Installing OS/2 from hdd

Stefan Haupt

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

Hi
Is it possible to install os/2 from a harddisk since I am going to
install os/2 on a laptop with no cd-rom and I am not sure whether pcmcia
support will work during boot. I can access the drive under dos/windows
though.... so I could perhaps copy some files....?

Regards
Stefan Haupt

remove .spam before replying....

David Kunz

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

On Thu, 04 Jun 1998 08:21:56 +0200, Stefan Haupt wrote:

>Hi Is it possible to install os/2 from a harddisk since I am going
>to install os/2 on a laptop with no cd-rom and I am not sure whether
>pcmcia support will work during boot. I can access the drive under
>dos/windows though.... so I could perhaps copy some files....?

I've done this with my son's laptop. Here're 2 files from IBM on the
subject that got me going...

OSINCDDK - HARD DISK TO HARD DISK INSTALLATION ON LAPTOPS
01/09/97

Hard Disk to Hard Disk Installation on Laptops

Please Read Entire Document for Full Explanation of Procedures

DESCRIPTION

This document describes the steps necessary to install OS/2 Warp from
the hard drive on laptop systems which cannot use the diskette drive
and CD-ROM drive at the same time.

RESOLUTION

Hard Drive to Hard Drive Installation

1. Start your system with the CD-ROM drive attached and the OS/2 Warp
CD-ROM in the drive.

2. Make a temporary directory called TEMP; type MD TEMP and
press Enter.

3. Type

XCOPY X:\os2image\*.* /S C:\TEMP and press Enter.

where:

X: is the CD-ROM drive, and
C: is a drive containing enough disk space to place
the images and OS/2.

4. Restart the system with the diskette drive attached.
Create a DISKCOPY of the OS/2 Warp Diskette 1 by typing
the following at the command prompt:

DISKCOPY A: A:

5. With the DISKCOPY of Diskette 1 in the drive, type
COPY A:\CONFIG.SYS A:\CONFIG.001, then press Enter.

6. Use a text editor to edit the CONFIG.SYS on the new Diskette 1 and
make the following changes:

buffers=32
iopl=yes
memman=swap,delayswap
protshell=sysinst1.exe
set os2_shell=sysinst2.exe C:\temp
diskcache=D2,LW
protectonly=yes
libpath=.;\;\os2\dll;\os2\install;
ifs=hpfs.ifs /c:64
pauseonerror=no
codepage=850
devinfo=kbd,us,keyboard.dcp
devinfo=scr,ega,vtbl850.dcp
device=\dos.sys
device=\mouse.sys
set path=\;\os2;\os2\system;\os2\install
set dpath=\;\os2;\os2\system;\os2\install
set keys=on
basedev=ibmkbd.sys
basedev=ibm1flpy.add
basedev=ibm1s506.add /A:0 /!bm
rem basedev=ibm2flpy.add
rem basedev=ibm2adsk.add
rem basedev=ibm2scsi.add
rem basedev=ibmint13.i13
basedev=os2dasd.dmd
device=\testcfg.sys
basedev=xdfloppy.flt

rem set os2_shell=cdinst.exe
rem set saveconnect=1
rem set cdrominst=1
rem ifs=cdfs.ifs /q
rem basedev=aha152x.add
rem basedev=aha154x.add
rem basedev=aha164x.add
rem basedev=aha174x.add
rem basedev=aic7870.add
rem basedev=btscsi.add
rem basedev=fd16-700.add
rem basedev=fd8xx.add
rem basedev=fd7000ex.add
rem basedev=dpt20xx.add
rem basedev=dac960.add
rem basedev=flashpt.add
rem basedev=ipsraid.add
rem basedev=ql10os2.add
rem basedev=ql40os2.add
rem basedev=ql510.add
rem basedev=chincds1.flt
rem basedev=hitcds1.flt
rem basedev=neccds1.flt
rem basedev=sonycds1.flt
rem basedev=toshcds1.flt
rem basedev=ibmidecd.flt
rem basedev=tmv1scsi.add
rem basedev=sony535.add
rem basedev=lms206.add
rem 154569 basedev=lms205.add
rem basedev=mitfx001.add
rem basedev=sbcd2.add
rem device=\os2cdrom.dmd
rem set os2_shell=cdboot.exe
rem set oemprogram=\ibminst\npconfig.exe
rem set exitwhendone=1

Save and Exit the file.

