# software products containing encryption and allow industries to set their
# own standards.
# The report was prepared by the National Research Council of the National
# Academy of Sciences, and stands in direct opposition to the Clinton
# The National Research Council provides science and technology advice
# under a Congressional charter.
# The report was commissioned by Congress.
Clipper III is a Key Recovery plan.
We know what Key Recovery means...
: The Puzzle Palace, Author James Bamford, 1983 revision, p407-409
: Crypto A.G. was owned by Boris Hagelin, who made his first million
: selling his machines to the United States Army. He had close ties
: to the NSA...
Covert Action Quarterly, #59:
* In October 1996, after being endorsed by CIA director John Deutch,
* this method of maintaining the government's ability to spy on
* encrypted communications REPLACED KEY ESCROW as the favored
* technology. KEY RECOVERY works by locating information that is
* woven into the header of each message. This mechanism allows
* a recovery 'agent' to extract or reconstruct the message's key
* and decrypt its contents.
* Key recovery may have been the basis for NSA's most successful
* post-Cold War project for deciphering coded messages. Since the
* 1940's, the NSA reportedly rigged encryption systems sold by the
* Swiss firm Crypto A.G. so that the agency retained the ability
* to break the codes of anyone using the machines.
* Thus, Fort Meade was able to listen in on the coded military and
* diplomatic traffic of the more than 130 countries that were Crypto
* A.G. customers.
Initially, the NSA tried to say they couldn't decrypt Key Recovery
impaired traffic on the fly:
! The New York Times, December 29, 19??, by David Burnham
! "Vast Coding of Data is Urged to Hamper Electronic Spies"
! Because the National
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGPfreeware 0.4.2
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----