WASD on x86

Jan-Erik Söderholm

Sep 18, 2020, 7:03:08 PM9/18/20

IanD

Sep 18, 2020, 8:30:16 PM9/18/20
On Saturday, September 19, 2020 at 9:03:08 AM UTC+10, Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
> https://wasd.vsm.com.au/other/WASD%20x86-64%2019-SEP-2020.html

Mark's kicking early goal yet again!!!!!

*Websockets comes to mind too :-)

VSI, how about including WASD with OpenVMS? Make it be how one references documentation since it can get at the OpenVMS help libraries

Jan-Erik Söderholm

Sep 22, 2020, 2:27:14 AM9/22/20
http://x86v1.vsm.com.au:7080/

There have been a few post from Mark Daniel on the WASD mailing
list and I thought this could be of general interest to c.o.v.

From Marks post on the WASD mailing list:

"Late last week the core server code was brought over to a VMS V9.0-D EAK
system supported by Jeremy Begg of VMS Software Systems. It built with a
minimum of fuss and invested time, and was up running in demonstration mode.

A full WASD source kit (essentially v11.5.1) UNZIP and installation has now
been performed. Of course the object modules needed to be cross-compiled
on an Itanium, taken to the x86 system, and the @WASD_ROOT:[000000]INSTALL
performed as a link-only build. Voila!

As this is written it's pretty much an all-singing, all-dancing WASD server
(to further mix the metaphors).

You are welcome to have a look around.

https://x86v1.vsm.com.au:7443/
http://x86v1.vsm.com.au:7080/

Explanation: it seems a network stack bug has been encountered. When
attempting to bind to the privileged ports 80 and 443 an insufficient
privilege status is returned. A simple reproducer using BSD sockets and
bind() has the same issue. This has been reported to VSI.

Further temporal expenditure; perhaps 8 hours. Some of this is the
cross-compiling and moving objects onto the system. An x86-64 UNZIP built
by Jeremy (after me b&m about the lack) is a much appreciated tool. There
is probably an additional 8 hours that I'll quite happily attribute to my
own fumbles. All in all, WASD has progressed much further on the EAK that
I imagined it might. It seems WASD is all-but ported. A moderately large
and complex VMS application. Now just waiting for the lurking gremlins."

IanD

Sep 29, 2020, 7:08:37 AM9/29/20
On Tuesday, September 22, 2020 at 4:27:14 PM UTC+10, Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
> http://x86v1.vsm.com.au:7080/
>
> There have been a few post from Mark Daniel on the WASD mailing
> list and I thought this could be of general interest to c.o.v.

Thanks for the post and links

Tried it out, seems pretty snappy

Jan-Erik Söderholm

May 3, 2021, 2:56:17 AM5/3/21
https://wasd.vsm.com.au/wasd_root/src/httpd_1200b3/1200b3.html

"The third x86 WASD porting effort designated v12.0.0b3.
OpenVMS V9.0-H EAK (Apr 2021)
WASD server and ancillaries considered fully ported"