Sue leaving the VMS eng. group

DaveG

May 6, 2009, 3:05:38 PM5/6/09
Just got an email from Ann McQ. Sue is leaving the VMS group after 15
years. Not sure if she's leaving HP or not. A replacement has been
named.

se...@obanion.us

May 6, 2009, 3:09:54 PM5/6/09

As professional as Sue has always been, this just breaks my heart.

Must also be the end of the Boot camps...

Sean

Alan Frisbie

May 6, 2009, 3:21:25 PM5/6/09

I am greatly saddened by this news. Sue has always been one of my
favorite people and I hate to see her leaving the VMS group.

Alan Frisbie

JF Mezei

May 6, 2009, 3:30:53 PM5/6/09
Here is the text of the announcement:
---------

From: "McQuaid, Ann" <ann.m...@hpXX.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 18:54:02 +0000
Subject: OpenVMS Customer Program Announcement

Dear OpenVMS Community,

After 15 years with OpenVMS Engineering, Sue Skonetski will be pursuing
new opportunities. She has made many contributions to OpenVMS during her
tenure which have led to OpenVMS' long standing success. Many thanks to
Sue for her energy and dedication.

Sue will be succeeded by Sujatha Ramani who will assume Sue's
responsibilities including Technical Customer Programs and Communications,

Sujatha holds a Bachelors degree in Computer Science and an MBA. She
comes to this position with over 17 years of experience in the IT
industry. She has been working for the last 11 years at HP and has
experience in a multitude of business units including PSG, TSG and IPG.
Sujatha brings rich experience in Sales, Marketing, Operations,
Channels Management and Enterprise Account Management. She has won
several recognitions including the "HP Presidents Club Winner" for
consistent sales performance. Sujatha was recognized the "Young
Achiever" By CII (Confederation of Indian Industries) in the Corporate
IT category.

Please join me in welcoming Sujatha and in wishing Sue the very best.

Best regards,

Ann

P.S. If you plan on attending the HP Tech Forum, please stop by the
Business Critical Systems Booth and meet Sujatha.

--------

VAXman-

May 6, 2009, 3:34:05 PM5/6/09

Since you seem to be the ONLY one who has received this, would you
post its contents here?

I wish that HP would be a bit more honest and tell all of us what
it's doing to further destroy VMS and our livelihoods, but I have
never trusted HP.

http://www.quirkfactory.com/popart/asskey/eqn2.png

DaveG

May 6, 2009, 3:37:24 PM5/6/09
On May 6, 2:34 pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

> In article <012f4df3-39ca-4960-9691-917779f1e...@e23g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>, DaveG <david.gudew...@abbott.com> writes:
>
> >Just got an email from Ann McQ.  Sue is leaving the VMS group after 15
> >years.  Not sure if she's leaving HP or not.  A replacement has been
> >named.
>
> Since you seem to be the ONLY one who has received this, would you
> post its contents here?
>
> I wish that HP would be a bit more honest and tell all of us what
> it's doing to further destroy VMS and our livelihoods, but I have
> never trusted HP.
> --
> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG
>
>  http://www.quirkfactory.com/popart/asskey/eqn2.png
>
>   "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"

I am certain I was not the ONLY one to get this message. And I
noticed that JF has already posted the text. I tend not to do this
what with full name, rank and serial numbers visible.

Malcolm Dunnett

May 6, 2009, 3:43:50 PM5/6/09
JF Mezei wrote:

> After 15 years with OpenVMS Engineering, Sue Skonetski will be pursuing
> new opportunities.

That's frequently a euphemism for "fired". Hope that's not the case here.

Sue's one of the best DEC/Compaq/HP people I've run into over the past
33 years.

ps to JF - how do you get to be one of the "VMS Community" that rates
receiving the notification? I've only been a VMS customer for 29 years,
I guess that's not long enough to qualify.

JF Mezei

May 6, 2009, 4:04:27 PM5/6/09
Alan Frisbie wrote:

> I am greatly saddened by this news. Sue has always been one of my
> favorite people and I hate to see her leaving the VMS group.

Lets just say that the wording of the announcement was carefully chosen
by HP. (update: someone else noticed the wording too but it isn't up to
me to confirm/deny what really is happening, and whether the
announcement represents the full scope of the changes or not, or whether
Mark Hurd prefers chocolate or vanilla ice cream.)

Sue is a very professional and patient person. Her dedication to Digital
goes far beyond the 15 years stated by Ann McQuaid. Digital has been
her career/family for (I am sure Sue can correct me on this) over 25
years. She knew Ken Olsen personally.

