Israel-Hamas war live: Dozens killed in bombings across Gaza

1 view

messi leo

Dec 19, 2023, 10:14:21 AM12/19/23
At least 13 Palestinians have been killed and many others wounded in an Israeli air raid on the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza.
The UN Security Councilis set to vote on a halt in the fighting after it was delayed by a day amid ongoing negotiations to stave off another US veto.

LISTEN: Can the UN do anything to stop war?

Diplomats at the UN are reaching deep into their toolbox in an effort to broker a lasting ceasefire in Israel’s war on Gaza.

As they invoke various articles and resolutions, The Take asks whether any of them are capable of bringing an end to the war, and if not, what will that mean for the UN’s credibility going forward?

In this episode of The Take:

Hamas rejects talks over captives until ‘genocidal war’ ends
Basem Naem, a senior official from Hamas, has said in a statement that the group was open to any initiative to end the war.

“We affirm our position of categorically rejecting to hold any form of negotiations over prisoners exchange under the continuing Israeli genocidal war,” he said.

“We are, however, open to any initiative that contributes to ending the aggression on our people and opening the crossings to bring in aid and provide relief to the Palestinian people,” he added.

Israelis and Palestinians face ‘pain and mourning’ over Christmas: Pope
Pope Francis has called for prayers and “tangible aid” for the devastated Gaza Strip as the war rages on.

“For the inhabitants of the Holy Land, a Christmas of pain and mourning looms. We do not want to leave them alone. May we stand by them in prayer and tangible aid,” Francis wrote on X.

The pope has called several times for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and for the release of all captives taken by Hamas.

On Sunday, he suggested Israel was using “terrorism” tactics in the Palestinian enclave, deploring the killing by the Israeli military of two Christian women who had taken refuge in a Catholic church complex.

Israel’s Herzog signals readiness for second truce to free captives

Israeli President Isaac Herzog has said his country “is ready for another humanitarian pause and additional humanitarian aid in order to enable the release of hostages”.

Herzog, whose public role is largely ceremonial, made the remarks at a gathering of ambassadors, according to his office.

“And the responsibility lies fully with [Hamas leader Yahya] Sinwar and the leadership of Hamas,” he said.

More from Al-Haq Forensic Architecture report

The report says that in addition to destroying historical and cultural heritage, Israeli plans to pump seawater into tunnels under Gaza could render it uninhabitable.

“This alarming move, vehemently cautioned against by the Palestinian Water Authority and other environmental experts, poses an imminent threat to Gaza’s only functioning aquifer, which is already on the brink of collapse,” the group said.

“If implemented, this action could inflict irreversible environmental damage, leaving a lasting impact for generations to come and worsening the already described ‘uninhabitable’ situation in Gaza.”

Al-Haq’s Forensic Architecture Investigation Unit said that while the Israeli government has not publicly confirmed or acknowledged such a plan for the tunnels, US officials have independently confirmed to media outlets that Israel has begun implementation of the “flooding strategy”. An analysis of ground footage and satellite images by the unit has geolocated and confirmed the presence of water pump infrastructure installed since the start of Israel’s ground invasion of Ga

More from Al-Haq Forensic Architecture report
The report says that in addition to destroying historical and cultural heritage, Israeli plans to pump seawater into tunnels under Gaza could render it uninhabitable.

“This alarming move, vehemently cautioned against by the Palestinian Water Authority and other environmental experts, poses an imminent threat to Gaza’s only functioning aquifer, which is already on the brink of collapse,” the group said.

“If implemented, this action could inflict irreversible environmental damage, leaving a lasting impact for generations to come and worsening the already described ‘uninhabitable’ situation in Gaza.”

Al-Haq’s Forensic Architecture Investigation Unit said that while the Israeli government has not publicly confirmed or acknowledged such a plan for the tunnels, US officials have independently confirmed to media outlets that Israel has begun implementation of the “flooding strategy”. An analysis of ground footage and satellite images by the unit has geolocated and confirmed the presence of water pump infrastructure installed since the start of Israel’s ground invasion of Gaza.

