[9fans] 9GridChan

Shane Morris

Aug 27, 2013, 5:45:57 PM8/27/13
Hello all,

Is this the place where I would go to get help on the 9GridChan images and software? I have asked a number of times on FreeNode IRC, to no avail.

Even though I know the documentation is developing, it is a bit vague in most concepts - I have a 9worker image running with "gui" but I am unable to Drawterm in. Auth server is mentioned in the documentation as "-a dead.ip" - surely thats a typo?

With help, I would be willing to write docos for the community, I enjoyed the exposition on the editing of the Plan 9 wiki with Acme. Seems so simple, compared to everything else.

Thanks in advance for any help that may be given.

Shane.

Anthony Sorace

Aug 27, 2013, 11:00:49 PM8/27/13
I think this list and #plan9 on freenode are your best options. I
don't believe many people are using the 9gridchan stuff directly
at this point, but all the fundamentals are the same as any other
Plan 9 system. It may require a bit of poking, but I'm sure folks in
one of those two places can help you out.

#plan9 on freenode can be a great place to get help, but like any
small IRC channel, it's sort of hit-or-miss who you get. If nobody
in the room at the moment can help, try again later. I haven't seen
any 9gridchan questions recently.

Anthony

Shane Morris

Aug 27, 2013, 11:10:50 PM8/27/13

Thank you for the reply. Of course I should've tried #plan9 - I must've switched off higher reasoning. Too excited to play Plan 9 again perhaps?

Of another question, do many members of the list run Plan 9 on VIA systems? We all know their support for Linux can be a bit woeful, but they say (in the specs) the newer USB3.0 systems have specific Linux support. I suppose the question should more be "Do many members use QEMU on VIA systems for Plan 9?" And perhaps this isn't exactly the place... for the list to decide.

Thanks again, I'll connect XChat to #plan9 when I return home this evening.

Matthew Veety

Aug 27, 2013, 11:21:51 PM8/27/13
I haven't heard anything from mycroftiv in a while. I think the best option would be to email him directly.

erik quanstrom

Aug 27, 2013, 11:33:13 PM8/27/13
> Of another question, do many members of the list run Plan 9 on VIA
> systems? We all know their support for Linux can be a bit woeful, but
> they say (in the specs) the newer USB3.0 systems have specific Linux
> support. I suppose the question should more be "Do many members use
> QEMU on VIA systems for Plan 9?" And perhaps this isn't exactly the
> place... for the list to decide.

until recently, we ran plan 9 on native via. they were ok terminals.
but for $99 in 2008, not bad at all.

- erik

Shane Morris

Aug 27, 2013, 11:37:49 PM8/27/13

Yes, I've emailed him direct, in an effort to garner some knowledge. Time will tell. Wish me luck...!