Guys, this shouldn't sound like an obituary. Sue is now free of HP's
hold, and will be able to pursue a new career inside or outside of VMS
community with a company/organisation that will undoubdtely greatly
value her personality, patience, perseverance, and especially her
personnal knowledge of a very valuable enterprise community. (the list
of positive qualifications is extensive, I can't list them all in one
message).

Sue was an incredible asset to her employer and will be to her next
employer. She has an incredible ability to keep the VMS community
together (and everyone here knows how demanding and complaining buch we
are !) despite the total lack of desire from HP to keep us informed. And
she had the uncanny ability to change people's attitude that VMS was
doomed into a positive attitude that VMS was succesful.

She also has had an extreme sense of professionalism and ability to toe
the corporate line when it was time to do so even if she disagreed with it.

When you consider all that VMS engineering has gone through since the
Palmer era, and especially what has been happening in the last few
months, Sue's dedication to her job has been remarkable. She has
continued to send out her newsletters, always as cheerful and positive
as ever.

Sue also brought to the VMS community something unique: A PERSONNAL TOUCH.

Consider the number of problems Sue was able to solve for large and
small customers alike and, contrary to many large corporations where
customers are nothing but numbers, Sue actually sought to meet and know
as many customers as she could on a personal level.

If I were the president of IBM, I would hire Sue right away because of
the value she would bring to the company.

Ed Wilts

May 6, 2009, 4:40:16 PM5/6/09
On May 6, 2:30 pm, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spam...@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> P.S. If you plan on attending the HP Tech Forum, please stop by the
> Business Critical Systems Booth and meet Sujatha.

Enjoy it while you can. Sue's job has also gone to India so this
might be the last time you hear from Sujatha.

Since my VMScluster is about to celebrate's its 10th cluster_ftime
anniversary, seeing Sue leave does not make me any happier today.

.../Ed

Tybalt> say f$getsyi("cluster_ftime")
30-MAY-1999 07:28:07.05

decfreak-AT-gmail-DOT-com

May 6, 2009, 4:58:41 PM5/6/09
to Oliver Bach
> As professional as Sue has always been, this just breaks my heart.
Couldn't have said it better.

Sue is such a great person
... very big footprints for Sujatha to fill.

>Must also be the end of the Boot camps...

Hopefully they woun't continue in Bangalore ... :-(

Oliver
(DECfreak)

VAXman-

May 6, 2009, 5:46:32 PM5/6/09

Now we'll get is the smell of tamarind and lime pickle.

Richard B. Gilbert

May 6, 2009, 6:01:16 PM5/6/09

A little too cryptic for me!!

If you are speaking of outsourcing Sue's job to India, ROTF & LMAO!
They MIGHT be stupid enough to try it! Probability of success outside
of India is about 0.0000001!

Sue

May 6, 2009, 6:24:06 PM5/6/09

Dear Malcolm,

You needed to be part of my distribution list to get the email, there
is no slight intended.

And I am still looking at this news group ;')

And no I was not fired, just looking for a job.

Sue

JF Mezei

May 6, 2009, 7:13:30 PM5/6/09
Sue wrote:

> And no I was not fired, just looking for a job.

I have it on good authority that Sue was caught red-handed stealing a
black felt marker from the office supplies cabinet without having filled
the pre-requisite paperwork and getting signed approval from the
executive VP in cuppertino, and that is cause got immediate dismissal
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) ;-)

JF Mezei

May 6, 2009, 7:15:12 PM5/6/09
Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

> If you are speaking of outsourcing Sue's job to India, ROTF & LMAO!
> They MIGHT be stupid enough to try it! Probability of success outside
> of India is about 0.0000001!

It isn't outsourced. HP has moved that function to a different HP
division in a different location.

Tore Sinding Bekkedal

May 6, 2009, 7:40:53 PM5/6/09
On May 6, 9:30 pm, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spam...@vaxination.ca> wrote:
> Here is the text of the announcement:
> ---------
>
> From: "McQuaid, Ann" <ann.mcqu...@hpXX.com>
> After 15 years with OpenVMS Engineering

...or 25 years in DEC/Compaq/HP in total...

> [Sujatha] has been working for the last 11 years at HP...

Wow, so she's witnessed the majority of the company's downward spiral
in product quality? That is exceptionally confidence-inspiring.

> and has
> experience in a multitude of business units including PSG, TSG and IPG.
>  Sujatha brings rich experience in Sales, Marketing, Operations,
> Channels Management and Enterprise Account Management.

Fantastic! Just what HP needs, another MBA taking the place of an
exceptionally competent person. Good going, HP - If you keep up at
this pace, you'll get to be Chrysler soon. Fiat owns a few IT
companies, you know.

I can picture the advertisements now:
"HP (R) - No real products left, but we're probably too big to die!
(tm)".
(The Shrugging Businessman logo is a registered trademark of HP.)

