printing PDF from VMS

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Apr 23, 2021, 7:31:12 AM4/23/21
Thanks to all with suggestions for setting up print queues. I now have:

$ sh que/ful sys$print
Generic printer queue SYS$PRINT
/GENERIC=(JANDER_PRINT,LEEBIG_PRINT,MINNIM_PRINT,AAAAAA_PRINT)
/OWNER=[SYSTEM] /PROTECTION=(S:M,O:D,G:R,W:S)

All of the execution queues are set up the same and look like this:

$ sh que /fu JANDER_PRINT
Printer queue JANDER_PRINT, idle, on JANDER::"192.168.1.21:9100",
mounted form DEFAULT
/BASE_PRIORITY=4 /DEFAULT=(FORM=DEFAULT) Lowercase /OWNER=[SYSTEM]
/PROCESSOR=TCPIP$TELNETSYM /NO_INITIAL_FF
/PROTECTION=(S:M,O:D,G:R,W:SM)
/SCHEDULE=(NOSIZE)

Works fine for text and PostScript, but not for PDF, though PDF can be
printed from other devices. I don't know if those other devices convert
the PDF to something else behind the scenes.

Is there any chance that using TCPIP$LPD_SMB and port 631 would make
that possible?

Do I need to mess with SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$LPD]TCPIP$PRINTCAP.DAT?

Sending a PDF file via the queue above gives a message that directly
printing PDF is not supported, so the printer does recognize it as a PDF
file. It seems strange that a new printer can print PostScript but not
PDF (at least not from VMS via the queue above).

Jan-Erik Söderholm

Apr 23, 2021, 8:02:15 AM4/23/21
Den 2021-04-23 kl. 13:31, skrev Phillip Helbig (undress to reply):
> Thanks to all with suggestions for setting up print queues. I now have:
>
> $ sh que/ful sys$print
> Generic printer queue SYS$PRINT
> /GENERIC=(JANDER_PRINT,LEEBIG_PRINT,MINNIM_PRINT,AAAAAA_PRINT)
> /OWNER=[SYSTEM] /PROTECTION=(S:M,O:D,G:R,W:S)
>
> All of the execution queues are set up the same and look like this:
>
> $ sh que /fu JANDER_PRINT
> Printer queue JANDER_PRINT, idle, on JANDER::"192.168.1.21:9100",
> mounted form DEFAULT
> /BASE_PRIORITY=4 /DEFAULT=(FORM=DEFAULT) Lowercase /OWNER=[SYSTEM]
> /PROCESSOR=TCPIP$TELNETSYM /NO_INITIAL_FF
> /PROTECTION=(S:M,O:D,G:R,W:SM)
> /SCHEDULE=(NOSIZE)
>
> Works fine for text and PostScript, but not for PDF, though PDF can be
> printed from other devices. I don't know if those other devices convert
> the PDF to something else behind the scenes.
>
> Is there any chance that using TCPIP$LPD_SMB and port 631 would make
> that possible?

I see no reason wny the network protocol would make a major
difference when it comes to he printing emulations supported.

> Do I need to mess with SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$LPD]TCPIP$PRINTCAP.DAT?

From examples shown before, it seems that you do not strictly has to.
But it is the usual way to set up LPD.

> Sending a PDF file via the queue above gives a message that directly
> printing PDF is not supported, so the printer does recognize it as a PDF
> file. It seems strange that a new printer can print PostScript but not
> PDF (at least not from VMS via the queue above).

*My* best guess is that printout of PDF *is* supported, *if* it is done
through a driver that takes care of the conversion to a printer
language/emulation that the printer understands.

Simon Clubley

Apr 23, 2021, 8:54:56 AM4/23/21
On 2021-04-23, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) <hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de> wrote:

> Works fine for text and PostScript, but not for PDF, though PDF can be
> printed from other devices. I don't know if those other devices convert
> the PDF to something else behind the scenes.