Important Gaza archaeological site mostly destroyed: Research group

One of Gaza’s most important archaeological sites has been mostly destroyed in the Israeli invasion, says Forensic Architecture.

The site, near al-Shati refugee camp, consists of several excavations, which suggest extensive remains throughout the area.

The present destruction of the site by the Israeli army has

unfolded in three stages: air raids, surface-level demolition, and now the installation of water pumps ostensibly to flood underground tunnels, the group said.

In a report with the group’s findings, human and legal rights group Al Haq links Israel’s destruction of Palestinian cultural heritage to environmental damage caused by pumping seawater, providing further “evidence of Israeli officials and military’s genocidal intent”.

Houthis say talks ongoing to ease Red Sea tensions

A senior Houthi official has told Al Jazeera that “intense talks” are under way to contain tensions in the Red Sea.

On Saturday, a Houthi spokesman said the group has engaged in Oman-mediated talks with unnamed “international parties” over its operations in the Red Sea and Arabian Sea.

The official speaking to Al Jazeera called the launch of a US-led naval task force to protect maritime trade after Houthi attacks forced at least a dozen shipping lines to suspend operations “unnecessary”.

“We are trying help Palestinians,” the official said. “We will consider any military vessel that enters our territorial waters a legitimate target irrespective of its nationality.”

Unprecedented level of destruction’ in Gaza: UN
The UN agency that caters to the needs of Palestinian refugees says that more than 60 percent of the infrastructure in Gaza has been destroyed or damaged.

UNRWA also said that more than 90 percent of the population in Gaza have been displaced.

“This is a staggering and unprecedented level of destruction and forced displacement, taking place in front of our eyes,” it added.

Humanitarian situation in Gaza ‘untenable’: Red Cross chief

Mirjana Spoljaric, the president of the International Committee of the Red Cross, had told Al Jazeera she saw “a lack of everything” in Gaza during a recent trip to the bombarded territory.

“There is a lack of operational space for the humanitarian actors, but most importantly, there is an acute lack of safety and security for people anywhere in Gaza,” she said from Geneva. “There is some aid getting in. There are some trucks coming in but this is by far not enough given the suffering and the level of the needs of the people.”

Spoljaric said her organisation was focusing its operations on the hospitals, “on providing medical assistance as much as we can, including through medical teams, surgeons that are there operating around the clock”.

“What I saw in the hospital that I visited was a total exhaustion, a density because people are seeking refuge in these hospitals. But what I also saw is a lack of medication, a lack of electricity, a lack of water that is necessary for the hospitals to run,” she said. “But most importantly, decreasing surgical capability given the high number of casualties and wounded people.”

‘Doctors stepping over bodies of dead children to treat other children who will die anyway’

Doctors Without Borders (Medecins Sans Frontieres, or MSF) says that after two months of war, Palestinians in Gaza are now cornered in the south, where Israeli attacks on what was supposed to be a safe zone prove that nowhere is safe.

“At Nasser hospital [in Khan Younis, in southern Gaza], the emergency department is completely full and new patients are being treated on the floor,” the charity said in a statement.

“Doctors are stepping over bodies of dead children to treat other children who will die anyway,” said Chris Hook, MSF medical team leader in Gaza.

“The lucky few that survive have life-changing injuries. Many injured people suffer from extreme burns, major fractures that won’t heal properly and may go on to require amputations,” Hook said.

https://gamma.app/public/WATCH-Taylor-Swift-The-Eras-Tour-2023-Watch-FullMovie-Free-Online-3qinye8urnhi5mo
https://gamma.app/public/Taylor-Swift-The-Eras-Tour-2023FullMovie-FilmyZilla-Mp4movies-Dow-0lycw5ddxko54bz
https://gamma.app/public/WATCH-Taylor-Swift-The-Eras-Tour-2023-FULLMOVIE-FREE-ONLINE-wkyifkkfs3lhfad
https://gamma.app/public/WATCH-Taylor-Swift-The-Eras-Tour-2023-FullMovie-Online-Free-ON-ST-ltyt2takkaov313