This is... indescribably unfair. I hope Sue finds something much
better to do, in a better company. What she means to the community is
impossible to quantify (and thus hard for an MBA to understand), but
if it weren't for her, I would be considering VMS an interesting
historical footnote "by that guy who made Windows NT" like most other
people my age do, thanks to your impeccable mismanagement.

-Tore

Sue

May 6, 2009, 7:45:21 PM5/6/09
Dear JF,

Thank you for such an amazing note. And thanks to everyone else for
their support.

I am not real sure that the president of IBM reads the VMS news
group.

I will be reading HP mail until June 5th after that as a VMS fan on my
Hotmail account.

And who ever mentioned it, no I did not get fired. But I am looking
for a job.

Warm Regards.
Sue

Sue

May 6, 2009, 7:48:32 PM5/6/09

yep its those markers is it red handed for black markers and black
handed for red markers, what about purple and green.

It would do a lot for me to get fired, I love what I do. I work with
the smartest people in the world.

Sue

Richard B. Gilbert

May 6, 2009, 8:19:03 PM5/6/09

That's libelous JF!

Richard B. Gilbert

May 6, 2009, 8:23:42 PM5/6/09

If they were all that smart you would be running HP!

Message has been deleted

JF Mezei

May 7, 2009, 1:52:14 AM5/7/09
Some questions remain unanwered:

-What happens to the VMS ambassadors ? Do they still exist, or will they
be watered down because there is nobody to coordinate communications
with them ?

-What happens to Hobbyist programme ? Sue was the contact/coordinator.
Does that move to her replacement, or is that something that will be in
a vacuum ?

-What happens to coordination with the user group formerly known as
DECUS (I think it is called Connect this week ? Will Sue's replacement
in india be a central worldwide contact for VMS related issues, or will
there be some local representative in each country ?

-Will Sue's most excellent communications such as the Digital Technical
Journal, and her email updates continue with her replacement, or will
her replacement concentrate only on sale opportunities ?

-Will the new gang in India work extremely hard to prove they can handle
the job and end up giving us more than we had before ?

IanMiller

May 7, 2009, 3:32:28 AM5/7/09

The end of an era yes. The end of VMS - No.

ja

May 7, 2009, 4:09:47 AM5/7/09
to brett....@hp.com

Well said, Ian!

Instead of bemoaning the past, why not accept that change happens and
start off by welcoming someone who has a very hard act to follow?

This has nothing to do with disrespect for Sue S., with whom I have
worked for more years than I can remember.
The note by someone pointing out that she is now "free" to pursue
activities without the "restrictions" placed on her by a very large
enterprise, is extremely important, I think. How about a Boot Camp
(under another name), organized by Sue and held in, say, Bangalore?
Nashua may be nice in the Spring and Fall, but, that hotel, all those
Yanks, ...

We should treat this change as an opportunity to regroup and look to
the future. If half of what you say about OpenVMS is true, then why
are so many of you so negative and sitting on your behinds instead of
getting together?

The Open Source movement is an example which we should attempt to
follow: have an idea, share it, build it, support it, have another
idea, ...

For those that feel the need to bash India and other things foreign,
perhaps they might like to think about how long their respective
countries have been considered "civilized" compared to India or China
for that matter? And how many of the indigenous population were
slaughtered by those arriving in the country who considered their way
was better?

See you in the bright, new future!

JF Mezei

May 7, 2009, 5:03:42 AM5/7/09
ja wrote:

> For those that feel the need to bash India and other things foreign,

This isn't about bashing India. It is about dumping highly experienced
people who have built a product and have industry leading skills and
know how to make quality software in exchange for unknown quality and
quantity folks who may or may not have any experience with VMS. In the
software industry, talent is an asset, not a liability. And HP is
dumping a highly valuable asset in exchange for hiring what is
essentially commodity humans.

As a country, India has done the right thing by investing in education
and now have very capable people. However, in most outsourcing schemes,
the original company does this to lower costs and gives the outsourcing
company defined work guidelines and phone answering scripts and the
people are not given the latitude to make decisions.

There are similar problems when you outsource locally too, with the
people brought in given very strict mandates that they cannot deviate from.

The problem with India is similar to Japan's image in the 1970s. They
had an image of building cheap plastic toys. It took them a couple of
decade to shed that image and obtain an image of high quality products.

Right now, India has an image of low quality low cost work. It isn't
because of the people, it is because what their clients tell them what
to do.

IanMiller

May 7, 2009, 5:42:13 AM5/7/09

Note that a lot of software work has been done in India and other
countries for years - this is true for most operating systems you know
of.
Do you really think MS Windows is developed in Redmond?

