Monthly Update

Jan-Erik Söderholm

Feb 21, 2023, 8:25:16 AM2/21/23
Hi.

Just got a mail named "VMS Software Monthly Product Updates".

Looks as a nice initiative. This mails subjects are:

"OpenVMS TCPIP 6.0-19D for Integrity"
"Native C Compiler for x86 Field Test"
"OpenSSH V8.9-1C for Integrity and x86"
"OpenJDK 8 (8u342) for Integrity"

With links to the relevant VSi pages.

Arne Vajhøj

Feb 21, 2023, 2:29:29 PM2/21/23
On 2/21/2023 8:25 AM, Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
> Just got a mail named "VMS Software Monthly Product Updates".
>
> Looks as a nice initiative.

Yes.

> This mails subjects are:
>
> "OpenVMS TCPIP 6.0-19D for Integrity"

I believe this is a major update that moves VMS forward.

> "Native C Compiler for x86 Field Test"

Which is great.

(and from elsewhere we know that the C++ compiler is also
being used out in the wild)

> "OpenSSH V8.9-1C for Integrity and x86"
> "OpenJDK 8 (8u342) for Integrity"

Those should just be regular upgrades.

The good thing is not the upgrade themselves, but the
fact that VSI seems to be committed to providing
upgrades regularly.

Arne

Craig A. Berry

Feb 21, 2023, 6:30:18 PM2/21/23
On 2/21/23 1:29 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 2/21/2023 8:25 AM, Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:

>> "OpenSSH V8.9-1C for Integrity and x86"
>> "OpenJDK 8 (8u342) for Integrity"
>
> Those should just be regular upgrades.

OpenJDK is a minor update. OpenSSH was previously available until it
wasn't until it became available again with the new version just now.
So it could be regarded as new. And it's a major paradigm shift that
replaces a proprietary SSH service whose algorithms were always
out-of-date and that used a quirky scp server protocol that didn't match
what most scp clients do. I'm looking forward to (at last) being able
to try this.

> The good thing is not the upgrade themselves, but the
> fact that VSI seems to be committed to providing
> upgrades regularly.

Maybe the good news is both the specifics updates/upgrades and the fact
that they roll out on a regular basis?

Arne Vajhøj

Feb 21, 2023, 6:41:57 PM2/21/23
On 2/21/2023 6:30 PM, Craig A. Berry wrote:
> On 2/21/23 1:29 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> On 2/21/2023 8:25 AM, Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
>
>>> "OpenSSH V8.9-1C for Integrity and x86"
>>> "OpenJDK 8 (8u342) for Integrity"
>>
>> Those should just be regular upgrades.
>
> OpenJDK is a minor update.  OpenSSH was previously available until it
> wasn't until it became available again with the new version just now.
> So it could be regarded as new.

OK.

I know I have seen it before.

(I just checked - I seem to have a version 8.8 downloaded April 2022)

So I assumed that it was just a small update.

But you say that it is really the first version. Sort of like 9.2 is
first real x86-64 version.

>   And it's a major paradigm shift that
> replaces a proprietary SSH service whose algorithms were always
> out-of-date and that used a quirky scp server protocol that didn't match
> what most scp clients do.  I'm looking forward to (at last) being able
> to try this.

Yes.

All part of the very much needed modernization.

Arne