Problem with use of VMSTAR - access violation.

Dale Dellutri

Jun 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/27/95

I'm trying to use GUNZIP-AXP.EXE and VMSTAR-AXP.EXE from
ftp.digital.com/pub/VMS to unzip and untar the latest Hylafax
distribution. Gunzip seemed to work OK, but then vmstar fails
with an access violation as shown below. I can get the "usage:"
message OK, but no combination of spacing or capitalizing or
including elements in the command line in quotes seems to make
any difference. I assume the x stands for extract, and the
f for the file name to extract from. The command line comes from
the instructions at www.digital.com/info/vms-freeware.html in
the description of TAR.

Can someone shed some light on this?

$ tar
usage: tar x|c|t[vbd][f tarfile] [file [file...]]

$ tar xf hfax_tar
%SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation, reason mask=04,
virtual address=7FE60770, PC=0002014C, PS=0000001B
%TRACE-F-TRACEBACK, symbolic stack dump follows
Image Name Module Name Routine Name Line Number rel PC abs PC
VMSTAR-AXP VMSTAR main 7818 0000014C 0002014C
VMSTAR-AXP VMSTAR __main 0 00000058 00020058

0 823B1A50 823B1A50

Dale Dellutri -- ddel...@delphi.com

norri...@delphi.com

Jun 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/27/95
The first thing to do is look up in the System Message manual to find out what
reason mask 04 means. The next thing to do is look at line 7818 in the listing
to see what is going on there. The actual error may have been caused by an
error in a previous line as the AXP machines don't necessarily stop at the
real point of failure. Perhaps with thse two pieces of information you
will be able to deduce what error caused the access violation. The virtual
address, in P1 space, suggests an I/O problem of some kind.

Dale Dellutri

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
Dale Dellutri <ddel...@delphi.com> writes:

>distribution. Gunzip seemed to work OK, but then vmstar fails
>with an access violation as shown below. I can get the "usage:"

I've since retrieved the VMSTAR.ZIP package from ftp.wku.edu.
It seems to work fine.
I've also been told by e-mail that the package at ftp.digital.com
is outdated.

Dale Dellutri -- ddel...@delphi.com

Ulrich Schmitt, Phys. Chem., ETH Zurich

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
In article <BA2-nKD....@delphi.com>, Dale Dellutri <ddel...@delphi.com> writes:

>I'm trying to use GUNZIP-AXP.EXE and VMSTAR-AXP.EXE from
>ftp.digital.com/pub/VMS to unzip and untar the latest Hylafax
>distribution. Gunzip seemed to work OK, but then vmstar fails
>with an access violation
>... (deleted) ...

We followed the advice of Hunter Goatley of June 2 in this newsgroup
and obtained VMSTAR.ZIP from ftp.wku.edu (V3.3-2 as of 12-JAN-1995).
This version works OK an Alpha AXP (OpenVMS V6.1-1H2).

Ulrich Schmitt | Phone: +41 1 632 4440
Laboratorium fur Phys. Chemie | Fax: +41 1 632 1021
ETH Zurich (Zentrum) | E-Mail: sch...@ir.phys.chem.ethz.ch
CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland | ul...@debye.vmsmail.ethz.ch

Andreas Fassl

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
In <hGyfXcJ....@delphi.com> Dale Dellutri <ddel...@delphi.com> writes:

>Dale Dellutri <ddel...@delphi.com> writes:
>
>>distribution. Gunzip seemed to work OK, but then vmstar fails

>>with an access violation as shown below. I can get the "usage:"
>
>I've since retrieved the VMSTAR.ZIP package from ftp.wku.edu.
>It seems to work fine.
>I've also been told by e-mail that the package at ftp.digital.com
>is outdated.
>
>Dale Dellutri -- ddel...@delphi.com

There is a problem with some versions of VMSTAR (Pascal Source Code). Try
to start it with a privileged account (error shouldn't happen under SYSTEM)
and with a world account.

Maybe more information about version, source, etc. I haven't got the original
posting.

REgards

Andreas
+ proGIS Softwareentwicklung, Simulationssysteme, Beratung +
+ E-Mail: and...@didymus.rmi.de VOICE: (49) 241 470 67 -0 +
+ FAX: (49) 241 470 67 -29 +