R.A.Omond

May 7, 2009, 6:09:07 AM5/7/09
Ed Wilts wrote:
> On May 6, 2:30 pm, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spam...@vaxination.ca> wrote:
>
>> P.S. If you plan on attending the HP Tech Forum, please stop by the
>> Business Critical Systems Booth and meet Sujatha.
>
> Enjoy it while you can. Sue's job has also gone to India so this
> might be the last time you hear from Sujatha.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I see no evidence
that Sue's job has been outsourced to India. Just because
her successor has an Indian-sounding name ...

Neil Rieck

May 7, 2009, 6:47:10 AM5/7/09
On May 6, 3:30 pm, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spam...@vaxination.ca> wrote:
> Here is the text of the announcement:
> ---------

Is this related in any way to "the big secret"?

NSR

Neil Rieck

May 7, 2009, 6:53:42 AM5/7/09
On May 6, 3:05 pm, DaveG <david.gudew...@abbott.com> wrote:
> Just got an email from Ann McQ.  Sue is leaving the VMS group after 15
> years.  Not sure if she's leaving HP or not.  A replacement has been
> named.

This is very sad news since she was one of the old-timers from DIGITAL

p.s. I have observed things at my employer's company which indicates
(to me) that HP is trying to get rid of everything related to DEC or
Compaq. (while the decision to move VAX-VMS applications to high
powered HP PCs are questionable, I do not understand why they did they
were talked into doing the same thing with not-so-old high-powered
Alphas)

NSR

David Biddulph

May 7, 2009, 7:37:58 AM5/7/09
"R.A.Omond" <Roy....@BlueBubble.UK.Com> wrote in message

From an earlier message in this thread, quoting the text of the announcement
from Ann McQuaid:
"Sujatha was recognized the "Young Achiever" By CII Confederation of

Indian Industries) in the Corporate IT category."

From http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/sujatha/ramani :
"Sujatha Ramani
Regional Sales Manager at Hewlett-Packard India
View full profile | Contact Sujatha Ramani
Currently: Regional Sales Manager at Hewlett-Packard India; Regional Sales
Manager at Hewlett Packard India Pvt Ltd
Past: Telecom Marketing Manager at Wipro Infotech Ltd
Education: ; Seethalakshmi Ramasamy College;
. Mysore Area, India
. Information Technology and Services
Sujatha Ramani
Regional Sales Manager "

From http://www.megaronsupport.com/delivering.htm:
"Sujatha Ramani
Hewlett Packard bangalore
April 2006"

From http://www.rskschool.com/cgi-bin/list.pl?year=1986:
"Sujatha ramani( r. sujatha) Working with Hewlett Packard in Bangalore. Have
a daughter, who is 2 1/2 yrs old. "

Some evidence, therefore, that Sujatha not only has an "Indian-sounding
name", but has, at least in the past, been working in India. We wish her
well in her new role.
--
David Biddulph

VAXman-

May 7, 2009, 7:47:12 AM5/7/09

They'll get more Bangalore for their buck, NOT!

johnwa...@yahoo.co.uk

May 7, 2009, 7:48:44 AM5/7/09

Do YOU really think that VMS customers are likely to be impressed by
someone asserting "development in India works for Microsoft"?

I've been around long enough to remember when Motorola cellphone
handset development started the offshoring trend. It started because
Motorola found that by developing in India they could get "zero
defects". My personal opinion reflecting on that particular miracle is
that one important reason it worked for Motorola is because they had
first choice of all the best people and got them at bargain prices.
Those coming later eg now can't get the best people at the same low
prices, and anyone who's used outsourced services (regardless of
sector or location) will be familiar with the results of using
outsourcing for cost reduction, whether it be for engineering, tech
support, or "simple" customer admin (as any BT UK customer who's dealt
with BT's Indian offshoots can tell you).

You also wrote: "The end of an era yes. The end of VMS - No. "

Actions speak louder than words. Unless there's a secret miracle
imminent (hello JF), HP's recent actions all point in one direction so
far, regardless of the merits (or location) of Sue's replacement.

And that leads neatly back to Sue. I never met Sue but all this
electrickery stuff means that sometimes you don't need to meet someone
to get to know them. Thank you Sue for everything you've done for your
community, enjoy pastures new (best of luck in these troubled times),
and in the meantime have a lovely party on May 28th!

mw4...@mucweb.de

May 7, 2009, 8:04:55 AM5/7/09
> The end of an era yes. The end of VMS - No.

The end of an era, that's obvious. For anything else, the future will
tell. It seems too early to say if this is already the end of VMS or
not.

>Instead of bemoaning the past, why not accept that change happens and start off by welcoming someone who has a very hard act to follow?

