LPEX replacement or how to fix it?

Trevor Hemsley

Dec 9, 2010, 9:21:43 PM12/9/10
Hi all, I'm searching for a GUI replacement for the LPEX editor as mine has
stopped functioning properly since I changed screens and switched resolutions
from 1600x1200 to 1920x1200 (a fix for LPEX would be even better!). I want
something that does colour highlighting of code, automatic indentation and all
the things a programmer's editor ought to do.

Symptoms of how LPEX is broken: fire it up and edit a file and the top two
inches of the editor window is dead space that doesn't repaint if it's covered
by another window. Higlight a line with the mouse and swipe it and it actually
highlights a line 8 lines below where the mouse is. Same with the cursor if you
position the I beam somewhere and press enter, it inserts a new line 8 lines
below where the I beam appears. It just seems that LPEX doesn't like non-4:3
resolutions.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

Andreas Buchinger

Dec 10, 2010, 2:10:57 PM12/10/10
VisualSlickEdit. Unfortunately 4.0 is the lastest OS/2 version. Look at edm.com
developers section for others. But VS is by far the most advanced/usefull OS/2
programmers editor I know.

Regards,
Andi

tho...@antispam.ham

Dec 10, 2010, 3:25:16 PM12/10/10
Andreas Buchinger <and...@gmx.net> writes:

> VisualSlickEdit. Unfortunately 4.0 is the lastest OS/2 version. Look at edm.com
> developers section for others. But VS is by far the most advanced/usefull OS/2
> programmers editor I know.

I'm quite fond of the RimStar programmer's editor, which has a BRIEF
emulation mode that is fairly true to the original. I recall that
Brian Smith had a version of RimStar for Windows, but the web site
is gone, and I can't find any information about RimStar for Windows.

Lars Erdmann

Dec 12, 2010, 5:26:35 AM12/12/10

What you could do is write a DLL-style macro that subclasses the window procedure
and increases the client window to the proper size. You can then permanently load
that macro from the "profinit.lx" file.
However, that will take some programming skills plus some "trial and error" + "reverse
engineering" approach.
If you are interested I could provide some sample code (the code for my drgdrp macro).
It's not what you exactly need but it'll give you some general concepts.

Lars

Alex Taylor

Dec 12, 2010, 9:38:15 AM12/12/10
On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 02:21:43 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
<Trevor....@mytrousers.ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Hi all, I'm searching for a GUI replacement for the LPEX editor as mine
> has stopped functioning properly since I changed screens and switched
> resolutions from 1600x1200 to 1920x1200 (a fix for LPEX would be even
> better!). I want something that does colour highlighting of code,
> automatic indentation and all the things a programmer's editor ought to
> do.

I personally swear by MED:
http://www.utopia-planitia.de/indexus.html
The website still lists the OS/2 version for sale, although I've no
idea how current that is. You can try the demo version out; IIRC it's
not crippled significantly. (I've had it registered for years, and
never regretted it.)

It's full-featured, powerful, and nicely configurable. It does have
a few "quirks" which I've learned to get used to (the main one OOTOMH
is that marking with Shift+Left very occasionally doesn't work properly,
but that's pretty trivial).

--
Alex Taylor
Fukushima, Japan

Please take off hat when replying.

Andreas Buchinger

Dec 18, 2010, 11:46:25 AM12/18/10
I've registered MED too. Not sure if you can buy it anymore cause I did not get
any response to my latest email requests. But only drawback of non registered
version is, you can only print formated once a session.

MED is my favorite editor for all editing work except programming. VS is by far
more advanced than MED. Like project management, tagging....

Andi

Alex Taylor

Dec 19, 2010, 6:26:01 AM12/19/10
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 16:46:25 UTC, Andreas Buchinger <and...@gmx.net> wrote:

> MED is my favorite editor for all editing work except programming. VS is
> by far more advanced than MED. Like project management, tagging....

If you mean Visual SlickEdit... I've heard rumours of its awesomeness
before, but I'm pretty sure it stopped being available before I ever
even started using OS/2...

Lars Erdmann

Dec 20, 2010, 1:30:13 PM12/20/10
By the way: have you played around with the editor command "set windowpos" and see what happens ?
Have you run editor command "query screen" and see what it reports ?

Lars

Trevor Hemsley

Dec 20, 2010, 4:45:13 PM12/20/10
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 18:30:13 UTC in comp.os.os2.programmer.tools, Lars Erdmann
<lars.e...@arcor.de> wrote:

> By the way: have you played around with the editor command "set windowpos" and see what happens ?
> Have you run editor command "query screen" and see what it reports ?

I tried set windowpos after your post and all that seems to do is resize the
window and/or change its position, it doesn't affect the unpainted area at the
top of the editor window. A query screen says "SCREEN 80 274 (pels: 1200 x 1920
charsize: 7 x 15)". Dispwidth is 170 and dispdepth is 65.

Lars Erdmann

Dec 20, 2010, 5:24:28 PM12/20/10
Trevor Hemsley wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 18:30:13 UTC in comp.os.os2.programmer.tools, Lars Erdmann
> <lars.e...@arcor.de> wrote:
>
>> By the way: have you played around with the editor command "set windowpos" and see what happens ?
>> Have you run editor command "query screen" and see what it reports ?
>
> I tried set windowpos after your post and all that seems to do is resize the
> window and/or change its position, it doesn't affect the unpainted area at the
> top of the editor window. A query screen says "SCREEN 80 274 (pels: 1200 x 1920
> charsize: 7 x 15)". Dispwidth is 170 and dispdepth is 65.

Try to select a 8x16 font and see if that makes a difference. If all else fails you will have to
take the "write a DLL-style macro to fix the client size" approach that I suggested earlier.

Lars