Three ideas:

1) Try print/passall

2) Find and try a PDF 1.0 document

3) Use Ghostscript to write out a Postscript version of the PDF. If this
works, turn it into a small command procedure that does the conversion
and then queues the Postscript file.

> Is there any chance that using TCPIP$LPD_SMB and port 631 would make
> that possible?

Port 631 is CUPS.

Simon.

Norbert Schönartz

Apr 23, 2021, 12:38:04 PM4/23/21
Am 23.04.2021 um 13:31 schrieb Phillip Helbig (undress to reply):
> Thanks to all with suggestions for setting up print queues. I now have:
>
> $ sh que/ful sys$print
> Generic printer queue SYS$PRINT
> /GENERIC=(JANDER_PRINT,LEEBIG_PRINT,MINNIM_PRINT,AAAAAA_PRINT)
> /OWNER=[SYSTEM] /PROTECTION=(S:M,O:D,G:R,W:S)
>
> All of the execution queues are set up the same and look like this:
>
> $ sh que /fu JANDER_PRINT
> Printer queue JANDER_PRINT, idle, on JANDER::"192.168.1.21:9100",
> mounted form DEFAULT
> /BASE_PRIORITY=4 /DEFAULT=(FORM=DEFAULT) Lowercase /OWNER=[SYSTEM]
> /PROCESSOR=TCPIP$TELNETSYM /NO_INITIAL_FF
> /PROTECTION=(S:M,O:D,G:R,W:SM)
> /SCHEDULE=(NOSIZE)
>
> Works fine for text and PostScript, but not for PDF, though PDF can be
> printed from other devices. I don't know if those other devices convert
> the PDF to something else behind the scenes.

I have a brother MFC-L3730CDN which seems to be rather similar. I also
had no luck in printing PDF documents. Postcript and text documents are
printed correctly.

However, I suggest using a DCPS queue. You then have the possibility to
format text documents e. g. with line numbers and use DCPS parameters
like PAGE_RANGE, NUMBER_UP and so on.

In DCPS_STARTUP.COM I added the following lines to define the queue
COLORLASER:

$ DEFINE /EXEC /SYSTEM DCPS$COLORLASER_PRODUCT_NAME "HPGENERIC"
$!
$ ON ERROR THEN CONTINUE
$ IF .NOT. SETUP_MODE THEN @SYS$STARTUP:DCPS$EXECUTION_QUEUE -
COLORLASER - ! P1 - Execution queue name
AUTO=(RX2660,ZX2000)::"IP_LPD/brother-mfc-l3730cdn:9100" - ! P2
DCPS_LIB - ! P3 - Logical name for library(ies)
"" - ! P4 - Default queue parameters
"/SEPARATE=(NOBURST,NOTRAILER)" - ! P5 - Default queue qualifiers
"" - ! P6 - Communication speed (serial only)
"" - ! P7 - Device characteristics
"" ! P8 - Verify on/off
$!

After starting DCPS the queue is shown as:

rx2660_sys$ sh que/fu colorlaser
Printer queue COLORLASER, idle, on RX2660::DCPS$, mounted form DCPS$DEFAULT
(stock=DEFAULT)
/AUTOSTART_ON=(RX2660::DCPS$,ZX2000::DCPS$) /BASE_PRIORITY=4
/DEFAULT=(FORM=DCPS$DEFAULT (stock=DEFAULT)) /NOENABLE_GENERIC
/LIBRARY=DCPS_LIB Lowercase /OWNER=[SYSTEM] /PROCESSOR=DCPS$SMB
/PROTECTION=(S:M,O:D,G:R,W:S) /SCHEDULE=(NOSIZE)
rx2660_sys$

There is one disadvantage to your solution: When trying to print a PDF
document no error sheet is printed. Instead, the PDF seems to be
recognized as text and lots of sheets of waste are printed.

A DCPS raw TCP queue (which should be better since raw TCP is
bidirectional) did not work. Th printer always showed "receiving data"
and did not print anything.