I disagree, such a change doesn't "happen". Such a change is based on
decisions made by people who are in power. They have reasons to do so
and their reasons are non-technical. There is a collateral damage: the
loss of knowledge, which can lead to the end of VMS. It looks like the
decsion makers were aware of this risk and took it into account.

> The Open Source movement is an example which we should attempt to follow: have an idea, share it, build it, support it, have another idea, ...

OK, so what does that mean for VMS? The Open Source movement is Unix
or Linux based. Even some Unix systems including Linux are open
source. There may be open sources which can be built on VMS, but in
general VMS doesn't support the expected infra structure, which -
again - is Unix based.

VMS is not open source and there is no Open Source movement based on
VMS. Check out the VMS freeware CD and you will see more binaries than
sources. Check out GNV and you will experience its shortcomings. And
as far as I know, recent projects within VMS to make it easier to use
open sources were canceled or discontinued, because of costs.

> For those that feel the need to bash India ...

Not me. The decision was not made in India. India takes whatever they
can to make money. So they are as "civilized" as other western
countries. However, these engineers did not grow up in the VMS
community, they were not selected because of being well known in the
VMS engineering or customer community. They were selected to do a job,
because of the costs.

It may work well for VMS, but it is at least as likely that customers
will turn away from VMS, maybe to the true open source movement.

And, with saving all the costs of the expensive NE engineers, did HP
use the money to hire more Indian engineers? Did HP re-invest that
money into VMS? Convince me, please.

Bill Gunshannon

May 7, 2009, 8:16:15 AM5/7/09
In article <000e6ed3$0$2599$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,

Yeah, Bangalore. :-) Sorry, the devil made me do it.

bill

bill...@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include <std.disclaimer.h>

Bob Koehler

May 7, 2009, 8:27:05 AM5/7/09
> On May 6, 3:30=A0pm, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spam...@vaxination.ca> wrote:
>> Here is the text of the announcement:
>> ---------
>>
>> From: "McQuaid, Ann" <ann.mcqu...@hpXX.com>
>> Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 18:54:02 +0000
>> Subject: OpenVMS Customer Program =A0Announcement
[...]
>> Sujatha brings rich experience in Sales, Marketing,
^^^^^^^^^

That could be a GOOD THING, if she's allowed to use it.

Bob Koehler

May 7, 2009, 8:31:54 AM5/7/09
In article <6ce941ff-d598-4daf...@t10g2000vbg.googlegroups.com>, johnwa...@yahoo.co.uk writes:

> Do YOU really think that VMS customers are likely to be impressed by
> someone asserting "development in India works for Microsoft"?

Development in Israel certainly worked for DEC. A significant
portion of the port to Alpha was done by a team in Israel.

Back during the Alpha port days, DEC claimed that VMS engineering was
done as an international effort. I don't think that has changed.

Bob Koehler

May 7, 2009, 8:33:01 AM5/7/09
In article <ec083053-09c2-4086...@z19g2000vbz.googlegroups.com>, mw4...@mucweb.de writes:

> OK, so what does that mean for VMS? The Open Source movement is Unix
> or Linux based.

Even FreeVMS is being developed by folks working on Linux, but when
it boot it's not Linux, nor UNIX.

Bill Gunshannon

May 7, 2009, 8:56:54 AM5/7/09
In article <okhqE3...@eisner.encompasserve.org>,

It's not VMS either.

And, as a matter of fact, having just looked at the latest release, it
looks a lot more like Linux then VMS under the hood.

Peter Weaver

May 7, 2009, 9:14:27 AM5/7/09
On May 7, 1:52 am, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spam...@vaxination.ca> wrote:
> Some questions remain unanwered:
>
> -What happens to the VMS ambassadors ? Do they still exist, or will they
> be watered down because there is nobody to coordinate communications
> with them ?

Good question. In the past few weeks I received emails from two VMS
Ambassadors announcing that were no longer working for HP Canada. I
wonder how many Ambassadors are left today.

etms...@yahoo.co.uk

May 7, 2009, 9:26:35 AM5/7/09

I know that there's at least one person on this thread that's recently
become a VMS Ambassador so I doubt that there's any interest in
disposing of the scheme just yet.

I remember Sue talking about Hoff leaving at a presentation she gave
in the UK. At that time, she commented something like, "we've lost
one of the bright lights in VMS Engineering but this means that some
of the lights that have been less bright up to now can have a chance
to shine a little brighter." (Please correct me if that summary of
your comments isn't right Sue).

What I see now is that HP are losing another of their bright lights
but that there's another light that may shine just as bright when
she's had a chance to settle into the role.

