OS-9 68K setime Y2K issue

44 views
Skip to first unread message

Michael Evenson

unread,
Dec 10, 2019, 2:49:14 PM12/10/19
to
Well, the serial mouse I ordered for my CDS68K (PT68K-5) finally arrived and is working great. Now that I can actually use the system, I have discovered that the setime utility will not accept 2019 as a year. Is there a patch available to setime to get past the Y2K problem with this OS?

Ralf Kiefer

unread,
Dec 10, 2019, 5:45:29 PM12/10/19
to
Michael Evenson wrote:

> Now that I can actually use the system, I have discovered that the setime
>utility will not accept 2019 as a year. Is there a patch available to
>setime to get past the Y2K problem with this OS?

Which version of the OS-9 is yours?

V2.3: no chance
V2.4: you must update some parts of your system, the version which is
y2k compatible will be 2.4.5
v3.0: no problem with y2k

Regards
Ralf

allenh...@gmail.com

unread,
Dec 10, 2019, 8:10:51 PM12/10/19
to
2.4.5? I thought the 2.9 release was specifically for Y2K? (It was given that number so it would be the "final" release to the 2.4 series. I was working for Microware at the time.)


Ralf Kiefer

unread,
Dec 10, 2019, 8:45:24 PM12/10/19
to
<allenh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2.4.5? I thought the 2.9 release was specifically for Y2K? (It was given
>that number so it would be the "final" release to the 2.4 series. I was
>working for Microware at the time.)

I think you're right from your position. I got the modules for updating
the 2.4 release from Dr. Keil in West Germany, and I remember a 2.4.5
release. I never got a 2.9 release for our Eltec E6 and Motorola
MVME167.

Probably I just got the necessary modules (rbf, setime, free, the rtc
driver, ...) and did an increment to the last release number before.

Regards
Ralf

Michael Evenson

unread,
Dec 11, 2019, 7:36:09 AM12/11/19
to
On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 8:45:24 PM UTC-5, Ralf Kiefer wrote:
Thank you gentlemen. It appears that I do indeed have Version 2.4. Do you have any idea how one would go about getting the updates? In the meantime I will see if I can locate the necessary files to update the version that I have.

Regards,
Mike

Ralf Kiefer

unread,
Dec 13, 2019, 11:09:12 AM12/13/19
to
Michael Evenson wrote:

> Do you have any idea how one would go about getting the updates? In the
> meantime I will see if I can locate the necessary files to update the
> version that I have.

20 years ago the general advice was to ask your seller or the
manufacturer of your hardware for an update. Or Microware.

If you want to patch the rbf and use another setime look here:
ftp://www.wb5qng.org/OS9/OSK/DRIVERS/y2kit.tgz

If there is an issue with the clock driver ... ?
Write your own driver based on clean Microware code or based on
disassembled code. Or find another owner who got running code.

Regards
Ralf

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages