configure fails on some occasions

Mentore Siesto

Dec 8, 2014, 5:38:01 PM12/8/14
Hello all...

I'm getting back on some open source port for OS/2 - eCS, and
sometimes I find myself stuck in the configure hell.

In some occasions, configure stop
--
Mentore Siesto

Dave Yeo

Dec 8, 2014, 7:19:03 PM12/8/14
Mentore Siesto wrote:
> Hello all...
>
> I'm getting back on some open source port for OS/2 - eCS, and
> sometimes I find myself stuck in the configure hell.
>
> In some occasions, configure stop

What shell? Did you run autoconf? Do you have a config.site? Where does
it stop (might need to look in config.log)?
Dave

Mentore

Dec 9, 2014, 5:19:13 AM12/9/14
Sorry for the abruptedly cut message - my keyboard is really upsetting me sending commands randomly :(

Sometimes, the configure script fails loading my config-site (which exists). This occurs only in some occasions and I can't understand why. Other configure files (for other projects, of course!) work without problems.

I'm using the latest PDKSH, but I never ran autoconf. This could be the main culprit (together with my ignorance about running autoconf, alas).

That said, it seems that a "normal" configure script often asks for some commands like "test", "builtin" and "function" which I don't have and should serve as tests for particular platform. I guess an autoconf run might solve all those problems - still, I have to learn how to use it.

I have also some strange problems in porting SDL or Qt applications, but those issues should be relatively easy to fix (type mismatches, some not found libraries and basically header files woes). I'll try to get my hands on the latest autoconf and learn to use it.

Thanks,
Mentore

Dave Yeo

Dec 9, 2014, 11:14:29 AM12/9/14
Mentore wrote:

>> >What shell? Did you run autoconf? Do you have a config.site? Where does
>> >it stop (might need to look in config.log)?
>> >Dave
> Sorry for the abruptedly cut message - my keyboard is really upsetting me sending commands randomly:(
>
> Sometimes, the configure script fails loading my config-site (which exists). This occurs only in some occasions and I can't understand why. Other configure files (for other projects, of course!) work without problems.
>
> I'm using the latest PDKSH, but I never ran autoconf. This could be the main culprit (together with my ignorance about running autoconf, alas).

I usually have success with the latest PDKSH, previous builds
occaionally hung but never before loading config.site.

> That said, it seems that a "normal" configure script often asks for some commands like "test", "builtin" and "function" which I don't have and should serve as tests for particular platform. I guess an autoconf run might solve all those problems - still, I have to learn how to use it.

Those functions should be built into the shell though PDKSH is old and
doesn't support some such as test -x (test for executable).
I usually don't run autoconf but it is required in the YUM/RPM
environment. Really if you're going to install autoconf, you also should
install automake and libtool (and they depend on perl).

> I have also some strange problems in porting SDL or Qt applications, but those issues should be relatively easy to fix (type mismatches, some not found libraries and basically header files woes). I'll try to get my hands on the latest autoconf and learn to use it.

Dave

Mentore

Dec 9, 2014, 11:47:54 AM12/9/14
Il giorno martedì 9 dicembre 2014 17:14:29 UTC+1, Dave Yeo ha scritto:
> Mentore wrote:

> > Sorry for the abruptedly cut message - my keyboard is really upsetting me sending commands randomly:(
> >
> > Sometimes, the configure script fails loading my config-site (which exists). This occurs only in some occasions and I can't understand why. Other configure files (for other projects, of course!) work without problems.
> >
> > I'm using the latest PDKSH, but I never ran autoconf. This could be the main culprit (together with my ignorance about running autoconf, alas).
>
> I usually have success with the latest PDKSH, previous builds
> occaionally hung but never before loading config.site.

The same goes for me. I do remember similar problems with ash and bash, but will try again.

> > That said, it seems that a "normal" configure script often asks for some commands like "test", "builtin" and "function" which I don't have and should serve as tests for particular platform. I guess an autoconf run might solve all those problems - still, I have to learn how to use it.
>
> Those functions should be built into the shell though PDKSH is old and
> doesn't support some such as test -x (test for executable).
> I usually don't run autoconf but it is required in the YUM/RPM
> environment. Really if you're going to install autoconf, you also should
> install automake and libtool (and they depend on perl).

I surely have to learn how to use autoconf. Modifying a configure script is a huge PITA.

Mentore

KO Myung-Hun

Dec 9, 2014, 7:43:10 PM12/9/14
Hi/2.

Dave Yeo wrote:
> Those functions should be built into the shell though PDKSH is old and
> doesn't support some such as test -x (test for executable).

pdksh is old but supports test -x.

--
KO Myung-Hun

Using Mozilla SeaMonkey 2.7.2
Under OS/2 Warp 4 for Korean with FixPak #15
In VirtualBox v4.1.32 on Intel Core i7-3615QM 2.30GHz with 8GB RAM

Korean OS/2 User Community : http://www.ecomstation.co.kr

Dave Yeo

Dec 10, 2014, 1:40:25 AM12/10/14
KO Myung-Hun wrote:
> Hi/2.
>
> Dave Yeo wrote:
>> >Those functions should be built into the shell though PDKSH is old and
>> >doesn't support some such as test -x (test for executable).
> pdksh is old but supports test -x.

Probably mis-remembering
Dave