I wish Sue all of what she wishes for herself in her future
opportunities and, in fact, replied to Ann's message in that way. I
also hope that the lady that's succeeding Sue (note NOT replacing!)
also does very well. We could all do with a change once in a while
and if Sue gets what she wants from this one then the very best of
luck to her.

Best wishes Sue.

Steve

Peter Weaver

May 7, 2009, 9:27:23 AM5/7/09
On May 7, 7:48 am, johnwalla...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> And that leads neatly back to Sue. I never met Sue but all this
> electrickery stuff means that sometimes you don't need to meet someone
> to get to know them. Thank you Sue for everything you've done for your

If you never had the privilege of being in an audience and hear Sue
start her session with “I LOVE MY JOB!” then you have really missed
out. Watching Sue for an hour was enough to convince anyone that VMS
was still worth betting your business on.

I first saw her in Toronto at an Encompass (DECUS) seminar a few years
back. She handed out a few copies of a book about DEC. When I told her
that my co-worker and good friend Chris Moore really wanted to come
but he was in the hospital having surgery for cancer she was nice
enough to mail him a copy of the book.

JF Mezei

May 7, 2009, 9:28:26 AM5/7/09

> Instead of bemoaning the past, why not accept that change happens and start
> off by welcoming someone who has a very hard act to follow?

Sue did not become popular and so well loved by just getting a job. She
worked hard and reached out to people, not just those signing million
dollar cheques and built her following. In doing so, she built a lot of
loyalty to VMS which was strong enough to survive the 2 mergers because
people knew Sue and VMS engineers were staying and that it was just a
name change for the owner.

In the end though, HP is a vendor. HP is supposed to thank its
customers, not the other way around.

The new gal may have a totally different way of handling customer
relations or she may try to emulate what Sue did. We don't know. I is up
to her to reach out to the community and present herself and provide
some information on what (if any) we can expect from her.

For all we know, HP has instructed her to only spend time with customers
who spend more than 2.37 million per year. We just don't know.

Customers don't owe anything to HP. They havce a responsability to
provide IT service to their own company and choose the best solution for
their needs and strategies.

There have been many stories of failed or very costly~difficult
migrations from VMS. However, if the image given by HP is that VMS'
remaining active lifetime is limited, then this provides the incentive
to start to plan a migration and do it properly so that it does succeed.
This doesn't happen overnight. But if you foresee the enf of VMS in 2 5
or 10 years, you also start to think about your own migration strategy now.

So the current events may prompt a certain percentage of the remaining
installed base to start looking at migration options.

HP has been good in terms of ensuring existing customers did get support
and has, for 7 years, maintained that VMS would still be developped. And
they aren't going to pull the support as long as it makes them money.
But they can scale down development.

Remember the arguments concucted to justify breaking the plan or record
and not delivering a 8.* version of VAX-VMS. HP can concuct the same
statistics to justify cancelling Alpha-VMS development in the short
term, and later on do the same for IA64.

This is especially important if you believe that IA64 development will
be ended within the next 5 years because at that point, HP will be
looking for excuses to not port VMS beyond IA64. Stating that VMS
customers don't want new features is very easy.

And the sad reality is that as time goes by, an increasing percentage of
the remaining VMS installed base does have that policy. When you have a
VAX that is welded to some manufacturing plan machinery, that machine
stays that way with no upgrades because it does its job.

So, as those who do need new features move on to other OS, what remains
of the VMS installed based is more static and makes it easier for HP to
decide to stop development.

The ball is now in HP's court. It is possible that HP does welcome
speculation on the end of VMS because that will make it easier to start
converting VMS customers over to other HP products.

Or Perhaps HP just doesn't care or don't believe there will be any
speculation.

Or Perhaps the new gal will be just as active as Sue and work very hard
to build relationships and gain trust of customers. And perhaps the
indian division, wanting to prove that they are capable, will deliver
VMS versions faster and with more improvements. Perhaps not. We don't know.

But right now, it is as if we had been submitted through a new merger,
and we must wait to see what the new people will say and do.

Lack of information and action on HP's part will basically confirm HP's
intentions to slowly wind down VMS and try to retain customer by moving
them to HP-UX.

etms...@yahoo.co.uk

May 7, 2009, 9:46:35 AM5/7/09
On 7 May, 14:28, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spam...@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> Lack of information and action on HP's part will basically confirm HP's
> intentions to slowly wind down VMS and try to retain customer by moving
> them to HP-UX.

Would someone like to explain why HP should be giving more information
here??
Because of the high regard that Sue is held in, Ann McQuaid has been
kind enough to take Sue's list and let them know what Sue is moving
from her present role. I don't remember seeing that done for anybody
else in VMS Engineering. From the presentation that Ann McQuaid gave
in the UK to celebrate VMS's 30th Birthday, it looks to me like
they're still putting the money and resources into VMS it's just the
method of doing business at HP, like everywhere else, has developed.

