Alphabook photo

seasoned_geek

Feb 5, 2013, 7:06:34 PM2/5/13
Does anyone here happen to own a Tadpole Alpha Book 1? I would like
to obtain some digital photos with release so I can use an image of it
on a novel cover. Since the product is actually mentioned, I thought
it would be fitting to show it on the cover.

MG

Feb 6, 2013, 1:53:04 AM2/6/13
Not my own, but I have several pictures (but not too high resolution,
though). Reusing those for print, is going to be tricky I presume.

What kind of publication will it be? Would an illustration or artist
rendering suffice also?

- MG

Ian Miller

Feb 6, 2013, 5:18:31 AM2/6/13
I think these people http://www.tnmoc.org/ have one. Perhaps you can ask them.

Colin Butcher

Feb 6, 2013, 5:37:45 PM2/6/13
Ah. I loaned them mine. They didn't put it on display, despite wanting to
get their hands on it. It was working when I lent it to them, having spent
some time getting a fresh copy of VMS + DECwindows onto it. When I reclaimed
it from TNMoC last year, it was broken and would no longer power up. At the
moment I have no idea why it no longer works and have not had the time to
try and fix it.

Anyway, here's a picture of it working before it was loaned to TNMoC:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anachrocomputer/2637346966/

Since I still have it, albeit in pieces at the moment, I could shoot images
of it for you. Best to call me and discuss what sort of images would work
for your intended purpose.

Cheers, Colin.

MG

Feb 9, 2013, 11:34:46 AM2/9/13
On 6-feb-2013 23:37, Colin Butcher wrote:
> Ah. I loaned them mine. They didn't put it on display, despite wanting to
> get their hands on it. It was working when I lent it to them, having spent
> some time getting a fresh copy of VMS + DECwindows onto it. When I reclaimed
> it from TNMoC last year, it was broken and would no longer power up. At the
> moment I have no idea why it no longer works and have not had the time to
> try and fix it.

That is needless to say a huge shame! Did they ever say what they do
with it? (In other words, were they man enough?)

- MG

seasoned_geek

Feb 9, 2013, 3:39:54 PM2/9/13
May have to resort to drawing.

It will be on the cover for "John Smith - Last Known Survivor of the
Microsoft Wars"

seasoned_geek

Feb 9, 2013, 3:42:30 PM2/9/13
On Feb 6, 5:37 pm, "Colin Butcher"
Colin,

I tried to send you private email, but the email addy you have in
google bounces. Actually, I don't need pics of it running, just
assembled and open.

Probably 3 pics.
One from the front and off to the right a bit.
One from the front and dead center.
One from the front and off to the left a bit.

Of course will need email giving permission to use.

My addy must still be correct in Google as I have gotten a couple of
email messages from this post. Either that or people are going to
http://www.theminmimumyouneedtoknow.com and finding email address
there.

Thanks for the offer.

pos

Feb 10, 2013, 7:16:00 PM2/10/13
Tell me what pics you want and I can send some of mine
Send release form etc.

"seasoned_geek" <rol...@logikalsolutions.com> wrote in message

Phillip Helbig---undress to reply

Feb 11, 2013, 2:20:55 AM2/11/13
In article <AISdnVx4db3fpYXM...@bt.com>, "pos"
<prosu...@hotmail.com> writes:

> Tell me what pics you want and I can send some of mine

Lines like the above are usually in newsgroups other than comp.os.vms.

seasoned_geek

Feb 13, 2013, 10:57:26 PM2/13/13
Thanks to all who offered. I have obtained the pics from pos

Colin Butcher

Feb 20, 2013, 2:38:57 PM2/20/13

> That is needless to say a huge shame! Did they ever say what they do
> with it? (In other words, were they man enough?)

Regrettably their reply was all about avoiding any possible responsibility
and liability. Most unhelpful.

Hey ho. I'll try to figure it out and get it working again one day when I
have time.

Cheers, Colin.

MG

Feb 28, 2013, 3:05:02 PM2/28/13
On 20-feb-2013 20:38, Colin Butcher wrote:
> Regrettably their reply was all about avoiding any possible responsibility
> and liability. Most unhelpful.

But if they broke it, well, isn't it their fault then? Especially
physical damage. I know it'd be a bit hard to prove and to make a
convincing point, considering that they could (in their defense)
say it's 'old' (ironically, well, depending how low they might
sink of course).

Very foul, either way.

> Hey ho. I'll try to figure it out and get it working again one day when I
> have time.

I wish you the best of luck with it!

- MG