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Apr 23, 2021, 1:10:17 PM4/23/21
In article <s5ut5b$d83$1...@dont-email.me>, =?UTF-8?Q?Norbert_Sch=c3=b6nartz?= <schoen...@gmx.net> writes:

> > All of the execution queues are set up the same and look like this:
> >
> > $ sh que /fu JANDER_PRINT
> > Printer queue JANDER_PRINT, idle, on JANDER::"192.168.1.21:9100",
> > mounted form DEFAULT
> > /BASE_PRIORITY=4 /DEFAULT=(FORM=DEFAULT) Lowercase /OWNER=[SYSTEM]
> > /PROCESSOR=TCPIP$TELNETSYM /NO_INITIAL_FF
> > /PROTECTION=(S:M,O:D,G:R,W:SM)
> > /SCHEDULE=(NOSIZE)
> >
> > Works fine for text and PostScript, but not for PDF, though PDF can be
> > printed from other devices. I don't know if those other devices convert
> > the PDF to something else behind the scenes.
> >
> I have a brother MFC-L3730CDN which seems to be rather similar. I also
> had no luck in printing PDF documents. Postcript and text documents are
> printed correctly.
>
> However, I suggest using a DCPS queue. You then have the possibility to
> format text documents e. g. with line numbers and use DCPS parameters
> like PAGE_RANGE, NUMBER_UP and so on.

> There is one disadvantage to your solution: When trying to print a PDF
> document no error sheet is printed. Instead, the PDF seems to be
> recognized as text and lots of sheets of waste are printed.

No; sending a PDF via the queue above results in a page being printed
out saying that direct printing of PDF files is not supported. (So the
printer does know that it is getting PDF.)

Simon Clubley

Apr 23, 2021, 1:15:06 PM4/23/21
On 2021-04-23, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) <hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de> wrote:

> No; sending a PDF via the queue above results in a page being printed
> out saying that direct printing of PDF files is not supported. (So the
> printer does know that it is getting PDF.)

Add an option 4) to my previous list: If something like netcat is
available for VMS, then use it to send the PDF directly to the
JetDirect port (port 9100) to eliminate the possibility that the
VMS printer queue is messing up the PDF contents.

BTW, have you been able to try any of my suggestions yet ?

Norbert Schönartz

Apr 23, 2021, 1:27:48 PM4/23/21
Unfortunately my words were misleading, sorry. What I wanted to say was
"There is one disadvantage compared to your solution": Using your telnet
queue an error page is printed, while the DCPS queue prints lots of
unreadable sheets. But in my opinion the formatting options when using
DCPS far outweigh this disadvantage. If we know that it is not possible
to print PDFs we will not try it...

--
Norbert

Mark Berryman

Apr 23, 2021, 4:47:40 PM4/23/21
You have set up a symbiont pointing to port 9100. Port 9100 is
variously known as RAW printing, JetDirect, or AppSocket. That port is
designed to simply receive a file and print it. It does not do any
processing. Typically, it will only accept text files and files in
whatever format is configured as the native language of the printer. In
all of the printers I have seen, that is either some form of Postscript
or PCL. It would appear that the native language of your printer is
Postscript which is why you can print text files and postscript files
but nothing else.

If you were to set up an LPD queue, it is possible that you could
successfully print a PDF file in that manner.

Unless you are running Multinet, it is unlikely that you have a symbiont
supporting IPP so pointing your symbiont at port 631 will not help since
port 631 is for the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP). If you use the
LPD symbiont, it will need to use port 515.

The other devices that can successfully print PDF files on this printer
are almost certainly using IPP (or AirPrint, a superset of IPP). It is
unlikely that they are transforming the file behind the scenes.

To all,

I have sent Philip a utility he can use to query the capabilities of his
printer and also use to print any type file his printer supports
(updated, since I left a spurious check in the first version I sent
him). This utility should work as far back as V7.3-2.

If anyone else would like to try it, you will find it here:
https://theberrymans.com/php_kits/ipp.zip

If you do happen to try it, feedback is encouraged.