7. You can begin the OS/2 installation with the following:

- OS/2 Warp Installation Diskette
- OS/2 Warp Diskette 1, modified as in step 6
- Diskette images in the \TEMP directory on the hard disk

Insert the OS/2 Installation Diskette in drive A: and restart
the system. When prompted for Diskette 1, use the modified copy.

warp4
IBM disclaims all warranties, whether express or implied, including
without limitation, warranties of fitness and merchantability with
respect to the information in this document. By furnishing this
document, IBM grants no licenses to any related patents or copyrights.
Copyright (c) 1994, 1995 IBM Corporation. Any trademarks and product
or brand names referenced in this document are the property of their
respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark
information.

OSINHDLT - HARD DISK TO HARD DISK INSTALLATION FOR LAPTOPS WITH
SWAPPABLE CD-ROM AND DISKETTE DRIVES
11/14/96
Hard Disk to Hard Disk Installation for Laptops with Swappable CD-ROM
and Diskette Drives

Please Read Entire Document for Full Explanation of Procedures
DESCRIPTION

This document describes the steps necessary to install OS/2 Warp from
the hard drive on laptop systems which cannot use the diskette drive
and CD-ROM drive at the same time.

RESOLUTION

Hard Disk to Hard Disk Installation

1. Start your system with the CD-ROM drive attached and the OS/2 Warp
CD-ROM in the drive.

2. Make a temporary directory on the hard drive called TEMP; type MD
TEMP, then press Enter.

3. Type

XCOPY X:\OS2IMAGE\*.* /S C:\TEMP and press Enter.

where:

X: is the CD-ROM drive, and
C: is a drive that contains enough disk space to place
the images and OS/2 (approximately 190 MB for OS/2 Warp 4).

4. Type the following:

MD C:\DISK1, then press Enter
XCOPY X:\OS2IMAGE\DISK_1\*.* C:\DISK1, then press Enter

where:

X: is the CD-ROM drive, and
C: is a partition on the hard drive.

5. Swap in the diskette drive; insert a formatted diskette and type the
following:

XCOPY C:\DISK1\*.* A:\, then press Enter
LABEL A: DISK 1, then press Enter

6. Edit the CONFIG.SYS on the new DISK 1.

Change: SET OS2_SHELL=SYSINST2.EXE
To: SET OS2_SHELL=SYSINST2.EXE C:\TEMP

Save and Exit the file.

7. To start the installation you will need the following:

- The original OS/2 Warp Installation Diskette
- The modified DISK 1
- The original DISK 2 (for OS/2 Warp 4 only)
- Diskette images in the TEMP directory on the hard disk

Insert the OS/2 Installation Diskette in drive A: and restart
your system. Insert the modified DISK 1 when prompted for DISK 1.

warp4
IBM disclaims all warranties, whether express or implied, including
without limitation, warranties of fitness and merchantability with
respect to the information in this document. By furnishing this
document, IBM grants no licenses to any related patents or copyrights.
Copyright (c) 1994, 1995 IBM Corporation. Any trademarks and product
or brand names referenced in this document are the property of their
respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark
information.

David Kunz

Jeff Sumner

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998 06:21:56, Stefan Haupt <s_s_s...@post9.tele.dk>
wrote:

> Hi
> Is it possible to install os/2 from a harddisk since I am going to
> install os/2 on a laptop with no cd-rom and I am not sure whether pcmcia
> support will work during boot

Coitenly! I did it to the Thinkpad 760 XL here, before I bought the
external floppy case. Just make a secondary partition, copy the CD
there and use the regular boot disks. Makes installs FAST!

JD

Victor Bien

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98
to Stefan Haupt

Stefan Haupt wrote:

> Hi
> Is it possible to install os/2 from a harddisk since I am going to
> install os/2 on a laptop with no cd-rom and I am not sure whether pcmcia
> support will work during boot. I can access the drive under dos/windows
> though.... so I could perhaps copy some files....?

The basic principle you have to observe is to get not only the regular
filesystem files across but also OS/2's extended attribute (EAs).
DOS/Windows don't know anything about EAs. So you can't just copy files
under that environment and get sensible results. You have to prepare
some OS/2 floppies to boot up the notebook so that the PCMCIA and any
other necessary drivers are loaded. Then OS/2's XCOPY command with /s
/e switched will copy everything across. It is desirable to remove
incompatible drivers from the source: use VGA, no sound etc. Don't
forget OS/2 drives the hardware hard. If you copy across inappropriate
things you may get OS/2 or your machine going crazy!

--
Victor Bien
VCB Computing (R)