Open Source on OpenVMS Conference Call - Thursday 19 May 2022 at 08:00 EDT

pede...@ccsscorp.com

May 17, 2022, 7:10:05 PM5/17/22
to comp.os.vms to email gateway
Open Source on OpenVMS Needs HELP
I will be quite honest, neither John nor I have had much energy to apply to
the effort we are currently involved with of the past few months. The
development of the gnuLIB Assist library which we believe will make porting
open source packages to OpenVMS easier. Think of is sort of as a Boost to
the technology and framework John introduced a decade ago of using logical
name search lists to facilitate having a reference copy of a package which
is then overlayed by an "stable" version of the package for OpenVMS and then
the development version of the package. That coupled with various helper
files recognized by the wrappers that make OpenVMS native code development
tools look like open source tools made porting of open source packages more
effective.
But we need help.
We need people willing to step forward and do testing.
We need people willing to review code and help make sure it is doing the
right thing and be efficient.
We need people willing to provide time for some coding or documentation.
We have had some people show interest in packaging but we still do not have
a standard package. Although PCSI kits have become a standard and since that
is the default in OpenVMS now for kits I guess we will stick with it. We had
at one point considered how to package a development environment, but that
sort of went by the wayside due to several issues.
We need people with energy and ideas to help us get back on track and get
energized and excited again about this process and this effort.
The conference calls use JITSI, which does all of the processing through the
web browser. We have tested with Firefox, Edge, and Chrome on Windows and
Chrome/Chromium on Linux. We do not plan on using video... Although we may
share items from desktops... Thanks to Jouk Jansen for providing this
facility to our community!
To attend the conference call:
<https://gavotte.nano.tudelft.nl:8443/OpenVMS>
https://gavotte.nano.tudelft.nl:8443/OpenVMS
We hope to see you and others on the calls in the future.
Thank you.
Best,
Bill.

Bill Pedersen