Mark Berryman

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Apr 24, 2021, 3:08:34 AM4/24/21
In article <s5vbpa$r1c$1...@dont-email.me>, Mark Berryman
<ma...@theberrymans.com> writes:

> You have set up a symbiont pointing to port 9100. Port 9100 is
> variously known as RAW printing, JetDirect, or AppSocket. That port is
> designed to simply receive a file and print it. It does not do any
> processing. Typically, it will only accept text files and files in
> whatever format is configured as the native language of the printer. In
> all of the printers I have seen, that is either some form of Postscript
> or PCL. It would appear that the native language of your printer is
> Postscript which is why you can print text files and postscript files
> but nothing else.

The printer claims to support (whatever that means) PostScript AND PDF.
So it seems strange that it can print one natively but not the other.

> If you were to set up an LPD queue, it is possible that you could
> successfully print a PDF file in that manner.

I'll give it a try.

Thanks to all who have made suggestions. I'll definitely take them all
into account and would like to get it working. However, since the
printer now does 99% of what I need, and other items in my queue are
higher priority, it might be a week or two before I get around to it.

> Unless you are running Multinet, it is unlikely that you have a symbiont
> supporting IPP so pointing your symbiont at port 631 will not help since
> port 631 is for the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP). If you use the
> LPD symbiont, it will need to use port 515.

OK.

> The other devices that can successfully print PDF files on this printer
> are almost certainly using IPP (or AirPrint, a superset of IPP). It is
> unlikely that they are transforming the file behind the scenes.

Definitely AirPrint, as they are all Apple devices.

Technical question: in the case of AirPrint, is the PDF transformed into
something else and if so, what and where?

> I have sent Philip a utility he can use to query the capabilities of his
> printer and also use to print any type file his printer supports
> (updated, since I left a spurious check in the first version I sent
> him). This utility should work as far back as V7.3-2.
>
> If anyone else would like to try it, you will find it here:
> https://theberrymans.com/php_kits/ipp.zip
>
> If you do happen to try it, feedback is encouraged.

Thanks very much. As you note, the first version had some problems, but
I'll try to take a look at the new version sometime this weekend.

Norbert Schönartz

Apr 24, 2021, 9:54:29 AM4/24/21
I tried the ipp show command of your ipp tool (IA64 version) with my
brother MFC-L3730CDN printer and it gave a lot of useful inormation
about the printer's capabilities. As for PDF support the result was:

pdf-versions-supported: none

This seems to indicate that the printer does not natively support PDF
files. This is in accordance with my failed attempts these files.

Unfortunately I could not use the tool for printing anything. The ipp
show command gave the following result for printer-uri-supported:

printer-uri-supported: ipp://192.168.1.70/ipp/print

Using this I tried

$ ipp print SYS$COMMON:[SYSMGR]TFF$SYSTARTUP.COM;1 -
/device_url=ipp://192.168.1.70/ipp/print

and got the following error message:

%DCL-W-NOKEYW, qualifier name is missing - append the name to the slash

Also tried using the DNS name - same result.

Following your hint I changed the port from 9100 to 515 in my DCPS setup
file, but there is no change in the behaviour. It works exactly the same
way as with port 9100 before.

--
Norbert

Jan-Erik Söderholm

Apr 24, 2021, 9:58:21 AM4/24/21
Maybe confused by the double "//" in the command.
Have you tried with /device_url="ipp://192.168.1.70" ?

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Apr 24, 2021, 10:01:27 AM4/24/21
In article <s617uj$evo$1...@dont-email.me>,
=?UTF-8?Q?Norbert_Sch=c3=b6nartz?= <schoen...@gmx.net> writes:

> I tried the ipp show command of your ipp tool (IA64 version) with my
> brother MFC-L3730CDN printer and it gave a lot of useful inormation
> about the printer's capabilities. As for PDF support the result was:
>
> pdf-versions-supported: none

Same here.