Anonymous

May 7, 2009, 11:52:45 AM5/7/09
As JF has speculated, it is true that VMS Engineering is
moving to India. All of it. Well, not quite all. A dozen
or so will remain to interface between VMS Engineering of
India and HP US. The hardware that once resided in ZK03 is
already on the way to India, if it's not already there. Soon
the axe will swing. All of VMS Engineering except for those
dozen will be gone (well, I hear there are some openings in
Bangalore for them). Sue probably knows this, so she decided
to leave on her own terms, rather than HP's terms.

Of course this will fail. Not because Indians are dumb or
incapable or anything, but the act of eliminating and
replacing every VMS engineer will destroy the collective
knowledge and (remaining) corporate culture that helps define
VMS. The Indians will be unlikely to pick it up. Plus you
are replacing people often with decades of experience with
people with a bunch of training courses plus their college
work, which probably doesn't include VMS. It would fail just
as badly if HP moved VMS Engineering to Palo Alto, and didn't
allow existing VMS to transfer.

It's probably intended to fail. Probably because of NIH, but
who knows. Unfortunately, no company that would be a good
buyer of VMS really knows its value, or if they do, they know
HP has damaged it enough so that it's not worth buying. That
is, if HP would sell it.

We've already seen the roadmap scaled back. V8.4 delayed.
After V8.4, it will go into maintenance mode. There probably
won't be a V8.5. There definitely won't be a V8.6. Nor will
there be a V9.0. Sorry, JF, ZK03 didn't have a basement.

VMS, it's been nice to know you.

Michael Unger

May 7, 2009, 12:14:05 PM5/7/09
On 2009-05-07 17:52, "Anonymous" wrote:

| Comments: This message did not originate from the Sender address
| above. It was remailed automatically by anonymizing remailer
| software. Please report problems or inappropriate use to the remailer
| administrator at <ad...@nymu.eu>.

Doesn't seem to be very serious ...

> As JF has speculated, [...]

Michael

--
Real names enhance the probability of getting real answers.
My e-mail account at DECUS Munich is no longer valid.

Volker Halle

May 7, 2009, 1:31:06 PM5/7/09
Michael,

don't discredit the previous post solely due to it's anonymous nature.

There sometimes are tiny facts, which may support some of that
information:

Didn't you wonder about the rush of released OpenVMS patches in early
April ? Some of them with images from AUG-2008 ? The VAXMSCP01_073
patch for a problem, that had been solved in 2001 ! It really looked
like someone was cleaning up...

The week of 5-JUN-2009 is supposed to be the release date for the next
round of UPDATE patches. It's thursday now, will you believe those
patches to show up tomorrow ?

The future will tell about the truth in this...

Volker.

ja

May 7, 2009, 1:41:13 PM5/7/09
On May 7, 2:04 pm, mw40...@mucweb.de wrote:
> > The end of an era yes. The end of VMS - No.
>
> The end of an era, that's obvious. For anything else, the future will
> tell. It seems too early to say if this is already the end of VMS or
> not.
>
> >Instead of bemoaning the past, why not accept that change happens and start off by welcoming someone who has a very hard act to follow?
>
> I disagree, such a change doesn't "happen". Such a change is based on
> decisions made by people who are in power. They have reasons to do so
> and their reasons are non-technical. There is a collateral damage: the
> loss of knowledge, which can lead to the end of VMS. It looks like the
> decsion makers were aware of this risk and took it into account.

Ah yes, the "others" again, those horrible people in power. Lovely
attitude leading to the demise of all initiative and the belief that
we are free individuals in a democratic world. The current mess in
the world was also caused by those horrible people in power? Perhaps
not quite, as most of us enjoyed the fruits of economic growth while
it lasted.

> > The Open Source movement is an example which we should attempt to follow: have an idea, share it, build it, support it, have another idea, ...
>
> OK, so what does that mean for VMS? The Open Source movement is Unix
> or Linux based. Even some Unix systems including Linux are open
> source. There may be open sources which can be built on VMS, but in
> general VMS doesn't support the expected infra structure, which -
> again - is Unix based.

I was not aware the Open Source is UNIX or Linux based. I am sure that
is true for the Open Source versions of those products, but certainly
not for software which runs on them and others too.
Open Source also means that those that are willing may do something
about shortcomings they perceive, and OpenVMS had and has plenty of
them - one of the reasons for its demise which, after all, did start a
rather long time ago.
The hard part is that the initiative has to come from oneself and not
those people in power.

> VMS is not open source and there is no Open Source movement based on
> VMS.

So, how come nobody got up and did something about it?

