VSI CE License PAKs

Chris Townley

Jul 16, 2021, 10:01:03 AM7/16/21
Just received an e-mail with a link to download new CE license PAKs -
valid until 22-Sep-2022

Nice to see them circulating them in good time, and without hassle!

Thanks VSI

--
Chris

Joukj

Jul 16, 2021, 10:20:54 AM7/16/21
Metoo

Much more user-friendly than HP!!

Thanks.

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Jul 16, 2021, 11:44:29 AM7/16/21
In article <scs3es$50f$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris Townley
<ne...@cct-net.co.uk> writes:

> Just received an e-mail with a link to download new CE license PAKs -
> valid until 22-Sep-2022
>
> Nice to see them circulating them in good time, and without hassle!

Something on my list of things to do after the summer holidays. For
what architecture? What is included? Essentially similar to the
hobbyist license?

Chris Townley

Jul 16, 2021, 12:01:13 PM7/16/21
This is their hobbyist offering.

You get:

------- Product ID -------- ---- Rating -----
Product Producer Units Avail Active Termination
ALPHA-LP VSI 1050 H 0 22-SEP-2022
ALPHA-SYSTEM VSI 150 A 0 22-SEP-2022

I am on Alpha (not clustered) - here FreeAXP

--
Chris

abrsvc

Jul 16, 2021, 12:08:07 PM7/16/21
The Integrity paks are similar.

David Jones

Jul 16, 2021, 12:35:37 PM7/16/21
I get really suspicious when I get unsolicited email that says click here. The link in the email
some rs6.net site that redirects to vmssoftware.com (http: URL, so you get redirected a second
time).

The Alpha version I received is a type A license with 150 units. Is that per host or the aggregate
units available for the cluster (a DS10 is 15 units, Alphaserver 400 is 12).

Chris Townley

Jul 16, 2021, 1:03:23 PM7/16/21
I believe that is per node

--
Chris

John H. Reinhardt

Jul 16, 2021, 2:02:54 PM7/16/21
I got mine this morning, too.

It's interesting because the original PAKS sent out last July had 75/1050 Units for A/H availability. People complained that 75 wasn't enough some of the larger Alphas and VSI issued new PAKS in September with 0/0 units. This time they retreated from the unlimited Units and the Alpha PAKs have units of 150/1050. The Integrity originally had Units=2, then changed to 0 and this time they are still 0.

A few people might have a problem using the Alpha PAKS with the 150 Unit limit (How much does a 4-cpu AS4100 need?), but I imagine there won't be that many.

--
John H. Reinhardt

Jan-Erik Söderholm

Jul 16, 2021, 2:31:30 PM7/16/21
Or maybe a more relevant question, how many hobbyist runs a 4-cpu AS4100?

If you are a hobbyist, maybe you should not complain that you cannot
run the largets models...

John H. Reinhardt

Jul 16, 2021, 3:18:45 PM7/16/21
Sure. Toss that AS4100/ES40/ES45/ES47/ESxx in the skip. After all you're only a Hobbyist. You don't need it.

Kind of a limited view.

--
John H. Reinhardt

Grant Taylor

Jul 16, 2021, 4:56:34 PM7/16/21
On 7/16/21 1:18 PM, John H. Reinhardt wrote:
> Sure.  Toss that AS4100/ES40/ES45/ES47/ESxx in the skip. After all
> you're only a Hobbyist. You don't need it.
>
> Kind of a limited view.

Agreed.

I would hope that this is a limitation of the routine process and that
someone could contact VSI and make a personal appeal / request which
goes outside the routine process. Perhaps it would be subject to more
stringent validation or shorter timing. I don't know. But I would
/hope/ that there is a way to avoid "too powerful for any hobbyist, junk
it" mentality.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Jul 16, 2021, 4:59:15 PM7/16/21
In article <scsag6$1al$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris Townley
<ne...@cct-net.co.uk> writes:

> ------- Product ID -------- ---- Rating -----
> Product Producer Units Avail Active Termination
> ALPHA-LP VSI 1050 H 0 22-SEP-2022
> ALPHA-SYSTEM VSI 150 A 0 22-SEP-2022

I'm no expert on the matter, but I suspect that 150 units should be
enough for most or all hobbyists.

Does one need a separate license for each system in a cluster (i.e.
/INCLUDE) or not? The old hobbyist licenses were sometimes per machine,
sometimes not.

Timothy Stark

Jul 16, 2021, 5:45:09 PM7/16/21
to comp.os.vms to email gateway
How about AXPbox emulator? It is ES40 emulator.

If so, I will not able use AXPbox emulator with that new PAKs.

Martin Vorländer

Jul 16, 2021, 11:58:03 PM7/16/21
Timothy Stark <fswo...@gmail.com> schrieb:
>> On 7/16/2021 1:31 PM, Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
>>> Den 2021-07-16 kl. 20:02, skrev John H. Reinhardt:
>>> Or maybe a more relevant question, how many hobbyist runs a 4-cpu AS4100?
>>>
>>> If you are a hobbyist, maybe you should not complain that you cannot
>>> run the largets models...
>>
>> Sure. Toss that AS4100/ES40/ES45/ES47/ESxx in the skip. After all you're only a Hobbyist. You don't need it.
>>
>> Kind of a limited view.
>
> How about AXPbox emulator? It is ES40 emulator.
>
> If so, I will not able use AXPbox emulator with that new PAKs.

Just fired up VMS 8.3 on my AXPbox. It reports 50 units for availabilty A
licenses.

cu
Martin

Martin Vorländer

Jul 17, 2021, 1:06:31 AM7/17/21
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) <hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de> schrieb:
The ALPHA-SYSTEM is _not_ a NO_SHARE license, so I think it is good
for all cluster nodes as long as the sum doesn't exceed 150 units.

cu
Martin

Timothy Stark

Jul 17, 2021, 8:30:08 AM7/17/21
to comp.os.vms to email gateway
Ok, I need to know how many units for each processor. Thanks.

Jul 17, 2021, 11:56:45 AM7/17/21
I tested in my cluster, and the units are pooled. Loading ALPHA-SYSTEM on an HP
OpenVMS system still allocates the units even if nothing requires them.

A DS20 is 75 units, so 2 of those would max out a hobbyist cluster.