TIN on OpenVMS ?

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Peter LANGSTOEGER

unread,
Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
to
I've "tin 1.2 PL2v9 [VAX/VMS]".

*) Is there a newer version of TIN ?
I recently heard of a V1.4. Comments ?

*) Is there a newer version of TIN for VMS ?
I once (1997 ?) saw a V1.3 beta announced here (ftp.*.de ?).
Did it get official ?

*) Does current TIN use XOVER ?
I heard of our news admin, that old versions do not, and current do.
Any confirmation (before I dig into with a SNIFFER) ?

TIA

--
Peter "EPLAN" LANGSTOEGER Tel. +43 1 81111-2651
Network and OpenVMS system manager Fax. +43 1 81111-888
FBFV/Information Services E-mail ep...@kapsch.net
<<< KAPSCH AG Wagenseilgasse 1 PSImail PSI%(0232)281001141::EPLAN
A-1121 VIENNA AUSTRIA "I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist"
"VMS is today what Microsoft wants Windows NT V8.0 to be!" Compaq, 22-Sep-1998

Jerry Leslie

unread,
Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
to
Peter LANGSTOEGER (ep...@kapsch.net) wrote:
: I've "tin 1.2 PL2v9 [VAX/VMS]".

: *) Is there a newer version of TIN ?
: I recently heard of a V1.4. Comments ?

: *) Is there a newer version of TIN for VMS ?
: I once (1997 ?) saw a V1.3 beta announced here (ftp.*.de ?).
: Did it get official ?
:

: *) Does current TIN use XOVER ?
: I heard of our news admin, that old versions do not, and current do.
: Any confirmation (before I dig into with a SNIFFER) ?

tango.cchs.su.edu.au has the VMS version of 'tin'; here's what's
at that site, minus the file protections:

$ ftp tango.cchs.su.edu.au
.
.
.
FTP> dir
200 Port 4.29 at Host 128.42.105.4 accepted.
150 List started.

USER1:[FTP.VMS.TIN]

TIN-1_22.DIR;1 1 13-OCT-1995 22:23 [FTP,ANONYMOUS]
TIN-1_3.INFO;1 4 13-OCT-1995 22:22 [FTP,ANONYMOUS]
TIN-1_3BETA-950824.TAR_GZ;1
1190 13-OCT-1995 22:28 [FTP,ANONYMOUS]
TIN-1_3BETA-950824.ZIP;1
1461 14-OCT-1995 15:37 [FTP,ANONYMOUS]
VMS-CONTRIB.DIR;1 1 18-OCT-1995 07:20 [EXTERNAL,TINVMS]

Total of 2657 blocks in 5 files.

IIRC, I found the above site via:

http://www.tin.org/
tin.org - TIN newsreader development headquarters

I don't recall seeing a v1.4 for VMS.

--Jerry Leslie (my opinions are strictly my own)

Peter LANGSTOEGER

unread,
Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
to
In article <8671cr$7q1$1...@joe.rice.edu>, les...@clio.rice.edu (Jerry Leslie) writes:
>Peter LANGSTOEGER (ep...@kapsch.net) wrote:
>: I've "tin 1.2 PL2v9 [VAX/VMS]".
>
>: *) Is there a newer version of TIN ?
>: I recently heard of a V1.4. Comments ?

To answer my own question: V1.4.1 of Dec-1999 is the newest.

>: *) Is there a newer version of TIN for VMS ?
>: I once (1997 ?) saw a V1.3 beta announced here (ftp.*.de ?).
>: Did it get official ?

So far no answer.
Only some URLs (eg. tango.cchs.su.edu.au, ftp.scn.de) of V1.3 Beta pop up.
Is this 1995 version really the latest version of TIN ?

No C programmer willing to port newest version of TIN ?
I'm unfortunately still not able to meet this requirement...

>: *) Does current TIN use XOVER ?
>: I heard of our news admin, that old versions do not, and current do.
>: Any confirmation (before I dig into with a SNIFFER) ?

So far no answer. Ok I wait some more days before I jump into the SNIFFER.

Still hoping (and TIA)

T.E.Dickey

unread,
Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
to
Peter LANGSTOEGER <ep...@kapsch.net> wrote:
> In article <8671cr$7q1$1...@joe.rice.edu>, les...@clio.rice.edu (Jerry Leslie) writes:
>>Peter LANGSTOEGER (ep...@kapsch.net) wrote:
>>: I've "tin 1.2 PL2v9 [VAX/VMS]".
>>
>>: *) Is there a newer version of TIN ?
>>: I recently heard of a V1.4. Comments ?

> To answer my own question: V1.4.1 of Dec-1999 is the newest.

>>: *) Is there a newer version of TIN for VMS ?
>>: I once (1997 ?) saw a V1.3 beta announced here (ftp.*.de ?).
>>: Did it get official ?

> So far no answer.
> Only some URLs (eg. tango.cchs.su.edu.au, ftp.scn.de) of V1.3 Beta pop up.
> Is this 1995 version really the latest version of TIN ?

950824 is probably it - no one's been porting to VMS afaik.

If someone's interested in reviving it, I can offer advice (I've been working
on TIN off/on since 1993).

(it's been a few years since I had direct access to VMS, and at that point
there was no way to test a news feed on that box - I don't know of anyone
else who was doing more recent work for VMS).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
dic...@clark.net
http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey

Roar Thronæs

unread,
Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
to
T.E.Dickey <dic...@shell.clark.net> wrote:

I have tried compiling some pre-1.4s on VAX/VMS 7.1 using UCX.
It does require a few source modifications before it will compile.
When ran, it is capable of connecting to the news server, but there
seems to be a problem with line breaks; the server does not see them.

-Roar Thronæs

T.E.Dickey

unread,
Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
to
Roar Thronęs <ro...@nvg.ntnu.no> wrote:

> I have tried compiling some pre-1.4s on VAX/VMS 7.1 using UCX.
> It does require a few source modifications before it will compile.
> When ran, it is capable of connecting to the news server, but there
> seems to be a problem with line breaks; the server does not see them.

The only thing that comes to mind (shouldn't be an issue with VMS) is
the changes I made to accommodate curses libraries: in that configuration,
the embedded \r\n in a lot of strings had to be changed to \n. That in
turn required some adjustments to the code that talked to the server (since
some of the strings were used both for display and for the server)

But the existing code for VMS didn't use curses -- so that's probably not it.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages