mntverifytimeout

Horst Hinz

Jan 12, 2001, 11:42:42 AM1/12/01
I am VERY new to VMS, we just lost our VMS admin so I'm struggling here
quite a bit. One of my disks has a mntverifytimeout as the status,
obviously the disk is unavailable to me right now. What does this error
mean, and do I have to reset my VMS system to fix the problem (assuming it's
not hardware related)?

Thanks,

Horst

Mark D. Jilson

Jan 12, 2001, 12:19:07 PM1/12/01
It means that VMS lost connection to the disk for longer than MVTIMEOUT
amount of time. Do a DISMOUNT/ABORT $n$ddcu: and then try to mount it
again making sure you use the /NOASSIST qualifier on the mount.

--
Jilly - Working from Home in the Chemung River Valley - Lockwood, NY
- ji...@clarityconnect.com - Brett Bodine fan

John E. Malmberg

Jan 12, 2001, 3:17:16 PM1/12/01
In article <ZrG76.133705$47.20...@news.bc.tac.net>,

The error means that VMS can not reach the disk right now.

If the disk has indicator lights and or controls, I would
check them to see if there is either a fault condition, or
that somehow the disk has been accidentally switched off line.

It is likely to be a hardware problem with the drive, or
the wrong setting of the disk control panel. Reseting the
VMS system will probably not fix this condition.

Another poster has explained how to clear the mount
condition.

-John
wb8...@qsl.network
Representing only my own opinions.

Gaston Gloesener

Jan 12, 2001, 6:05:47 PM1/12/01
Some more clarification about "MountVerifyTimout". This means that with
default settings your disk has not been reachable for at least one hour.

In fact when ever OpenVMS fails to access a disk drive it goes into a
mount verfification process trying to recover the disk. This is where most
OSs crash. The sSYSGEN parameter MVTIMEOUT tells OpenVMS
how long to try to connect to the disk (Default: 60 Minutes). After this
time the disk goes into MountVerifyTimout and needs to be remounted
as described in another post. After this timout OpenVMS does not try to
reconnect to the disk anymore and all I/Os to that disk are aborted.

To be complete, there are a few situations in which the mount verification
is aborted earlier than the timeout value, as for shadow set memebers where
SHADOW_MBR_TMO counts and for errors where mount verification
cannot help for sure (data lost).

Gaston

Robert Deininger

Jan 13, 2001, 1:39:26 AM1/13/01
In article <kgtLgo...@eisner.decus.org>, malm...@eisner.decus.org (John E. Malmberg) wrote:

> In article <ZrG76.133705$47.20...@news.bc.tac.net>,
> "Horst Hinz" <hh...@bcmhs.bc.ca> writes:
> > I am VERY new to VMS, we just lost our VMS admin so I'm
> > struggling here quite a bit. One of my disks has a
> > mntverifytimeout as the status, obviously the disk is
> > unavailable to me right now. What does this error
> > mean, and do I have to reset my VMS system to fix the
> > problem (assuming it's not hardware related)?
>
> The error means that VMS can not reach the disk right now.
>
> If the disk has indicator lights and or controls, I would
> check them to see if there is either a fault condition, or
> that somehow the disk has been accidentally switched off line.
>
> It is likely to be a hardware problem with the drive, or
> the wrong setting of the disk control panel. Reseting the
> VMS system will probably not fix this condition.

In a VMSCluster, you will also get mntverifytimeout on other nodes if
the node that the disk is connected to leaves the cluster for an extended
period of time. If that is the case, getting the missing node back will
allow you to remount the disk.

Post the relevant output from SHOW DEVICE/FULL

--
Robert Deininger
rdein...@mindspring.com