Intel Announces 13th Gen "Raptor Lake" multi-core CPU Chips

Bob Gezelter

Sep 27, 2022, 8:16:12 PM9/27/22
Ars Technica reports Intel's annoucement of the Raptor Lake family of multij-core CPUs:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/intels-first-13th-gen-core-cpus-include-few-surprises-but-many-cores/

It will be interesting to see the details of future OpenVMS support.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

Single Stage to Orbit

Sep 28, 2022, 4:01:49 AM9/28/22
On Tue, 2022-09-27 at 17:16 -0700, Bob Gezelter wrote:
> Ars Technica reports Intel's annoucement of the Raptor Lake family of
> multij-core CPUs:
>
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/intels-first-13th-gen-core-cpus-include-few-surprises-but-many-cores/
>
> It will be interesting to see the details of future OpenVMS support.

I'd like to see OpenVMS running on AMD as well.
--
Tactical Nuclear Kittens

Arne Vajhøj

Sep 28, 2022, 7:45:03 AM9/28/22
On 9/27/2022 8:16 PM, Bob Gezelter wrote:
> Ars Technica reports Intel's annoucement of the Raptor Lake family of multij-core CPUs:
>
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/intels-first-13th-gen-core-cpus-include-few-surprises-but-many-cores/
>
> It will be interesting to see the details of future OpenVMS support.

What is important is that VMS is good CPU wise - there will
come out new CPU's approx. every year going forward. No waiting
forever on Itanium models that get years and years delayed.

Arne

John Dallman

Sep 28, 2022, 7:55:53 AM9/28/22
In article <th1c3i$1a6r$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, ar...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
wrote:

> What is important is that VMS is good CPU wise - there will
> come out new CPU's approx. every year going forward. No waiting
> forever on Itanium models that get years and years delayed.

Are there any statistics on the rate at which customers abandoned VMS
over the last couple of decades? It was clear by about 2007 that Itanium
was not going to conquer the world. Since HP were sticking with it, and
Alpha was out of production, that was the point at which a long-term
hardware problem for VMS would have been visible to the far-sighted.

John

Arne Vajhøj

Sep 28, 2022, 8:17:44 AM9/28/22
I have no doubt that the number of VMS systems has declined the last
20 years:
- uncertainty about future HW
- lack of commitment from HP(E)
- lack of enhancements
- lack of third party software

VSI has solved 2 of them. 2 to go. :-)

HP(E) and VSI must have specific numbers, but I am sure that they
don't want to share.

Arne

Single Stage to Orbit

Sep 28, 2022, 9:01:51 AM9/28/22
On Wed, 2022-09-28 at 12:55 +0100, John Dallman wrote:
> > What is important is that VMS is good CPU wise - there will
> > come out new CPU's approx. every year going forward. No waiting
> > forever on Itanium models that get years and years delayed.
>
> Are there any statistics on the rate at which customers abandoned VMS
> over the last couple of decades? It was clear by about 2007 that
> Itanium was not going to conquer the world. Since HP were sticking
> with it,and Alpha was out of production, that was the point at which
> a long-term hardware problem for VMS would have been visible to the
> far-sighted.

Trouble with PHBs, is that they tend to look at the bottom line and
profits rather than long term planning.
--
Tactical Nuclear Kittens

chris

Sep 28, 2022, 11:35:54 AM9/28/22
Ideally, VSI should setup a process to generate an hcl list based on
user experience. Most open source os have an hcl (hardware compatability
list), which lists systems and peripherals that have been found to work.
Some closed as well, such as Solaris. This would reduce the load on
VSI and increase the potential market for VMS. Not just peripherals
and controllers, but server vendors and types. VSI won't have time to
test and support every type of hardware, but an involved user base
could help a lot.

It's often not the vendor of an io card that matters, but the chip set
used, as many controllers are based on the chip vendors reference
design, even just a copy, so many cards are interchangeable...

Chris