> This seems to indicate that the printer does not natively support PDF
> files. This is in accordance with my failed attempts these files.
>
> Unfortunately I could not use the tool for printing anything. The ipp
> show command gave the following result for printer-uri-supported:
>
> printer-uri-supported: ipp://192.168.1.70/ipp/print

It seems strange that the spec sheet claims PDF support (mentioning
version 1.0 at one point and 1.4 at another). If that means that it
will print PDF if converted to something else it can understand before
it gets to the printer, then it trivially supports all formats, but it
seems misleading and not very useful to mention it at all. (I am happy
that it prints PostScript, though, which is more important for me: most
PDF I have on VMS comes from PostScript (usually written by me via a
Fortran program); I can use ghostscript to convert PDF to PostScript and
print the PostScript; I can also print PDF via my iPad (if from VMS,
then copy the file to somewhere my webserver can see it and access it
from the iPad via http).) So, if it can't print PDF, it's not a
show-stopper, but it would be nice to have.

As mentioned here, the queue is to port 9100 and uses TCPIP$TELNETSYM;
whether I can use LPD and/or another port and print PDF directly, I
don't know, but it would be interesting to find out.

Presumably 9100 doesn't use IPP, but then again I know too little about
this. It would be interesting if I could set up a print queue on VMS
which would print PDF directly from VMS.

Again, if sent a PDF file, it prints out a message saying that directly
printing PDF is not supported, so it obviously recognizes it as a PDF
file (and thankfully doesn't print out pages of junk); maybe all it
knows about PDF is the magic number.

> Using this I tried
>
> $ ipp print SYS$COMMON:[SYSMGR]TFF$SYSTARTUP.COM;1 -
> /device_url=ipp://192.168.1.70/ipp/print
>
> and got the following error message:
>
> %DCL-W-NOKEYW, qualifier name is missing - append the name to the slash

Try

Norbert Schönartz

Apr 24, 2021, 10:12:59 AM4/24/21
Thanks. That solved the problem.

Norbert Schönartz

Apr 24, 2021, 10:20:50 AM4/24/21
Am 24.04.2021 um 16:01 schrieb Phillip Helbig (undress to reply):
> Again, if sent a PDF file, it prints out a message saying that directly
> printing PDF is not supported, so it obviously recognizes it as a PDF
> file (and thankfully doesn't print out pages of junk); maybe all it
> knows about PDF is the magic number.

Yes, using a DCPS queue produces junk if you try to print a PDF file.
But since we know it cannot be printed, this junk can be easily avoided.
But DCPS gives you a lot of options for formatting, e.g. defining the
font size and adding line numbers for text files, as well as control
over duplex printing, printing several pages on one sheet etc.

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Apr 24, 2021, 10:32:02 AM4/24/21
In article <s619g0$pf4$1...@dont-email.me>,
=?UTF-8?Q?Norbert_Sch=c3=b6nartz?= <schoen...@gmx.net> writes:

> Am 24.04.2021 um 16:01 schrieb Phillip Helbig (undress to reply):
> > Again, if sent a PDF file, it prints out a message saying that directly
> > printing PDF is not supported, so it obviously recognizes it as a PDF
> > file (and thankfully doesn't print out pages of junk); maybe all it
> > knows about PDF is the magic number.
>
> Yes, using a DCPS queue produces junk if you try to print a PDF file.

No DCPS queue, just

$ mc DISK$SCRATCH:[HELBIG.IPP]IPP.EXE_ALPHA print/device_url="<ip_address>"

David Jones

Apr 24, 2021, 11:55:34 AM4/24/21
On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 10:20:50 AM UTC-4, Norbert Schönartz wrote:
> But DCPS gives you a lot of options for formatting, e.g. defining the
> font size and adding line numbers for text files, as well as control
> over duplex printing, printing several pages on one sheet etc.

My favorite is using parameters data_type=list,page_orientation=landscape,sides=2
to simulate old-fashioned green bar printer paper.

