I64 layered products

Dan Holm

Mar 5, 2008, 6:57:05 PM3/5/08
I am a hobbyist with a zx6000 newly acquired from eBay, with a fresh
installation of I640831H1 performed over the network. I'd like to
install the C and CXX compilers, but it appears those are not
conveniently located on the Compaq FTP server like the AXP compilers
were.

What are my likely options for obtaining I64 compilers? Are the I64
layered products available in the same place as the I640831H1.BCK-GZ
saveset, for those lucky enough to know the volume name of the
layered products disk? If not, if I were to provide SCP access,
would someone be able to share a couple kits?

On a separate note, however, the installation using the Infoserver
server on an Alpha to the I64 was totally painless. At least, once
I figured out why the BOOTP server on the Alpha wasn't responding to
the PXE boot requests; if the filename specified in the host
database for the I64's MAC address doesn't exist (I typo'd the
filename), the server will silently ignore the boot requests from
that MAC address. Even if you enable debugging on the BOOTP server,
all you'll see is that it received a request; it will not tell you
why it's being ignored.

--
Dan

vms^holmosapien#com | sed -e 's/\^/@/g' -e 's/#/./g'

Jur van der Burg

Mar 6, 2008, 2:07:55 AM3/6/08
Become a dspp member, it's free. Then you can download the compilers from HP.

http://www.hp.com/dspp

Jur.

IanMiller

Mar 6, 2008, 4:47:07 AM3/6/08
There is a VMS Alpha 8.3 kit for the hobbyist with an alpha but not
(yet) one for those lucky few with an itanium.

I guess you will need to borrow some media from somewhere. Itanium VMS
hobbyists are few and those with no access to Itanium VMS media at
work even rarer.

Perhaps if you give a hint of where you are then someone local may be
able to assist.

If you can join the DSPP then you will be able to download much useful
software.

johnhre...@yahoo.com

Mar 6, 2008, 8:25:06 AM3/6/08
On Mar 6, 2:07 am, Jur van der Burg <"lddriver at digiater dot nl">
wrote:

> Become a dspp member, it's free. Then you can download the compilers from HP.
>
> http://www.hp.com/dspp
>
> Jur.

In poking around the DSPP site it looks to me like you have to be a
corporate member to download any of the compilers. All of the topics
I found (ACMS, Datatrieve, DECforms, DECset, GKS, compilers) all say
free download for partners. when I go to their pages it says I must
be a Company Member

So far the only stuff I can download seems to be some open source
items (Samba/CIFS and Mosaic) I can get even if I'm not a DSPP member.

Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong spot? I log into the DSPP page and
choose "Software downloads" from the menu on the left side of the
page. Then I chose "Operating Systems: OpenVMS" in the "Product
category" section of the "Tools, Products and Technology" group..
This takes me to a page which lists the applications I mentioned
above. When I go to their pages it says I must be a Company Member.

John H. Reinhardt

Dan Holm

Mar 6, 2008, 2:10:57 PM3/6/08
> In poking around the DSPP site it looks to me like you have to be a
> corporate member to download any of the compilers. All of the topics
> I found (ACMS, Datatrieve, DECforms, DECset, GKS, compilers) all say
> free download for partners. when I go to their pages it says I must
> be a Company Member

That seems to be the case. I cannot access any of the interesting
downloads until I associate my account with a company account.

Getting a company account is still free, but there are more
requirements and an approval process that takes who-knows-how-long.
I filled out the application, and we'll see what happens.

--
Dan

johnhre...@yahoo.com

Mar 6, 2008, 3:47:37 PM3/6/08

It's the requirement of having a product that stops me. I've worked
with OpenVMS since 1981, but currently I'm just a hobbyist so I'm not
sure how to satisfy that.

John H. Reinhardt

JF Mezei

Mar 6, 2008, 3:57:11 PM3/6/08
johnhre...@yahoo.com wrote:

> It's the requirement of having a product that stops me. I've worked
> with OpenVMS since 1981, but currently I'm just a hobbyist so I'm not
> sure how to satisfy that.

Best bet is to find a friendly "DECUS" member who can lend you the IA64
DVDs (are they still CD ?).

Or if you have specific products in mind, some friendly DECUS member
would offer to give you access to them.

Richard B. Gilbert

Mar 6, 2008, 3:59:01 PM3/6/08

In all these years, have you written NOTHING that would be of any use to
anyone else? If not, what the hell HAVE you been doing? If so, you
have a product even if you haven't marketed it yet.

If you have written such a thing, consider selling it for a modest
charge. Presto!!! You are a business.

