I have it somewhere.
(I had to tweak the sources a little bit, but not much)

cu,
Martin
--
| Martin Vorlaender | VMS & WNT programmer
OpenVMS: When you | work: m...@pdv-systeme.de
KNOW where you want | http://www.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/
to go today. | home: mar...@radiogaga.harz.de

John E. Davis

Oct 15, 2001, 1:38:28 PM10/15/01
On 12 Oct 2001 15:14:34 -0700, Lee Roth <lee...@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>Yes, I might jed's EDT if it will:
>
>1) It supports learned key sequences like SEDT does (powerful stuff)

Yes. These are called "keyboard macros". If you do not know the
default binding for them, then look under the Edit menu.

>2) It does the 'find the matching curly brace/square
>bracket/parenthesis' for writing code

Yes.

>3) Indenting of selected text (makes for better looking code)

This can also be done. There are many language-sensitive modes that
do auto-indenting.

>4) Can create your own macros and bind them to a key

Yes.

>5) Can toggle between column-mode cut/copy/paste and line mode

It has support for rectangular regions.

>6) Can toggle between overstrike/insert text mode

Yes.

>7) Can support 4 or more buffers

Yes.

After installing jed, you can try out its EDT emulation via running it
as:

jed -e edt

You can also copy $JED_ROOT/lib/jed.rc to ~/.jedrc and edit it to
enable EDT bindings. If you do not need alot of customization and
just want the bindings, try:

echo '_Jed_Default_Emulation="edt";' > ~/.jedrc

Then you will not need to use the '-e edt' command line arguments.

Also make sure that you are using a recent version. The most recent
is 0.99-15. See http://space.mit.edu/~davis/jed/download.html for
information about getting it.

Good luck,
--John

Lee Roth

Oct 20, 2001, 7:44:44 PM10/20/01
mar...@radiogaga.harz.de (Martin Vorlaender) wrote in message news:<3bc95428.5241...@radiogaga.harz.de>...

> Brian W. Masinick (masi...@yahoo.com) wrote:
> > I'm a text editing buff, too.
>
> Me too.
>
> > Anker Berg-Sonne (author of SEDT), John E. Davis, (author of Jed), and
> > Barry Scott (author of Bemacs) have done credible jobs with their editors.
>
> May I add Daniel M. Lawrence (author of MicroEMACS) to that hall of fame?
>
> It's been a while since work has been done on that editor (IIRC, the
> latest version 4.0 dates from March 1996) but IMHO this also is a great
> cross-platform editor - there even is an SMG version for VMS.
>
> I use it all the time (on VMS, Linux, Tru64, WinXX, OS/2, and DOS).
> The sources and binaries for Alpha and VAX can be downloaded from
> ftp://ftp.pdv-systeme.de/vms/ue400dev-vms.zip, ue400axp.zip, and
> ue400vax.zip, respectively.
>
> Right now, I don't have the original URL to the sources handy, but if
> anyone is interested, drop me a note - I'm sure I have it somewhere.
> (I had to tweak the sources a little bit, but not much)
>
> cu,
> Martin

To all that replied: I'll fuss with SEDT rebuild for a little while,
but if I have no success I'll try jed or barry's emacs.

Thanks for all of the helpful replies!

Lee

Brian Masinick

Oct 20, 2001, 10:10:23 PM10/20/01
To Lee, I wish you well in your quest to get the right stuff for
SEDT. Should you still have problems, I think you will find a
great community of supporters for BArry Scott's BEmacs - guys
like Scott, Horsfield, Hom, Lomicka. If you ever perused the old
DEC notes files, you might remember ALL of them - I do. But I
understand how the fingers and familiarity still yearn for the
familiar - and SEDT was a good one.

To Martin, let me add my agreement to your mention of
MicroEmacs. It turns out that the good old MicroEmacs, of Daniel
Lawrence fame, had faded a bit, but there was a great resurgence,
not all that long ago. The new version is a JASSPA version of
MicroEmacs, and it has quite a bit of modernization to it. But
you're right, I would add Daniel's name to the text editing "Hall
of Fame". I did not intend to slight him or anyone else. I'm
sure there are numerous others who are quite worthy of mention
for other fine text editors, too.

Just one last bit of trivia: Linus Torvolds considers GNU Emacs
and XEmacs bloated software (as I'm sure many Vi enthusiasts do)
so that is no big or new piece of news. But Linus has a rather
unusual preference - but perhaps in keeping with his
unconventional nature - he ALSO recognizes the value of
MicroEmacs, and has hacked up a version for his own preferences.
At one time, I made a copy of it, but I don't think I still have
it.

The Mas

lee...@my-deja.com (Lee Roth) writes:

--
Brian W. Masinick, "The Mas"
mailto:masi...@yahoo.com

Michael Zarlenga

Oct 21, 2001, 10:55:28 PM10/21/01
In comp.os.vms Lee Roth <lee...@my-deja.com> wrote:
: To all that replied: I'll fuss with SEDT rebuild for a little while,

: but if I have no success I'll try jed or barry's emacs.

