Is it possible to find the number of free system buffers (max buffers defined by KC_NMSGBUF)

Ni

May 6, 2008, 10:05:27 AM5/6/08
In one of our systems, we observe that the system is running out of
free system buffers which leads to a unrecoverable failure.

There was a piece of code in which a timer posted to a message queue
but due to a flag, the dequeue never happened. In order to verify that
there are no more issues in the system, i was wondering if i can use a
system call or a set of them to know the total number of free system
buffers.

I could not find a way to do that. Any help with the same will be much
appreciated.

Regards,
Nithin

Dietmar Schindler

May 7, 2008, 9:31:14 AM5/7/08
On May 6, 4:05 pm, Ni <nithinaprak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There was a piece of code in which a timer posted to a message queue
> but due to a flag, the dequeue never happened. In order to verify that
> there are no more issues in the system, i was wondering if i can use a
> system call or a set of them to know the total number of free system
> buffers.

As far as I can see, there is no such system call. Won't pROBE's QQ
command do?

Regards,
Dietmar

Martin Raabe

May 7, 2008, 4:23:37 PM5/7/08
Hello Ni et al,

Dietmar Schindler schrieb:

I have some questions:
- What is the Version and processor family you need the system call for?
- What would be the reaction, if there would be such system call?
- Where would you want to retrieve the number of free buffers?
In the timer code, in a management task or elsewhere?

PS: I did not get the original posting via news group.
Did this question come this way?
--
BaSystem Martin Raabe
E: Martin.Raabe<at>B-a-S-y-s-t-e-m<dot>de

spw

May 9, 2008, 3:52:07 PM5/9/08
On May 6, 10:05 am, Ni <nithinaprak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In order to verify that
> there are no more issues in the system, i was wondering if i can use a
> system call or a set of them to know the total number of free system
> buffers.

Most if not all of the pROBE query commands (QT, QS, etc) are
available in a C API
for your application to use without having pROBE resident on your
board, through
the query library, which you might be able to get from Wind River if
you still have
maintenance.

- Steve Wall

Ni

May 12, 2008, 5:16:49 AM5/12/08

We cant use pROBE as we are running pSOS over PowerPC

Ni

May 12, 2008, 5:25:47 AM5/12/08

> I have some questions:
> - What is the Version and processor family you need the system call for?
> - What would be the reaction, if there would be such system call?
> - Where would you want to retrieve the number of free buffers?
> In the timer code, in a management task or elsewhere?
>
> PS: I did not get the original posting via news group.
> Did this question come this way?
> --
> BaSystem Martin Raabe
> E: Martin.Raabe<at>B-a-S-y-s-t-e-m<dot>de

- What is the Version and processor family you need the system call
for?

pSOS 2.1 on PowerPC

- What would be the reaction, if there would be such system call?

I would expect a return value of the total number of system
buffers unused.

- Where would you want to retrieve the number of free buffers? In the
timer code, in a management task or elsewhere?

CLI or management task on query.

Martin Raabe

May 12, 2008, 10:43:46 AM5/12/08
Hello Ni,

Ni schrieb:

> - What is the Version and processor family you need the system call
> for?
> pSOS 2.1 on PowerPC

We need the pSOSystem Version, which is a high level VErsion number for
all components.
There is a slight chance that you retrieved just the pSOS+ component's
version number.
If you meant the pSOSystem Version number to be 2.1, then...

Unfortunately the Version 2.1 is not supported by the query library.
This came up for 2.3 and 2.5 only (as far as I remember).
Version 2.1 sounds like the GHS version, right? or is it the Diab
Compiler Version?
If the latter one, there is a chance to get the TCB(Task Control Block)
definitions and other structures like QCB from Wind river on request.
But I would not have too much hope.

Unfortunately ISI did not make this information available
programatically in the "early days".

> - What would be the reaction, if there would be such system call?
> I would expect a return value of the total number of system
> buffers unused.

So you need to write your own routines, which might be difficult without
the structure data.

> - Where would you want to retrieve the number of free buffers? In the
> timer code, in a management task or elsewhere?
> CLI or management task on query.

The easiest way would be to upgrade to Version 2.3 or 2.5.
This is not an easy task to do, unfortunately. :-(

Sorry for the bad news.

Take care

Martin

spw

May 12, 2008, 11:50:28 AM5/12/08
On May 12, 10:43 am, Martin Raabe <Martin.Raabe@NOSPAM_BaSystem.de>
wrote:

> This came up for 2.3 and 2.5 only (as far as I remember).

Not so. We are using the query library with pSOS 2.2.2 for PPC.

I have no information for 2.1, however.

- Steve