Remember, you can sell shit! Just dry it, put it a fifty pound bag and
call it fertilizer!! Someone will buy it if the price is right.

Steven M. Schweda

Mar 6, 2008, 4:02:21 PM3/6/08
From: "johnhre...@yahoo.com" <johnhre...@yahoo.com>

> It's the requirement of having a product that stops me. I've worked
> with OpenVMS since 1981, but currently I'm just a hobbyist so I'm not
> sure how to satisfy that.

Same here. There seems to be nothing to accomodate a non-commercial
software developer. (At least nothing formal. The _informal_ support
system seems to work pretty well, but it would be nice not to have to
annoy people with repeated out-of-band requests for this or that kit.
It also waste a fair amount of time, all around.)

Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

Steven M. Schweda

Mar 6, 2008, 4:08:44 PM3/6/08
From: "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilb...@comcast.net>

> In all these years, have you written NOTHING that would be of any use to
> anyone else? If not, what the hell HAVE you been doing? If so, you
> have a product even if you haven't marketed it yet.

"utility", "value", and "price" are not synonyms.

> If you have written such a thing, consider selling it for a modest
> charge. Presto!!! You are a business.

<Foolish Person>, many open-source products, which is what I tend to
develop, have licenses which make selling the stuff problematic. If,
however, _you_ would like to start paying for, say, Info-ZIP products or
wget, please let me know.

Richard B. Gilbert

Mar 6, 2008, 4:30:55 PM3/6/08
Steven M. Schweda wrote:
> From: "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilb...@comcast.net>
>
>>In all these years, have you written NOTHING that would be of any use to
>>anyone else? If not, what the hell HAVE you been doing? If so, you
>>have a product even if you haven't marketed it yet.
>

> "utility", "value", and "price" are not synonyms.
>

>>If you have written such a thing, consider selling it for a modest
>>charge. Presto!!! You are a business.
>

> <Foolish Person>, many open-source products, which is what I tend to
> develop, have licenses which make selling the stuff problematic. If,
> however, _you_ would like to start paying for, say, Info-ZIP products or
> wget, please let me know.

If YOU wrote it, it's yours to keep, sell, or wipe your butt with. If
somebody else wrote it and released it under the "Gnu License" or
something similar, it's not yours to sell even if you can give away
copies or charge a trivial amount for media, copying, postage, etc.

So, again, if you have written something sufficiently useful to your
fellow men that they would pay you $25 per copy, you have a product and
can be a business even if you'll never get rich that way. If you prefer
to give the stuff away, you'll just have to buy your computers at retail
just like the rest of us.

JF Mezei

Mar 6, 2008, 4:33:37 PM3/6/08
Steven M. Schweda wrote:

> <Foolish Person>, many open-source products, which is what I tend to
> develop, have licenses which make selling the stuff problematic. If,
> however, _you_ would like to start paying for, say, Info-ZIP products or
> wget, please let me know.

Since the downsizing of VMS engineering, there have been more and more
"critical" products that have gone to volunteer hands. While ZIP has
always been a volunteerer-provided critical part of VMS everyone needs,
you now have products such as DFU and the LDDriver that are in
volunteer's hands. There are many more out there that are essentially
pretty essential to running VMS in a modern world.

Miss Management at VMS could Shirley find some ways to accomodate those
key "unofficial" developpers easily even if they do not fit the mould
set out by the DSPP programme.

I terms of helping IA64 hobbyists, one would need to chat with the
illustrious Mr Cathey (thank you very much for running the hobbyists
programme) to see if there have been discussions on allowing IA64 kits
to be sold in the same way as VAX and Alpha software.

Craig A. Berry

Mar 6, 2008, 8:13:08 PM3/6/08
In article <08030615022...@antinode.org>,

s...@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:

> From: "johnhre...@yahoo.com" <johnhre...@yahoo.com>
>
> > It's the requirement of having a product that stops me. I've worked
> > with OpenVMS since 1981, but currently I'm just a hobbyist so I'm not
> > sure how to satisfy that.
>
> Same here. There seems to be nothing to accomodate a non-commercial
> software developer. (At least nothing formal. The _informal_ support
> system seems to work pretty well, but it would be nice not to have to
> annoy people with repeated out-of-band requests for this or that kit.
> It also waste a fair amount of time, all around.)

Me three. If the hobbyist CDs were always up-to-date (and I understand
that volunteers don't always have time to do everything they'd like to
do) it would be one thing, but they usually aren't. So the best thing
would be to bring DSPP into the 21st century and make it
open-source-aware.