>Check out the VMS freeware CD and you will see more binaries than
> sources. Check out GNV and you will experience its shortcomings. And
> as far as I know, recent projects within VMS to make it easier to use
> open sources were canceled or discontinued, because of costs.
>
> > For those that feel the need to bash India ...
>
> Not me. The decision was not made in India. India takes whatever they
> can to make money. So they are as "civilized" as other western
> countries. However, these engineers did not grow up in the VMS
> community, they were not selected because of being well known in the
> VMS engineering or customer community. They were selected to do a job,
> because of the costs.
>
> It may work well for VMS, but it is at least as likely that customers
> will turn away from VMS, maybe to the true open source movement.

Open Source is Open Source, there are not multiple flavors of false
and true here. What counts is the motivation, energy, creativity and
general innovation which is taking place. OpenVMS missed out on this a
long time ago, unfortunately.

> And, with saving all the costs of the expensive NE engineers, did HP
> use the money to hire more Indian engineers? Did HP re-invest that
> money into VMS? Convince me, please.

Why should HP invest in something today which very few people want,
bearing in mind that our so-called civilized society is more
interested in short-term profit than much else?
Please do not start the mantra about lack of marketing, lack of senior
management support, lack of ...
There is no convincing to be done if you are not prepared to accept
the fact that life moves on and OpenVMS is simply part of that -
evolutionary- process.

IanMiller

May 7, 2009, 2:05:58 PM5/7/09

Note there is some OpenSource activity on VMS - e.g. zeromq 0.6
http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=09/04/09/1259967
and the related work on amqp

Tore Sinding Bekkedal

May 7, 2009, 2:08:57 PM5/7/09
On May 7, 5:52 pm, Anonymous <nob...@nymu.eu> wrote:
> It's probably intended to fail. Probably because of NIH, but
> who knows. Unfortunately, no company that would be a good
> buyer of VMS really knows its value, or if they do, they know
> HP has damaged it enough so that it's not worth buying. That
> is, if HP would sell it.

I largely agree with your post.

IMNSHO, the only way to keep VMS alive in the long term is to open-
source it.

Allow people to write a port to IA32 hardware, with the original
designers controlling the design, so that curious, proto-geek
teenagers who don't have Itanium hardware lying around their room are
exposed to the system. Counting on people finding VAXstations in
dumpsters - which was my introduction to VMS - doesn't scale all that
well.

In the golden era of VMS, most people were first exposed to VMS
through timesharing systems. VMS has now due to its excellent design
eked out a commercial niche in ultra-high-availability systems and
legacy systems, but due to its nature as a back-room operating system
_nobody really knows about it_, much like z/OS. VMS now mainly runs
those types of services that you only notice when they fail.

It's not really a commercial problem for HP until customers start
dropping VMS because it's "weird and obscure", "only runs on crazy-
expensive hardware" and/or "we can't get anyone who knows how to work
it", which I suspect is happening and has been happening for a while.
Basically, people only run VMS when they positively have to because
other OSes simply can't do what they need.

If HP doesn't care about VMS's future, like it seems the situation is
at the moment, then they might as well open-source it before it dies
out completely.

What they gain in the short term by tying the software with a monopoly
in these niches to hardware with a high profit margin, they will
probably lose in the longer term when the marketplace brings forth a
less unacceptable solution, probably kludged together on top of Linux.

My two cents...
-Tore :)

Tore Sinding Bekkedal

May 7, 2009, 2:16:24 PM5/7/09
On May 7, 2:31 pm, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
Koehler) wrote:

> In article <6ce941ff-d598-4daf-81ac-8435a09e0...@t10g2000vbg.googlegroups.com>, johnwalla...@yahoo.co.uk writes:
>

> > Do YOU really think that VMS customers are likely to be impressed by
> > someone asserting "development in India works for Microsoft"?
>
>    Development in Israel certainly worked for DEC.  A significant
>    portion of the port to Alpha was done by a team in Israel.
>
>    Back during the Alpha port days, DEC claimed that VMS engineering was
>    done as an international effort.  I don't think that has changed.

But I'm guessing that that was because smart, knowledgeable people
existed in Israel and Sweden and the other places - not because
discount people existed there, which is what I think is happening
here. The motives are very different, as will probably the results be.

Besides, hardware and software are very different things. I think that
software development is dependant on esprit d'corps and culture to a
great degree whereas hardware work may be less so. In my humble
opinion, you can't learn some of the most important aspects of
software development in a university. Perhaps I'm biased. Some of the
very worst programmers I've seen have degrees from good universities,
and some of the very best have barely made it past grade school.

-Tore :)

Tore Sinding Bekkedal

May 7, 2009, 2:20:25 PM5/7/09