Mostly off-topic: licensing methods

Arne Vajhøj

Jan 27, 2023, 7:52:41 PM1/27/23
Everybody has heard about:
- license per server
- license per CPU socket
- license per CPU core
- license per user

But Oracle just invented something new: license per employee.

https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/27/oracle_java_licensing_change

Arne

PS: I predict that OpenJDK will become very popular with large
corporations!

Simon Clubley

Jan 28, 2023, 10:36:20 AM1/28/23
I wonder if it's as off-topic as you think...

I wonder if there's any chance Oracle might apply this new pricing
model to x86-64 versions of Rdb ? After all, it's a _very_ captive
market that Oracle has and if they are willing to do this to Java...

Simon.

PS: As for OpenJDK, Oracle _must_ have thought of that, so I wonder
how they are going to counter that approach by large corporations ?

bill

Jan 28, 2023, 12:14:32 PM1/28/23
Hmmmmm....
Maybe that explains the sudden layoffs by so many big tech companies.
:-)

bill

John Dallman

Jan 28, 2023, 12:58:14 PM1/28/23
In article <tr3fdi$299sb$2...@dont-email.me>,
clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley) wrote:

> On 2023-01-27, Arne Vajhøj <ar...@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
> > PS: I predict that OpenJDK will become very popular with large
> > corporations!
> PS: As for OpenJDK, Oracle _must_ have thought of that, so I wonder
> how they are going to counter that approach by large corporations ?

Large corporations started moving into OpenJDK quite some time ago. These
days, Oracle management seem to be mostly interested in offering
cloud-based services, which account for much of their profit nowadays.

They may have decided that Java isn't going to be a growth area for them,
like Solaris. If so, perhaps they're deliberately shedding the customers
who are prepared to move to OpenJDK, by finding out how many are prepared
to pay much more for Java. On this hypothesis, they'd still want to run
Java development to keep anyone else from getting control of it.

An alternative possibility is that they've forgotten about companies that
/don't/ consist mostly of people using computers full-time. If they
assume their customers have most of their staff using Java, then they
might think per-employee pricing would be beneficial for customers, by
simplifying license administration.

John

Arne Vajhøj

Jan 28, 2023, 2:18:32 PM1/28/23
On 1/28/2023 10:36 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2023-01-27, Arne Vajhøj <ar...@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
>> Everybody has heard about:
>> - license per server
>> - license per CPU socket
>> - license per CPU core
>> - license per user
>>
>> But Oracle just invented something new: license per employee.
>>
>> https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/27/oracle_java_licensing_change

> I wonder if it's as off-topic as you think...
>
> I wonder if there's any chance Oracle might apply this new pricing
> model to x86-64 versions of Rdb ? After all, it's a _very_ captive
> market that Oracle has and if they are willing to do this to Java...

I hope not.

I think it is a horrible pricing model. It does not reflect usage
in anyway.

>> PS: I predict that OpenJDK will become very popular with large
>> corporations!

> PS: As for OpenJDK, Oracle _must_ have thought of that, so I wonder
> how they are going to counter that approach by large corporations ?

That process has been underway for some time. Now I suspect
that it will accelerate due to companies with a large number
of employees and a modest Java usage jumping.

The only real difference between OpenJDK and paying
Oracle is that Oracle offers sustaining support
after 8 years. Some companies are willing to pay
something for that. But there are obvious limits
on how much they are willing to pay.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Jan 28, 2023, 2:34:06 PM1/28/23
For OpenJDK there are so many places to
look:

Oracle (!) original builds:
https://jdk.java.net/19/ + https://jdk.java.net/archive/

IBM "Semeru" builds:
https://developer.ibm.com/languages/java/semeru-runtimes/downloads/

Redhat (also IBM!) builds:
https://developers.redhat.com/products/openjdk/download

Microsoft builds:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/java/openjdk/download

Eclipse "Adoptium" / "Temurin" builds:
https://adoptium.net/temurin/releases/

Amazon "Coretto" builds:
https://aws.amazon.com/corretto/

SAP "SapMachine" builds:
https://sap.github.io/SapMachine/

Azul "Zulu" builds:
https://www.azul.com/downloads/?package=jdk

JetBrains builds:
https://github.com/JetBrains/JetBrainsRuntime/releases

Heck if somebody want chinese then:

Alibaba "Dragonwell" builds:
https://dragonwell-jdk.io/#/index

TenCent "Kona" builds:
https://github.com/Tencent/TencentKona-8/releases +
https://github.com/Tencent/TencentKona-11/releases

Arne

gah4

Jan 28, 2023, 4:07:30 PM1/28/23
On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 4:52:41 PM UTC-8, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> Everybody has heard about:
> - license per server
> - license per CPU socket
> - license per CPU core
> - license per user
>
> But Oracle just invented something new: license per employee.

I haven't followed this for a while, but it used to be that Microsoft licensed by clients.

Including network clients.

And in the case of an SMTP (TCP/IP mail) server, everyone who sent mail to it counted as a client.
(They might have changed it, as that was some years ago.)

In the case of Oracle, it seems that (all?) you have to do is split the company,
such that one branch, that is separate company, does the Oracle work.

Scott Dorsey

Jan 28, 2023, 4:16:29 PM1/28/23
On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 4:52:41 PM UTC-8, Arne Vajh=C3=B8j wrote:
> But Oracle just invented something new: license per employee.=20

It makes reasonable sense. Oracle isn't necessarily trying to bill
customers in a way proportional to how much of Oracle's product they
use. They aren't trying to bill customers in a way proportional to
how many instances of Oracle's products they use. They want to bill
customers in proportion to how much those customers can afford to pay.

Think of this as an optimization problem where their goal as vendor is
to optimize the total amount of money customers pay them. They don't want
to get smaller customers to drop their products, but they want larger
customers to pay to their utmost ability to do so.
--scott