There's also GNU Emacs, available from http://www.gnu.org

When I last went through the process, it was trivial to compile it
and get it working for VMS.

--
-- Mike Zarlenga

Michael Zarlenga

Oct 21, 2001, 11:09:43 PM10/21/01
In comp.os.vms Lee Roth <lee...@my-deja.com> wrote:
: SEDT editor is at: http://www.ultranet.com/~anker/sedt/sedt.htm

: Now for my problem: The pre-compiled binary that comes in the 'linux'
: SEDT tar set used to run fine under RedHat 6.2, but won't run under
: RedHat 7.1 - example:

: $ ls -l sedt
: -rwx--x--x 1 roth roth 183210 Feb 5 1996 sedt
: [roth@dev2 s]$ ./sedt
: bash: ./sedt: No such file or directory
: [roth@dev2 s]$

This is something fundamental ... either protection or the way the bash
shell invokes executables.

: [roth@dev2 s]$ ./build

: cc -O -DUNIX -DTERMCAP -DANSIC -DLINUX -c -o vars.o vars.c
: vars.c:291: parse error before `My_UID'
: vars.c:291: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
: vars.c:293: parse error before `My_GID'
: vars.c:293: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
: make: *** [vars.o] Error 1

: The offending code in vars.c is:

: 284 #if defined(UNIX)
: 285 char Defined_Terminal[80];
: 286 /*User supplied terminal type*/
: 287 int Org_Width=0;
: 288 /*Original width of terminal*/
: 289 int Same_Character=0;
: 290 int Saved_Character=0;
: 291 uid_t My_UID;
: 292 /*UID of current process*/
: 293 gid_t My_GID;
: 294 /*GID of current process*/
: 295 #endif

You have two typedefs missing, one for uid_t and one for gid_t.
C typedefs are just a shorthand way for programmers to define
and use their own types, based on standard C datatypes.

grep all the *.c and *.h files supplied with the product for

typedef.*[ug]id_t

Find the file(s) and then look at any #if/#endif wrappers around
the typedefs to see why they're not being used by the compiler.

If you're doing this for you and not for republication, a quick fix
would be to see what the typedefs are and then just put them into
the C module that needs them. That would be faster and simpler (and
less prone to creating more problems) than playing around with build
defines.

: Lee (an old fart from DEC)

Hi, Lee. The name sounds familiar. I'm also an ex-DECcie.

--
-- Mike Zarlenga

Paul Repacholi

Oct 22, 2001, 9:19:41 AM10/22/01
Michael Zarlenga <zarl...@conan.ids.net> writes:

> In comp.os.vms Lee Roth <lee...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> : To all that replied: I'll fuss with SEDT rebuild for a little
> : while, but if I have no success I'll try jed or barry's emacs.

> There's also GNU Emacs, available from http://www.gnu.org

Emacs v21 has just been released.

> When I last went through the process, it was trivial to compile it
> and get it working for VMS.

!!

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

Lee Roth

Oct 23, 2001, 5:51:15 PM10/23/01

> : Lee (an old fart from DEC)
>
> Hi, Lee. The name sounds familiar. I'm also an ex-DECcie.

... that's because I'm an ex-'boxer just like you- but I just did it
on the side
instead of a career like you did. ;^}

Thanks for the tip... I'll just plug the definitions in directly and
skip the includes. This is just for my use, not for distribution.

Shoulda learned C instead of Perl I guess.

Thanks!

Lee

Lee Roth

Oct 24, 2001, 12:47:27 AM10/24/01
Well, the brute force method got it to compile correctly and *it
works!* after compiling!!!

I kept doing compile/blowup/edit then repeat until it worked.

I did evil stuff to file 'vars.c' and 'vars.h':

$diff ../s0/vars.c ./vars.c
291c291
< uid_t My_UID;
---
> int My_UID;
293c293
< gid_t My_GID;
---
> int My_GID;
305c305
< struct winsize ws;
---
> /*struct winsize ws;*/

$ diff ../s0/vars.h ./vars.h
139,141c139,141
< extern uid_t My_UID;
< extern gid_t My_GID;
---
> extern int My_UID;
> extern int My_GID;

I'm posting this in case some other poor unfortunate wants to do the
same thing I did (get SEDT compiled under RedHat 7.1).

Thanks for all the suggestions... I guess I'm a 'C' programmer now,
right? 8^)

Lee

Michael Zarlenga

Oct 24, 2001, 10:44:30 AM10/24/01
In comp.os.vms Lee Roth <lee...@my-deja.com> wrote:
: Shoulda learned C instead of Perl I guess.

Don't say that ... I know both and Perl rocks!

--
-- Mike Zarlenga