Mercurial on OpenVMS question

Jeffrey H. Coffield

Aug 1, 2008, 12:29:44 PM8/1/08
The situation:

All of this is on OpenVMS 8.3.

I have Mercurial and Python working from a command line prompt.

I got Mercurial to run (perhaps crawl is a better verb here) using
Apache but the performance is underwhelming.

I tried WASD but have had no luck in getting all the config files
straight and I really don't want to learn YAWS (yet another web server).

We have our own web server written in VMS Basic that seems to run about
as fast as WASD. It does some special things that we need for other reasons.

The question:

Can anyone direct me to a spec for what a web server on OpenVMS would
need to do to run the Mercurial hgwebdir.cgi?

It looks like there is some standard Python modules for CGI but I'm not
that proficient in Python.

Jeffrey Coffield
www.digitalsynergyinc.com

Jean-François Piéronne

Aug 1, 2008, 12:45:55 PM8/1/08
Jeffrey,

> The situation:
>
> All of this is on OpenVMS 8.3.
>
> I have Mercurial and Python working from a command line prompt.
>
> I got Mercurial to run (perhaps crawl is a better verb here) using
> Apache but the performance is underwhelming.

One of my friend from HP has ported mod_python and mod_wsgi on OpenVMS,
using one of this module give a performance boost.

> I tried WASD but have had no luck in getting all the config files
> straight and I really don't want to learn YAWS (yet another web server).

Here is the rules I used for http://hg.vmspython.dyndns.org/
pass /static/* /mercurial_root/mercurial/templates/static/*
pass /wasd/static/* /mercurial_root/mercurial/templates/static/*
pass /gnupatch/static/* /mercurial_root/mercurial/templates/static/*
pass /gnudiffutils/static/* /mercurial_root/mercurial/templates/static/*
pass /vmspython/static/* /mercurial_root/mercurial/templates/static/*
pass /vmstools/static/* /mercurial_root/mercurial/templates/static/*
pass /test/static/* /mercurial_root/mercurial/templates/static/*
pass /vmsflex/static/* /mercurial_root/mercurial/templates/static/*
script+ * /disk$user1/hgsrv_user/hgcgiplus* \
map=once ods=5 script=syntax=unix script=query=none \
script=as=hgusr throttle=1,,,30 \
script=param=PYRTE=/WSGI=BUFFER

> We have our own web server written in VMS Basic that seems to run about
> as fast as WASD. It does some special things that we need for other
> reasons.
>
> The question:
>
> Can anyone direct me to a spec for what a web server on OpenVMS would
> need to do to run the Mercurial hgwebdir.cgi?

Mercurial can run as a standalone Web server
$ hg help serve
will give you more information.

> It looks like there is some standard Python modules for CGI but I'm not
> that proficient in Python.
>
> Jeffrey Coffield
> www.digitalsynergyinc.com

JFP