Chris Townley

Apr 24, 2021, 12:14:19 PM4/24/21
On 23/04/2021 21:47, Mark Berryman wrote:

> To all,
>
> I have sent Philip a utility he can use to query the capabilities of his
> printer and also use to print any type file his printer supports
> (updated, since I left a spurious check in the first version I sent
> him).  This utility should work as far back as V7.3-2.
>
> If anyone else would like to try it, you will find it here:
> https://theberrymans.com/php_kits/ipp.zip
>
> If you do happen to try it, feedback is encouraged.
>
> Mark Berryman

Interested in this, as my HP inkjet (wireless, but with a fixed IP
address through DHCP) is meant to airprint compatible. I have tried IPP
to initially SHOW my printer. However whatever I give as a parameter, I
just get either %SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM, bad parameter value, or just no
address associated with hostname.

If I try with /device_url= whatever I enter I get %SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM,
bad parameter value. Same if I try to print.

I haver tried numerous ports but all to no avail...

Is the source available?

Chris

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Apr 24, 2021, 1:12:12 PM4/24/21
In article <s61g4p$8t8$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris Townley
<ne...@cct-net.co.uk> writes:

> Interested in this, as my HP inkjet (wireless, but with a fixed IP
> address through DHCP)

Do you mean you set the DHCP to always give it the same address? (My
printer also has wireless support but I'm using a cable; it also does
DHCP but I gave it a fixed address (via the admin menu for the
printer).)

> is meant to airprint compatible. I have tried IPP
> to initially SHOW my printer. However whatever I give as a parameter, I
> just get either %SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM, bad parameter value, or just no
> address associated with hostname.
>
> If I try with /device_url= whatever I enter I get %SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM,
> bad parameter value. Same if I try to print.

Did you quote the argument?

Chris Townley

Apr 24, 2021, 1:29:05 PM4/24/21
On 24/04/2021 18:12, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> In article <s61g4p$8t8$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris Townley
> <ne...@cct-net.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Interested in this, as my HP inkjet (wireless, but with a fixed IP
>> address through DHCP)
>
> Do you mean you set the DHCP to always give it the same address? (My
> printer also has wireless support but I'm using a cable; it also does
> DHCP but I gave it a fixed address (via the admin menu for the
> printer).)

Yes, very easy - based on the MAC address

>> is meant to airprint compatible. I have tried IPP
>> to initially SHOW my printer. However whatever I give as a parameter, I
>> just get either %SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM, bad parameter value, or just no
>> address associated with hostname.
>>
>> If I try with /device_url= whatever I enter I get %SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM,
>> bad parameter value. Same if I try to print.
>
> Did you quote the argument?

Yes, although I have tried many combinations!

Chris

Mark Berryman

Apr 24, 2021, 3:25:16 PM4/24/21
Could you provide the command line used for the SHOW command, your VMS
version, and your IP stack version, please? Either here or via email.

Your system seems to be objecting to something in the TCP routines.

Mark Berryman

Chris Townley

Apr 24, 2021, 4:52:24 PM4/24/21
VSI VMS V8.4-2L1, using TCPware V6.0-0

Example commands, and responses - did say I tried a few!):

