SSH access to EISNER (DECUServe) has changed

Hunter Goatley

Aug 21, 2023, 6:18:45 AM8/21/23
The SSH access to EISNER, the DECUServe system, has changed. For
details, please see:

https://eisner.decus.org/online/ssh

For the past year or two, EISNER has also responded to TELNET
connections with a message that TELNET access is no longer supported.
We've also now disabled that message, so TELNET connections are no
longer answered at all.

--
Hunter
------

Hunter Goatley

Aug 21, 2023, 9:22:14 AM8/21/23
I have also created a more modern ecdsa host key for SSH on EISNER. The
old RSA host key is still there, but recent releases of Linux will
report that the host key has changed, and you can accept the new key or
continue to override that to use ssh-rsa, as shown on the web page:

https://eisner.decus.org/online/ssh

With the new ecdsa key, you are no longer required to specify
"-oHostKeyAlgorithm=+ssh-rsa" on Linux, etc.

To show you what to expect, here's what I saw when I connected from a
Linux box for the first time and did not specify the rsa key:

hunter@zaius:~$ ssh -p xxxxx goa...@eisner.decus.org
The authenticity of host
'[eisner.decus.org]:xxxxx([148.51.202.51]:xxxxx)' can't be established.
ECDSA key fingerprint is SHA256:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
This key is not known by any other names
Are you sure you want to continue connecting
(yes/no/[fingerprint])? yes
Warning: Permanently added '[eisner.decus.org]:xxxxx' (ECDSA) to
the list of known hosts.

ultr...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2023, 12:05:22 PM8/22/23
can you ask Process to port Purveyor to intel OpenVMS? VSI should assist as they really need to offer a webserver that isn't ported from unix
like tomcat. Purveyor is much simpler to use.

alanfe...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2023, 10:04:53 AM8/25/23
Greetings!

What is the invocation for sftp?
TIA!

Volker Halle

Aug 25, 2023, 1:54:57 PM8/25/23
alanfe...@gmail.com schrieb am Freitag, 25. August 2023 um 16:04:53 UTC+2:

> What is the invocation for sftp?

From OpenVMS:

$ sftp user...@eisner.decuserve.org#22867

Regards,
Volker.

alanfe...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2023, 4:21:44 PM8/25/23
Didn't work. But I found something that did. I'm surprised I didn't try it:

sftp -P 22867 us...@eisner.decuserve.org

Yeah, I went to that site, but couldn't find sftp. No matter. I finally guessed the correct command.

Steven Schweda

Aug 25, 2023, 6:21:38 PM8/25/23
> [...] I finally guessed the correct command.

RTFM?

ITS $ help sftp

SFTP
[...]

The SFTP command supports many options, some of which are not
supported on OpenVMS. For a complete list of options, enter the
following command:

$ SFTP -h

ITS $ sftp -h
Usage: sftp2 [-D debug_level_spec] [-B batchfile] [-S path] [-h]
[-V] [-P port] [-b buffer_size]
[-4] [-6] "[-C]" [-o option_to_ssh2]
[user@]host[#port]

> From OpenVMS: [...]

Revealing where you wanted to use what might have been helpful, too.
Otherwise everyone else must guess, too.

alanfe...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2023, 8:08:58 PM8/25/23
On Friday, August 25, 2023 at 6:21:38 PM UTC-4, Steven Schweda wrote:
> > [...] I finally guessed the correct command.
>
> RTFM?

I did. No good. Got the -P, but got the port number wrong. The manual doesn't have the port number. I thought it would be different for ssh and sftp.

[...]

> Revealing where you wanted to use what might have been helpful, too.
> Otherwise everyone else must guess, too.

Touché'. (Touche', if the diacritical thingie doesn't work.) I should have mentioned I'm working on a Mac. Sorry. "My bad!"

alanfe...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2023, 2:22:02 PM8/26/23
Also, who knows what other "options" (or "switches") in that wonderful, lengthy man page I might need? And there are a lot more options on the Mac than are listed above.

alan...@iMac-3 ~ % sftp -h
usage: sftp [-46AaCfNpqrv] [-B buffer_size] [-b batchfile] [-c cipher]
[-D sftp_server_path] [-F ssh_config] [-i identity_file]
[-J destination] [-l limit] [-o ssh_option] [-P port]
[-R num_requests] [-S program] [-s subsystem | sftp_server]
destination
alanfeldman@iMac-3 ~ %

Again, sorry about not indicating my OS.

Johnny Billquist

Aug 27, 2023, 10:32:36 AM8/27/23
sftp under VMS appears to use # after the host to indicate port.
That won't work on OSX. But checking the man-page:

The destination may be specified either as [user@]host[:path] or
as a URI
in the form sftp://[user@]host[:port][/path].

Notice how you cannot give a port in the first form. -P is your only way
then.

: is usually used to separate host from port in most tools, but since
sftp uses : to separate host from path, there is a conflict on this one.

Johnny