Google Групи більше не підтримують нові дописи або підписки Usenet. Наявний контент можна переглядати.

Simh project about to collapse ?

224 перегляди
Перейти до першого непрочитаного повідомлення

Simon Clubley

не прочитано,
18 трав. 2022 р., 08:59:4318.05.22
Кому:
Just a warning to those of you using simh to emulate various architectures.

It looks like the simh project may be about to collapse:

https://groups.io/g/simh/topics

It looks like the drama started when someone modified simh to write,
by default, metadata back to what should be immutable container files
and then it escalated from there.

Simon.

John H. Reinhardt

не прочитано,
18 трав. 2022 р., 09:20:0818.05.22
Кому:
On 5/18/2022 7:59 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
> Just a warning to those of you using simh to emulate various architectures.
>
> It looks like the simh project may be about to collapse:
>
> https://groups.io/g/simh/topics
>
> It looks like the drama started when someone modified simh to write,
> by default, metadata back to what should be immutable container files
> and then it escalated from there.
>
> Simon.

Depends on which version you use. Bob Supnik's V3 is doing fine over at http://simh.trailing-edge.com/ with a new release as of 05-May-2022 with V3.12-2

The "V4" project is the one in danger. Though someone will probably fork it before the bruhaha started and it will continue on somehow.

--
John H. Reinhardt

Bob Eager

не прочитано,
18 трав. 2022 р., 09:22:1518.05.22
Кому:
On Wed, 18 May 2022 08:20:04 -0500, John H. Reinhardt wrote:

> On 5/18/2022 7:59 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>> Just a warning to those of you using simh to emulate various
>> architectures.
>>
>> It looks like the simh project may be about to collapse:
>>
>> https://groups.io/g/simh/topics
>>
>> It looks like the drama started when someone modified simh to write, by
>> default, metadata back to what should be immutable container files and
>> then it escalated from there.
>>
>> Simon.
>>

> Depends on which version you use. Bob Supnik's V3 is doing fine over at
> http://simh.trailing-edge.com/ with a new release as of 05-May-2022 with
> V3.12-2

Indeed. I avoided the V4 fork (which the person who started all the fuss
has tried to make the 'official' one) and am basing a new simulator on
V3.x.

Bob Eager

не прочитано,
18 трав. 2022 р., 09:23:2818.05.22
Кому:
On Wed, 18 May 2022 12:59:41 +0000, Simon Clubley wrote:

> Just a warning to those of you using simh to emulate various
> architectures.
>
> It looks like the simh project may be about to collapse:
>
> https://groups.io/g/simh/topics
>
> It looks like the drama started when someone modified simh to write,
> by default, metadata back to what should be immutable container files
> and then it escalated from there.

That someone seems to regard it as his own personal project, and has been
riding roughshod for a while.

But 3.x is still going strong under the original author.

John H. Reinhardt

не прочитано,
18 трав. 2022 р., 09:29:1918.05.22
Кому:
On 5/18/2022 8:22 AM, Bob Eager wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2022 08:20:04 -0500, John H. Reinhardt wrote:
>
>> On 5/18/2022 7:59 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>>> Just a warning to those of you using simh to emulate various
>>> architectures.
>>>
>>> It looks like the simh project may be about to collapse:
>>>
>>> https://groups.io/g/simh/topics
>>>
>>> It looks like the drama started when someone modified simh to write, by
>>> default, metadata back to what should be immutable container files and
>>> then it escalated from there.
>>>
>>> Simon.
>>>

>> Depends on which version you use. Bob Supnik's V3 is doing fine over at
>> http://simh.trailing-edge.com/ with a new release as of 05-May-2022 with
>> V3.12-2
>
> Indeed. I avoided the V4 fork (which the person who started all the fuss
> has tried to make the 'official' one) and am basing a new simulator on
> V3.x.

"V4" has some nice improvements, not to mention some nice simulator additions. It's going to suck to switch back to V3 and have to hope someone re-ports the good things. (Not me, I can barely spell "C" much less program in it).

--
John H. Reinhardt

Arne Vajhøj

не прочитано,
18 трав. 2022 р., 16:06:1218.05.22
Кому:
On 5/18/2022 8:59 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
> Just a warning to those of you using simh to emulate various architectures.
>
> It looks like the simh project may be about to collapse:
>
> https://groups.io/g/simh/topics
>
> It looks like the drama started when someone modified simh to write,
> by default, metadata back to what should be immutable container files
> and then it escalated from there.

I believe there is strong interest in SIMH.

That means it will not collapse.

Either they will work it out or it will be forked and
the fork will become the main version.

Arne

Bill Gunshannon

не прочитано,
19 трав. 2022 р., 08:54:2119.05.22
Кому:
I was going to comment on this but have been out of the loop for a few
days (another bad hospital stay, sigh...). I only use the orignal
Supnik version and avoid all the drama. But then, as everyone here
probably already knows, I still use K&R C, too. Such is the life of
a dinosaur.

bill

Bill Gunshannon

не прочитано,
19 трав. 2022 р., 08:56:2719.05.22
Кому:
The only "main version" is the original. Anything else is just a cheap
copy.

bill

0 нових повідомлень