Netperf/IPerf for VMS on IA64

Rich Jordan

Jan 23, 2023, 6:04:02 PM1/23/23
I see some references to Netperf on VMS and it was even reportedly present in older freeware disks (which I'm looking for here). Anyone got a built, or at least compiled (since no hobbyist = no compilers other than BASIC here) of IPerf3 or older IPerf, or even the older Netperf package for VMS on IA64?

My freeware CDs are all at work, and the test alpha they're loaded on is down after a weekend powerfail (and I'm offsite for a few days). Not finding it in the online freeware sites so far.

Thanks

Hans Bachner

Jan 24, 2023, 4:32:15 AM1/24/23
Rich Jordan schrieb am 24.01.2023 um 00:04:
> I see some references to Netperf on VMS and it was even reportedly present in older freeware disks (which I'm looking for here). [...]

You can find the freeware CDs on

https://www.digiater.nl/openvms/freeware/

The V6 freeware CD contains a netperf package - I did not look closer at
the details.

Hope this helps,
Hans.

Rich Jordan

Jan 24, 2023, 11:48:14 AM1/24/23
Thanks! I missed that on the phone searches (all I had handy). Unfortunately there's no I64 support there, and I can't recompile it any longer.

Any useful recommendations for similar programs that can be used for bandwidth testing between two systems on two separate TCPIP networks? We are getting periodic slowdowns in user experience on an RX2800 system that so far monitors, T4, and testing has shown no local problems on so we want to test the network. There are no errors being logged on the VMS box against the network interfaces; we are waiting on a response from the site's network MSP on the upstream switch's view of the link.

Right now I have it pinging another system across the same route as the users, and the other system pinging back (10 pings, 1024 bytes every 20 seconds) to log latency and compare to times when the user's say things got slow. So far no packet loss at least but latency is variable enough that I wonder if there's a bottleneck in there somewhere.

Thanks

Ian Miller

Jan 24, 2023, 1:01:25 PM1/24/23
high Jitter can mess with protocols that assume low jitter.

Complain at your network people, they will deny everything but sometimes they will fix it

Rich Jordan

Jan 24, 2023, 2:11:48 PM1/24/23
On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 12:01:25 PM UTC-6, Ian Miller wrote:

> high Jitter can mess with protocols that assume low jitter.
>
> Complain at your network people, they will deny everything but sometimes they will fix it

Already have asked them to check the upstream devices.

My connection to the site is via VPN so I'm used to seeing occasional pauses. The onsite ping logs have so far not shown any latency issues but ping is not very detailed or granular.

Leaving a monitor running until EOD then comparing to their most recent complaint timestamps.