Telnet to OpenVMS - unknown terminal type

Jaan Kronberg

Mar 6, 2002, 2:03:20 AM3/6/02
Hi there,

I'm trying to write small program (Perl or VB, depending on system - Linux
or Windows), that will log into OpenVMS and perform some tasks there. And
everything works ok, except - after login vms tries to set terminal type or
smth and that takes a lot of time... I tried to set term/dev=vt100[vt200
etc], but it can be done only after login, so, it doesn't help much..

Any suggestions? System is Alpha OpenVMS 7-2.1..

%SET-W-NOTSET, error modifying TNA9933:
-SET-I-UNKTERM, unknown terminal type
%SET-W-NOTSET, error modifying TNA9933:
-SET-I-UNKTERM, unknown terminal type

thx,
jk

JF Mezei

Mar 6, 2002, 2:55:46 AM3/6/02
Jaan Kronberg wrote:
> or Windows), that will log into OpenVMS and perform some tasks there. And
> everything works ok, except - after login vms tries to set terminal type or
> smth and that takes a lot of time...

Haven't checked this with 7.2 to be most efficient, however, i have a small
script on my PDA which does:

when receiving [c or [0c I respond with
<esc>[?63;1;2;6;7;8;9;11;14c

Now, newer version of VMS will then send some additional sequence to try to
get the page size. I'll have to redo some tests with a REAL VT220 to see
exactly what escape sequences are used for the SET TERM/INQUIRE sequence on
VMS 7.2

The other possibility is for you to send a <CTRL-Z> upon reception of the
first escape sequence.

(eg: system sends <esc>[c or <esc>[0c )

The thing is that INQUIRE will do multiple inquiries to see if it gets
anything back, until it gets to one where the terminal responds. (does it
still go down to VT52 ?)

Jaan Kronberg

Mar 6, 2002, 5:41:02 AM3/6/02
Thx :)

Could you give me some url's, where I could get more information about those
reponses etc (if there are any)? I mean, responses that will make vms
understand, which terminal is use and so on..
thx,
jk

p.s. I looked to dump_log, there really are those [c and [0c's sent by host
:)) So, you were right about locating problem roots...

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei...@videotron.ca> wrote in message

Carl Perkins

Mar 6, 2002, 6:47:00 AM3/6/02
"Jaan Kronberg" <kr...@hot.ee> writes...

}Thx :)
}
}Could you give me some url's, where I could get more information about those
}reponses etc (if there are any)? I mean, responses that will make vms
}understand, which terminal is use and so on..
}thx,
}jk
}
}p.s. I looked to dump_log, there really are those [c and [0c's sent by host
}:)) So, you were right about locating problem roots...

The question is how you are connecting?

If you are actually doing this via the regular telnet program on
your linux system, rather than rolling your own, there is probably
an environment variable you can set which will make it behave
itself if you set it to "vt100" instead of "xterm" (or whatever
the default is). I don't remember what the environment variable
is, but it has been mentioned here before.

--- Carl

Michael Austin

Mar 6, 2002, 9:45:33 AM3/6/02
if you are logging in as a particular user defined for the sole purpose
of these functions then in your sylogin.com or login.com try:

$if f$getjpi("","USERNAME") .eqs. "<username>" then goto skip
$set term/inq
$skip:
.
.
.

or you could just use rsh.

--
Regards,

Michael Austin Registered Linux User #261163
First DBA Source, Inc. http://www.firstdbasource.com
Sr. Consultant
704-947-1089 (Office)
704-236-4377 (Mobile)

William...@acml.com

Mar 6, 2002, 11:56:24 AM3/6/02

if it happens "before login" as you say - it's in the system wide
sylogin.com - talk to the sysadmin.

Jaan Kronberg
<kr...@hot.ee> To: Info...@Mvb.Saic.Com
cc:
03/06/2002 02:03 Subject: Telnet to OpenVMS - unknown terminal type
AM
Please respond
to Jaan Kronberg
<kr...@hot.ee>

Hi there,

I'm trying to write small program (Perl or VB, depending on
system - Linux
or Windows), that will log into OpenVMS and perform some tasks
there. And
everything works ok, except - after login vms tries to set
terminal type or
smth and that takes a lot of time... I tried to set
term/dev=vt100[vt200
etc], but it can be done only after login, so, it doesn't help
much..

Any suggestions? System is Alpha OpenVMS 7-2.1..

%SET-W-NOTSET, error modifying TNA9933:
-SET-I-UNKTERM, unknown terminal type
%SET-W-NOTSET, error modifying TNA9933:
-SET-I-UNKTERM, unknown terminal type

thx,
jk

The information contained in this transmission may contain
privileged and confidential information and is intended only for
the use of the person(s) name above. If you are not the intended
recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering
this message to the intended recipient, any review,
dissemination, distribution or duplication of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy
all copies of the original message.

Dirk Munk

Mar 6, 2002, 5:13:00 PM3/6/02
I think you should check sylogin.com or login.com. The login process
itself does not check for the terminal type. There should be a set
term/inq command in syslogin.com or login.com (or whatever login
commandfile you use).

JF Mezei

Mar 6, 2002, 6:14:25 PM3/6/02
Ok, I traced a good old VT220 on VMS 7.2, and here is the interaction: (L
denotes stuff sent by VMS, R is for stuff sent by terminal)

L:48:10:26- 3 *[c who are you ? (DA)
156
BB3

R:48:10:61- 18 *[?62;1;2;6;7;8;9c
153333333333333336
BBF62B1B2B6B7B8B93

62=level 3 (says VT300, but this is the response sent by a real VT220).
1 = 132 columns capable
2 = printer port
6 = selective erase
7 = soft character set
8 = user defined keys
9 = NRC sets

possible responses:
<esc> [ ? 1 ; 2 c VT100 terminal
<esc> [ ? 1 ; 0 c VT101
<esc> [ ? 6 c VT102 terminal
<esc> [ ? 62 ; 1 ; 2 ; 6 ; 7 ; 8 ; 9 ; 11 ; 14 c VT220

L:48:11:08- 18 *7*[255;255H*[6n*8
131533333334153613
B7BB255B2558BB6EB8

<esc>7 is save cursor position/state
<esc>[255,255H means put cursor at line 255 column 255.
<esc>[6n means ask current cursor position
<esc>* means restore to saved cursor position

(in essence: put your cursor that the bottom most and right most position and
tell me where it is, then go back to where you were

R:48:11:53- 8 *[24;80R
15333335
BB24B802

terminal responds with I am at line 24, column 80, essentially telling the
host its screen size.

For more information, you can go to http://www.vt100.org

Alan Winston - SSRL Admin Cmptg Mgr

Mar 6, 2002, 6:25:33 PM3/6/02
[complete snippage - somebody is writing code in PERL on Linux and in VB on
Windows to telnet into a VMS system and it gets hung up on SET TERM/INQ]

Incidentally, if you just want to get work done, you might be a lot better off
using Kermit (built in telnet client, scripting language, terminal emulation,
and the ability to use the _same scripts_ on Linux and Windows) than
reinventing the wheel.

If you're just coding for fun or self-education, then carry on with Perl and
VB.

kermit.columbia.edu for info.

-- Alan

Alan Winston --- WIN...@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
Disclaimer: I speak only for myself, not SLAC or SSRL Phone: 650/926-3056
Physical mail to: SSRL -- SLAC BIN 69, PO BOX 4349, STANFORD, CA 94309-0210

Dietmar Hermanns

Mar 7, 2002, 3:35:00 PM3/7/02

there is a vms-xterm-script for linux, I don't know were it is?