$ mcr dka100:[townleyc.free.ipp]ipp.exe_alpha show "192.168.1.10"
%SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM, bad parameter value
$ mcr dka100:[townleyc.free.ipp]ipp.exe_alpha show "192.168.1.10:9100"
15:58:40.50: no address associated with hostname
$ mcr dka100:[townleyc.free.ipp]ipp.exe_alpha show 192.168.1.10:9100
15:58:52.11: no address associated with hostname
$ mcr dka100:[townleyc.free.ipp]ipp.exe_alpha show 192.168.1.10:3911
15:59:09.22: no address associated with hostname
$
$ mcr dka100:[townleyc.free.ipp]ipp.exe_alpha show
/device_url="ipp://192.168.1.10"
%DCL-W-IVQUAL, unrecognized qualifier - check validity, spelling, and
placement
$ mcr dka100:[townleyc.free.ipp]ipp.exe_alpha show INKJET
/device_url="ipp://192.168.1.10"
%DCL-W-IVQUAL, unrecognized qualifier - check validity, spelling, and
placement
$ mcr dka100:[townleyc.free.ipp]ipp.exe_alpha show INKJET
/device_url="ipp://192.168.1.10:9100"
%DCL-W-IVQUAL, unrecognized qualifier - check validity, spelling, and
placement
$ mcr dka100:[townleyc.free.ipp]ipp.exe_alpha show INKJET
/device_url="ipp://192.168.1.10:515"
%DCL-W-IVQUAL, unrecognized qualifier - check validity, spelling, and
placement
$ mcr dka100:[townleyc.free.ipp]ipp.exe_alpha show 192.168.1.10:631
16:02:05.72: no address associated with hostname
$ mcr dka100:[townleyc.free.ipp]ipp.exe_alpha show 192.168.1.10:515
16:02:10.16: no address associated with hostname
$
$ mcr dka100:[townleyc.free.ipp]ipp.exe_alpha show INKJET
/device_url="ipp://192.168.1.10/ipp/print"
%DCL-W-IVQUAL, unrecognized qualifier - check validity, spelling, and
placement
$ mcr dka100:[townleyc.free.ipp]ipp.exe_alpha show
/device_url="ipp://192.168.1.10/ipp/print"
%DCL-W-IVQUAL, unrecognized qualifier - check validity, spelling, and
placement
$ mcr dka100:[townleyc.free.ipp]ipp.exe_alpha print [-.-]x.com
/device_url="ipp://192.168.1.10/ipp/print"
%SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM, bad parameter value
$ mcr dka100:[townleyc.free.ipp]ipp.exe_alpha print [.-.-]x.com
/device_url="ipp://192.168.1.10/ipp/print"
%SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM, bad parameter value

Chris

Mark Berryman

Apr 24, 2021, 10:13:40 PM4/24/21
Just specify the printer address without quotes and without a port number.

mcr dka100:[townleyc.free.ipp]ipp.exe_alpha show 192.168.1.10

Mark

Chris Townley

Apr 25, 2021, 7:10:16 AM4/25/21
On 25/04/2021 03:13, Mark Berryman wrote:

> Just specify the printer address without quotes and without a port number.
>
> mcr dka100:[townleyc.free.ipp]ipp.exe_alpha show 192.168.1.10
>
> Mark

This just gives:

$ ipp show 192.168.1.10
%SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM, bad parameter value

I can ping it:

$ netcu ping 192.168.1.10
PING 192.168.1.10: 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.1.10: icmp_seq=0. time=27. ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.10: icmp_seq=1. time=2. ms

I tried on an HP VMS V8.3 with TCP/IP services (Version V5.6) using the
same emulator, and got exactly the same result.

Just checked on the control page for the printer - Airprint is on, as is
IPP and IPPS

Chris

Mark Berryman

Apr 26, 2021, 10:07:13 AM4/26/21
I stood up a system running VMS 8.4 and TCP/IP Services v5.7 and did
some testing. It turns out that TCP/IP services requires privilege to
create a socket with socket options whereas Multinet does not.

The socket options in question are the size of the send and receive
buffers and one of OPER, SYSPRV, or BYPASS is required when using TCP/IP
Services.

I have put up a new kit that will try both with and without the socket
options. Hopefully, this will address the issue that some folks were
having.

Mark Berryman

Chris Townley

Apr 26, 2021, 10:39:38 AM4/26/21
I was running with OPER & SYSPRIV

Will try the new version - thanks

Chris

Chris Townley

Apr 26, 2021, 11:01:59 AM4/26/21
Same result:

$ ipp show 192.168.1.10
%SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM, bad parameter value

Again running with OPER & SYSPRIV

Chris

Mark Berryman

Apr 26, 2021, 12:33:15 PM4/26/21
Chris,

Please contact me via email. I'd like to figure out why you are getting
that error.

Mark